Restore shares from backup RRS feed

• Question

• I'm in the process of replacing my current WHS with new hardware. I have a fresh install of WHS and now need to restore my shares, which are backed up to an external drive.

My questions are these:

1. Do I recreate my user accounts on the new server before doing any kind of restore? Or is there a way to port them over from the old?
    2. How do I do the restore? Is it simply a matter of overwriting the shares created with the new users?
    3. Do I need to run the connector install from each PC? Or will they pickup the new server based on host name, which is the same as the old one. (I will take the old one offline before bringing the new one on).
    4. Are there any other considerations I'm not thinking of but need to be aware of?

Thanks for your help,

Bill

Tuesday, July 27, 2010 6:54 PM

Answers

• You should start by reading the documentation on server backup in the console help file. Some of your questions should be answered there.

1. You will need to recreate users before you can restore their private shares. Other than that, it won't matter.
    3. You can do that, or (on each client) you can run C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server\discovery.exe. Note that this will only work if you have updated your server to the same version/power pack you were running previously.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Thursday, July 29, 2010 4:29 AM
    • Marked as answer by GabBill Thursday, July 29, 2010 11:59 PM
    Tuesday, July 27, 2010 7:52 PM
  • Thanks, Ken. The restore is running as expected. Looks like all is well.

Bill

Thursday, July 29, 2010 11:59 PM

All replies

• You should start by reading the documentation on server backup in the console help file. Some of your questions should be answered there.

1. You will need to recreate users before you can restore their private shares. Other than that, it won't matter.
    3. You can do that, or (on each client) you can run C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server\discovery.exe. Note that this will only work if you have updated your server to the same version/power pack you were running previously.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Thursday, July 29, 2010 4:29 AM
    Tuesday, July 27, 2010 7:52 PM
  • Thanks, Ken. The restore is running as expected. Looks like all is well.

Bill

Thursday, July 29, 2010 11:59 PM