none
UnInstall Connector Software - fails RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to uninstall the connector software on a laptop with XP SP3 so I can install the new connector software for Vail.  I've tried uninstalling through the control panel but it fails in the process.  I've tried removing the entries in the registry where I could find them, and deleted the files under /Programs.  I then try to install the new connector software for Vail, but it errors out saying that I need to remove the old software.  Is there a manual process to remove all the traces of the old connector without reinstalling XP?

Thanks.

David

Sunday, September 26, 2010 7:56 PM

All replies

• Make sure you are logged on with a user account that has administrator rights, best use the account which was used to install the connector software originally. Then please try reinstalling the connector software from http://yourservername:55000, then try uninstalling again. If it still fails stop the Windows Home Server Connector Service (Start, Run, type services.msc and hit enter, find and stop service), then try uninstalling again. As a last resort you could restore your system to a point in time before you originally installed the connector software using system restore. If the restore point is no longer available try going back as far as possible. Please note you will need to run windows update and reinstall any software you installed after the restore point you have chosen.
    Wednesday, September 29, 2010 6:30 AM
  • I just tried uninstalling the WHS Connector software off a WinXP Pro SP3 machine and got the uninstall failed message. I then right clicked on Connector icon in the system tray and selected exit. I was then able to uninstall without problem. I'm logged as administrator on the PC. It seems you can't uninstall when the connector software is running.

Thursday, September 30, 2010 1:43 PM
  • I just tried uninstalling the WHS Connector software off a WinXP Pro SP3 machine and got the uninstall failed message. I then right clicked on Connector icon in the system tray and selected exit. I was then able to uninstall without problem. I'm logged as administrator on the PC. It seems you can't uninstall when the connector software is running.

Yep, normally the installer should take care of this. To make sure the service is actually stopped you can best stop the service using the services management console (services.msc).
    Tuesday, October 5, 2010 6:57 AM