Update Cycle? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Live Meshers,

I am nearly completely cut-off from accessing my Mesh.  The "Stargate" icon  now has a permanent red X over it.  I cannot log into it at all.  Whenever I try, it fails with a "Mesh Environment has stopped responding" message.  Information is then gathered and placed into the “Problem Reports and Solutions” program and uploaded to Microsoft.  So far I have submitted 41 such reports in the last week.  I have 3 computer (devices) in my Mesh.  Home-Office system running Vista Ultimate SP1, an office system running Windows XP Professional SP2, and finally Windows Server 2003 R2 Standard Edition SP2.  Only the Windows Server can log into the Mesh from the desktop Stargate icon.  The other two system can only attach via Internet Explorer.  Since they cannot login to the “cloud” they don’t sync with each other either.   I posted a bug report and two service logs on connect.microsoft.com via the Feedback link.  Someone named Tim stated:  "This problem has been fixed in the latest update, which we will be releasing very soon. Please let us know if this does not go away." 

My question is:  What is the update cycle?  Are new updated made once a month, as needed or whenever some one gets around to releasing them? 

<edit>
    So I tried one more time to log in from my Mesh icon.  The blue login screen appears and I type in my hotmail user ID and password.  I now get the following:

(X) Unable to sign in to Live Mesh.
           Please make sure your user name and password are correct.

Request to MOE failed with status code:
           503 Service not available

(OK)

Now I KNOW! that my user name and password are correct because I just logged into Hotmail with them and it worked just fine.  What's up with Live Mesh?
    </edit>

Friday, August 15, 2008 5:48 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Steve is correct that we release updates when we're confident they'll improve things, and not the reverse. ;)

In this case, I'm afraid I'm going to have to ask you to be patient.  Tim is correct that we have an update in the works that should resolve this problem, but we're not quite ready to release it yet.  We will definitely let everyone know when the update is ready.  Perhaps it is also worth mentioning that your Live Mesh software should update automatically within 24 hours after any new update is released (though you can force the update by right-clicking the Notifier and selecting Update Live Mesh).

Thank you for bearing with us as we continue to improve Live Mesh.

Ben.
    Friday, August 15, 2008 7:40 PM

All replies

• Hey,

not certain this is the fix but it may help : http://forums.community.microsoft.com/en-US/LiveMesh/thread/bc729a4e-ce5c-4d2b-9266-6286d7e4540c

thx
    Angus Logan | Technical Product Manager | Windows Live Platform | http://blogs.msdn.com/angus_logan
    Friday, August 15, 2008 6:46 AM
  • Based on my experience, the updates are pushed when they are ready. There's no published release cycle, though there may be a target that the Mesh team works towards. Fixes are made and builds tested internally pretty extensively before being pushed to the public testers. The last thing they'd want to do is push out an update the fixes one thing and breaks a few others!
    -steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare Forum Moderator
    Friday, August 15, 2008 4:41 PM
  • Hi,

Steve is correct that we release updates when we're confident they'll improve things, and not the reverse. ;)

In this case, I'm afraid I'm going to have to ask you to be patient.  Tim is correct that we have an update in the works that should resolve this problem, but we're not quite ready to release it yet.  We will definitely let everyone know when the update is ready.  Perhaps it is also worth mentioning that your Live Mesh software should update automatically within 24 hours after any new update is released (though you can force the update by right-clicking the Notifier and selecting Update Live Mesh).

Thank you for bearing with us as we continue to improve Live Mesh.

Ben.
    Friday, August 15, 2008 7:40 PM
  • Hey Ben,

Thank you for the words of encouragement that a solution is in the works.  The problem has become mush worst on both my system and I cannot even get the Live Mesh program (big blue eye) to load into the system tray any more.  A solution cannot come fast enough for me.  As a web developer working 2 and a half days on site with a client, I have come to rely on Live Mesh to sync my home office Vista system will my client's XP Pro system so my files are always up-to-date.  I use the remote desktop feature to access my Outlook on my Vista system as well.  I feel so cut-off at this point.  I will keep checking for word of an update release but not certain how I can get it if the program doesn't even not any more. 
    Tuesday, August 19, 2008 11:35 PM