Error code 0017-80040276 RRS feed

• Question

• My error code is 0017-80040276. The installation stops as it gets to the downloading part.
    Things I've tried: a) set the right date b) uninstall dotNet framework 2.0 c) install Framework 3.5 d) turn firewall off e) uninstall any third-party Internet utilities and anti-virus f) install XML Parser 4.0 g) Windows Installer and BITS are working

None of the above helped. What should I do? Btw I have Windows Defender right now because there is no anti-virus installed. But I had both it and Live OneCare on my previous machine working just fine. I've got Win XP SP3.

Any suggestions?
    Friday, June 19, 2009 2:25 PM

Answers

All replies

• 0017 is a download error. Something is blocking the download of the files needed for installation.

See this post for the KB article to troubleshoot install problems - http://social.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/ba26b781-da18-4ce4-be8c-22647bd5d8fc/

This older thread may actually be the most helpful:
    http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/afff5e56-7f00-459a-b0e9-3ff47bfd0e82/

If none of that helps, please contact support.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90

-steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Friday, June 19, 2009 3:26 PM
  • I have the same problem here. After following all above mentioned options, I still can't install OC on this PC. As I have no valid installation there is no way to get phone help either (Validation fails because of lack of Productno. - I only have the Product Key of the box). What can I do? Box was opened so no return to retailer :(
    Tuesday, June 23, 2009 1:14 PM
  • You can still start an email case.

Unofficial path - send me an email at sboots@mvps.org with a subject line including "OneCare" (to get past my spam filtering) and in the message body, tell me what country you are in, your forum nickname, and paste this link:

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/dbd61ee5-e418-4163-888b-e663e9df5274

I am not online 24x7, so you may be waiting for a reply, but I'll do my best to hook you up with support.

If you don't get an email response from me wthin 24 hours, post back as my email provider is getting more aggressive with the spam filtering.

-steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Tuesday, June 23, 2009 1:26 PM
  • I'm having the same problem too, with the same error code.

Have tried all the above solutions & still no joy on getting the install to work. I have submitted an email request for support, so fingers crossed
    Tuesday, June 23, 2009 10:09 PM
  • Please do let us know the solution from support when they help you resolve it. Good luck.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
    Tuesday, June 23, 2009 11:57 PM
  • I received an email from support today, I tried everything & it still wouldn't install. Might help someone else here though. Currently not a happy customer as I am unable to continue my work, no way I will be plugging in my data drive to a PC that has no system protection software installed on it. TBH I'm not even comfortable connecting this pc to the web to get emails etc without some form of protection software, but as I only have an installation disk for 32bit onecare & have vista 64bit installed I'm effcetively stuck until this can get resolved.

Anyway, the suggestions in the email are;

The issue can be caused by the incorrect system time.

At this time, let us try the following steps to troubleshoot the issue.

Step 1: Check System Date and Time

=======================

1. Click Start, type "TIMEDATE.CPL" (without quotation marks) in the "Start Search" box and then click OK.

2. Please make sure that the System Date and Time are set correctly.

Please restart the computer and then try to install OneCare again. If the issue persists, let us try next steps.

Step 2: Manually uninstall OneCare

==================

1. Please download the tool from the following link and save it onto your hard disk:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/4/c/b/4cb845e7-1076-437b-852a-7842a8ab13c8/OneCareCleanUp.exe

2. Right click the downloaded "OneCareCleanup" file, click “Run as administrator”, and then click "Continue".

3. Choose "I accept the terms of End-User Licensing Agreement" and click "Continue".

4. Click the "Clean" button, and the tool will begin to remove OneCare.

5. After the process finishes, please click to restart the computer.

After uninstalling OneCare, please try the following steps to install the latest version of OneCare online.

