none
SATA vs SCSI Hard Drvies for WHS RRS feed

• Question

• I have an HP Media Smart server running WHS.  It came with two 500GB SCSI drive.  There are two empty bays.  I plan to add storage.  Are there any issuesing using SATA hard drives with WHS?  Also are the any issues mixing SATA and SCSI hard drives?  Thanks for the help.  Take care.

v/r
    Ron

Saturday, July 18, 2009 12:39 PM

Answers

• I have an HP Media Smart server running WHS.  It came with two 500GB SCSI drive.

The HP MSS don't come with SCSI drives.  They come with SATA drives.

There are two empty bays.  I plan to add storage.  Are there any issuesing using SATA hard drives with WHS?

Since that's what they come with, no.  :)

Also are the any issues mixing SATA and SCSI hard drives?  Thanks for the help.  Take care.

v/r
    Ron

Saturday, July 18, 2009 2:43 PM

All replies

• I have an HP Media Smart server running WHS.  It came with two 500GB SCSI drive.

The HP MSS don't come with SCSI drives.  They come with SATA drives.

There are two empty bays.  I plan to add storage.  Are there any issuesing using SATA hard drives with WHS?

Since that's what they come with, no.  :)

Also are the any issues mixing SATA and SCSI hard drives?  Thanks for the help.  Take care.

v/r
    Ron

Saturday, July 18, 2009 2:43 PM
  • Thanks for the help.  When I checked the server storage it said SCSI Disk Devise Internal (SCSI) so that is why I thought they were SCSIs.  Take care.

v/r
    Ron
    Monday, July 20, 2009 2:59 AM
  • Yes, for some reason WHS identifies SATA drives as SCSI on my system too, only PATA drives are identified as IDE. I can only assume windows internally uses the same SCSI subsystem drivers to talk to SCSI and SATA devices.
    Monday, July 20, 2009 10:22 AM