SharePoint Folder names guidelines via CRM RRS feed

• Question

• I need some help on this one. We are using CRM 2011 with SharePoint integration based on 3 entities: Account/Opportunity/Quote. We can create the folders in SharePoint by clicking the 'Documents' section on account/opportunity/quote. I was wondering if someone knows what CRM uses to remove the special characters for an account name/opportunity name/quote name, to create the folder in SharePoint. I want to check for an account folder on SharePoint if it already exists (via the CRM account name), if it doesn't create it. So I need to find out how folder names are created, so I could compare them. Below I'll show you some examples. I was wondering if there is any documentation/guidelines on this

• Example 1: CRM Account name: Company & Sun.  Create Folder via 'Documents', SP Folder name: Company - Sun
    • Example 2: CRM Account name: Company (NY). Create Folder via 'Documents', SP Folder name: Company (NY)
    • Example 3: CRM Account name: Compény. Create Folder via 'Documents', SP Folder name: Compény
    • Example 4: CRM Account name: CompÅrlö .  Create Folder via 'Documents', SP Folder name: CompArlo
    • Example 5: CRM Account name: Company N.V. Create Folder via 'Documents', SP Folder name: Company N-V-
    • Example 6: CRM Account name: Compäny. Create Folder via 'Documents', SP Folder name: Compäny.
    • There are a lot more examples..

You see, there is some logic in this (Not allowed SP characters are, in my opinion, converted to '-'), but what about the alphabetical characters?

Kind Regards

Tuesday, April 7, 2015 8:01 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I do not know the exact replacement logic here, but we have a similar functionality in our DocumentsCorePack and used a different approach.

Because CRM creates a document location record for each SharePoint location you should be able to read in the "SharePoint location" entity if there is an associated record for the account. If this is the case you will get the exact sharepoint link to this location and know now that you do not need to create it.

Hope I understood your question correctly and my answer helped you.

br,

Christian Ternek, www.mscrm-addons.com
    follow us twitter.com/mscrmaddons

Wednesday, April 8, 2015 8:00 AM
  • Yes, figured that out later too. If I need to check for an account folder, I could check if there is a SharePoint Document Location record and retrieve the relative url to get the folder in SharePoint. Will leave this question open as it is not answered for 100% and I am curious :)

Thanks for your input Christian,

Kind Regards

Wednesday, April 8, 2015 9:17 AM