none
Unable to post reply to my question in SQL Server Forums

Answers

• While this reply shows that it is no longer happening to me, it does not answer the question on why this is happening in the first place.  What if tihs happens again?  What if it happens to someone else?  How does the response "it is not happening any more", help them? 

Please remember these forums are not only used to answer the individual's question but are also considered information resources for people experiencing problems.   There is nothing more annoying that going out to a thread describing the same issue that you are experiencing only to see it is closed without providing an answer.

So can someone explain why I was getting a 503 from my own thread in SQL Server Forums and only that thread?

Edward R. Joell MCSD MCDBA

Forum updates were causing issues.

Ed Price, Azure & Power BI Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

Answer an interesting question? Create a wiki article about it!

• Marked as answer by joeller Sunday, July 27, 2014 3:35 AM
    Friday, July 25, 2014 10:50 PM
    Owner

All replies

• Hello,

Since it is not a question abouct SQL Server product, I move it to this forum. It is more appropriate.

Regards,
    Fanny Liu

Fanny Liu
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, July 3, 2014 7:20 AM
  • And now everything is working just fine.  Baffling.

Thursday, July 3, 2014 12:26 PM
  • While this reply shows that it is no longer happening to me, it does not answer the question on why this is happening in the first place.  What if tihs happens again?  What if it happens to someone else?  How does the response "it is not happening any more", help them? 

Please remember these forums are not only used to answer the individual's question but are also considered information resources for people experiencing problems.   There is nothing more annoying that going out to a thread describing the same issue that you are experiencing only to see it is closed without providing an answer.

So can someone explain why I was getting a 503 from my own thread in SQL Server Forums and only that thread?

• Edited by joeller Tuesday, July 8, 2014 12:55 PM spelling
    Tuesday, July 8, 2014 12:54 PM
  • It's rather unlikely that you'll get a technical response from the forums team here.

There are strange quirks with the forums software all of the time and I've never seen a thread get a response with a real 'why this happened'.

Don't retire TechNet! - (Don't give up yet - 12,950+ strong and growing)

Tuesday, July 8, 2014 1:02 PM
  • I have gotten responses from the team for the official Microsoft ASP.Net forum,  www.Asp.Net,  about the inability to do a copy and paste on their forum using IE8, and they updated  the forum to fix this. Are you suggesting that their forum team is better than that of the social.microsoft.com/forums?

Update:  I got an email from the thread in question reporting

Another user, Naomi N, has replied to a thread you have subscribed to in the Transact-SQL Forum.

But when I get out there there is no post by Naomi N. What is going on with this forum?

• Edited by joeller Thursday, July 10, 2014 1:13 PM New data
    Thursday, July 10, 2014 1:00 PM
  • Yes.

EDIT: Clarification - the ASP.Net forum team has only one forum to look after and they use different software. The forums team here has the entire MSDN/TechNet sprawl to deal with, plus the forums software in use here seems to be much more problematic.

Since you mention IE8, here's what you can expect from this forum when you have issues such as that:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/c372eb5b-a9f3-4732-a4de-1d98b5636d9b/search-a-specific-forum-not-select-all

Thursday, July 10, 2014 1:07 PM

Forum updates were causing issues.

Ed Price, Azure & Power BI Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

• Marked as answer by joeller Sunday, July 27, 2014 3:35 AM
    Friday, July 25, 2014 10:50 PM
    Owner
  • Yes.

EDIT: Clarification - the ASP.Net forum team has only one forum to look after and they use different software. The forums team here has the entire MSDN/TechNet sprawl to deal with, plus the forums software in use here seems to be much more problematic.

Since you mention IE8, here's what you can expect from this forum when you have issues such as that:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/c372eb5b-a9f3-4732-a4de-1d98b5636d9b/search-a-specific-forum-not-select-all

Also, it depends on the purpose. So their forum team probably monitors the forum you posted to. The purpose of this forum is to get bugs submitted to the forum team. We don't actually know why the specific issues happen. But I do know it was related to an update that got fixed.

Our goal on this forum is just to make sure the forum team knows about the issues and bugs them accordingly.

The forum team asked us to do this so that they can focus on getting the issues fixed.

Thanks!

Friday, July 25, 2014 10:54 PM
    Owner
  • Forum updates were causing issues.
    Thank you. That explains it for me and anyone else who may experience this issue in the future.

Sunday, July 27, 2014 3:53 AM