Router configuration after power outage: website not accessable RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, my first question here.

We had a power outage (36 hours) last week. Since the power came back, my website is not available on the web.

1) power cycled my FIOS Actiontec router
    2) had WHS:
       - configure and unconfigure the router
       - website on then off then on
       - unconfigure/configure domain name (same name)
    3) power cycled my FIOS router

Router details screen: two green check mark and one red "X": Verifying that your website is available on your home server.

I logged in to my router and verified that ports 80, 443 and 4125 are forwarded to the IP address of the WHS server (192.168.1.3)

WHS connector message: Verifying port forwarding on your router failed.

Also the software update status of last update is "unknown", trying to connect to HP server for update fails (could not connect to HP mediasmart web server)

Any suggestions?

(WHS help file suggests to reinstall WHS server software. If I do,  I will lose all user information and files. I just migrated all my family members to the WHS server......No, that is not a solution)
    Monday, December 29, 2008 4:52 PM

Answers

• Olaf,

Danke Schoen. (IP address on my network changed as well as the IP assigned by my Internet Service Provider.

No, website is not accessible. I decided to reinstall WHS on my HP EX475 after making backups of all user files on the WHS.

It was very time consuming and frustrating.

I used the HP WHS recovery CD (which of course does not work on Vista 64 bit, so I had to use an old laptop with XP). The recovery went OK, router setup and website are working after recovery. WHS is now installing the updates including PP1 and hopefully then I can also connect to the Vista 64 bit machine.

It appears after creating the same user names that the data is still there, so I might not have to restore the user files.

Wow, Microsoft still has a lot to learn about user friendliness (such the 64 bit connector) and error/failure reporting. I explained this adventure to a friend who uses Macs. He had to laught really loud.

Prost!!! Glueckliches Neujahr

Grusse von einem Hollaender.

Tuesday, December 30, 2008 9:48 PM

All replies

• I used port checker and found that other ports are not forwarded either.

So, it appears to be not WHS, but the Actiontec router or FIOS "backbone".

Let me know what you think?
    Monday, December 29, 2008 5:36 PM
  • I was on the phone with Verizon who told me to enable DMZ hosting with the IP address of the WHS (192.168.1.3).

No change. Problem continues.
    Monday, December 29, 2008 6:31 PM
  • Hi,
    can you access the Remote Site locally from Internet Explorer on the client with http://server (replace server with the name of your WHS)?
    If the power outage has affected the website directly due to the hard crash, a reinstall of your WHS may be the way to recover, or potentially a short uninstall/reinstall of the WHS updates including PP1 (since PP1 installation creates the website).

Did you validate, that your WHS has still the same IP address? If the address is assigned via DHCP, which is the default setting, the router may assign a different address after the power outage, so the former established port forwarding goes wrong (especially, if configuring the router via UPnP is not allowed - which is my preferred setting for security) and the forwarding has been established manually.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Tuesday, December 30, 2008 10:00 AM
  • Olaf,

Danke Schoen. (IP address on my network changed as well as the IP assigned by my Internet Service Provider.

No, website is not accessible. I decided to reinstall WHS on my HP EX475 after making backups of all user files on the WHS.

It was very time consuming and frustrating.

I used the HP WHS recovery CD (which of course does not work on Vista 64 bit, so I had to use an old laptop with XP). The recovery went OK, router setup and website are working after recovery. WHS is now installing the updates including PP1 and hopefully then I can also connect to the Vista 64 bit machine.

It appears after creating the same user names that the data is still there, so I might not have to restore the user files.

Wow, Microsoft still has a lot to learn about user friendliness (such the 64 bit connector) and error/failure reporting. I explained this adventure to a friend who uses Macs. He had to laught really loud.

Prost!!! Glueckliches Neujahr

Grusse von einem Hollaender.

Tuesday, December 30, 2008 9:48 PM
  • Did you ever resolve this?  I'm having the exact same issue, after an extended power outage.
    Monday, October 17, 2011 12:42 PM