Recorded Tv streaming to Windows Phone RRS feed

• Question

• I can't stream recorded tv (.wtv files) from WHS 2011 to my Windows Phone (using My Home server connector). When I start playback, My Home Server application just terminates. Music and videos (e.g. MPeg-2 and WMV files) are working fine. Recorded tv is MPEG-2 encoded but in wtv container. Any idea why recorded tv streaming is not working? Thank's.

Btw, is WHS 2011 transcoding videos automatically to such format that receiving end (e.g. mobile phone) supports?

Tuesday, September 20, 2011 4:26 PM

All replies

• Check in the release notes for the phone app to see if .wtv is listed as a supported file type.

As for transcoding, yes, Windows Home Server will transcode if needed (as long as a codec can be successfully negotiated, of course).

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, September 20, 2011 5:29 PM
  • Check in the release notes for the phone app to see if .wtv is listed as a supported file type.

As for transcoding, yes, Windows Home Server will transcode if needed (as long as a codec can be successfully negotiated, of course).

Hmm.  That's pretty poor.  WTV has been in use for some time, and the format is owned by Microsoft, as is WHS 2011, the WHS Windows Phone add-in and the Windows Phone app (OK - so it probably isn't fully Mango compliant as I believe it was written for Windows Phone 7 - time for an update, guys).

But the app does die when trying to play WTVs, it doesn't just throw an error to say 'Sorry, this isn't a supported file type/codec' which is kind of what I'd expect.

In addition, Zune doesn't seem to support WTVs either - with WHS v1, the Media Center archiver transcoded for Zune devices during archive, but WHS 2011 doesn't appear to have this facility - that's a bit of a bummer too.

Other stuff streams OK though.

Makes it a bit annoying as I bought a Lumia 800 - this is my first smart device and overall I'm quite impressed - I know it's a bit naive to think that a Generation 1 device will be perfect - but I would have thought that support for MS codecs would be built in from ground up.

• Edited by alfeersum Wednesday, December 14, 2011 11:59 AM
    Wednesday, December 14, 2011 11:55 AM

Hmm.  That's pretty poor.  WTV has been in use for some time, and the format is owned by Microsoft, as is WHS 2011, the WHS Windows Phone add-in and the Windows Phone app (OK - so it probably isn't fully Mango compliant as I believe it was written for Windows Phone 7 - time for an update, guys).

But the app does die when trying to play WTVs, it doesn't just throw an error to say 'Sorry, this isn't a supported file type/codec' which is kind of what I'd expect.

In addition, Zune doesn't seem to support WTVs either - with WHS v1, the Media Center archiver transcoded for Zune devices during archive, but WHS 2011 doesn't appear to have this facility - that's a bit of a bummer too.

Other stuff streams OK though.

Makes it a bit annoying as I bought a Lumia 800 - this is my first smart device and overall I'm quite impressed - I know it's a bit naive to think that a Generation 1 device will be perfect - but I would have thought that support for MS codecs would be built in from ground up.

I agree 100% its pitiful and it like that throughout their product line. Its almost like their techs don't even use the products themselves. Zune, Zune.net, Windows Media Player, Windows Media Center, WHS all have no interaction with each other. Its a disgrace Microsoft simply a disgrace
    Saturday, December 24, 2011 12:49 AM
  • I have the same problem... C'mon Microsoft. You can do better than this...
    Sunday, March 25, 2012 5:36 PM