Step 3: Install Windows Live OneCare version 2.5

========================================

1. Launch Internet Explorer and access the link below:

http://onecare.live.com/standard/en-us/install/install.htm

2. Click "Install the free trial of Windows Live OneCare".

3. Click "Save" to save the SetupOneCare.exe file to your Desktop.

4. Please return to the Desktop and double-click on the SetupOneCare.exe file to install OneCare.

Wednesday, June 24, 2009 2:02 PM
  • Oh I should also add that I'm pretty convinced this is a problem at MS end with the download service. Never had a problem with getting this software on my PC before & the error pops up at exactly the same place every single time
    Wednesday, June 24, 2009 2:40 PM
  • I have an identical problem, tried all the suggested fixes and believe it is at the MS end.
    Wednesday, June 24, 2009 2:46 PM
  • I have an identical problem, tried all the suggested fixes and believe it is at the MS end.

I've reached out to Microsoft to have them investigate.

If you have not already done so, opening a support case will also help highlight the issue if it is server side. And, if the problem is on your end, continue the support case as one of the solutions offered for this error may resolve it for you.

-steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
    Wednesday, June 24, 2009 3:47 PM
  • as I only have an installation disk for 32bit onecare & have vista 64bit installed I'm effcetively stuck until this can get resolved.

Just for the record, the CD installer simply downloads the latest bits from the server after validating your OS. So, to install OneCare, you should just go to http://onecare.live.com and don't bother with the CD.
    -steve
    Wednesday, June 24, 2009 3:49 PM
  • well I gave it one last shot before I turned off my PC for the day & it installed perfectly.

So everyone that was having an issue, try running the clean up tool

http://download.microsoft.com/download/4/c/b/4cb845e7-1076-437b-852a-7842a8ab13c8/OneCareCleanUp.exe

reboot & give the install another try, worked for me.

Not sure where the propblem was & honestly don't much care. Its all sorted now & thats good enough for me. Thanks to Stephen for the helpful posts above, much appreciated

Wednesday, June 24, 2009 4:01 PM
  • You're welcome and glad it is resolved for you. If it is a server side issue on one of the download servers, alerting Microsoft should have them address it soon.
    -steve
    Wednesday, June 24, 2009 4:20 PM
  • Microsoft appear to have fixed the problem as it eventually resolved itself with a successful install and no further action being required by me.
    Thursday, June 25, 2009 8:25 AM
  • Microsoft appear to have fixed the problem as it eventually resolved itself with a successful install and no further action being required by me.

Thanks for confirming that you are up an running. The last communication I had with Microsoft indicated that they were investigating, but I haven't heard what the problem was. Based on the increase in this error and the description of what happened for those encountering it, I'm guessing that it was a server issue with the installer unable to reach the server for a specific component.
    -steve
    Thursday, June 25, 2009 12:03 PM
  • Confirmed by Microsoft Tech Support today, server was down for maintenance. Problem meanwhile solved as all systems are up and running now.

Werner
    Friday, June 26, 2009 10:29 AM
  • Confirmed by Microsoft Tech Support today, server was down for maintenance. Problem meanwhile solved as all systems are up and running now.

Werner

LOL! "maintenance"
    I wish that they would simply state that they discovered a back end problem and it was resolved and apologize for that. Things happen...
    Thanks for confirming that it works for you now.
    -steve
    Friday, June 26, 2009 12:15 PM
  • I also have this problem and have tried everything as suggested on the support sites.  It is now August 5th - perhaps server maintenance takes a lomg time?  All our computers with OneCare are affected.  Can anyone help here?
    Wednesday, August 5, 2009 9:29 AM
  • I also have this problem and have tried everything as suggested on the support sites.  It is now August 5th - perhaps server maintenance takes a lomg time?  All our computers with OneCare are affected.  Can anyone help here?

In this thread, there was a problem with the download server in June. The same error also occurs for other downloading reasons. I am not aware of any server issues right now, so you should see this:

See this post for the KB article to troubleshoot install problems - http://social.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/ba26b781-da18-4ce4-be8c-22647bd5d8fc/

If none of the steps there help, please contact support for help:

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90

-steve

Wednesday, August 5, 2009 11:52 AM