Cannot open one of my folders; browser loads indefinitely RRS feed

• General discussion

• Whenever I use the Live Mesh mobile client to open one of my folders in particular, the browser is stuck on the "loading page" phase indefinitely. This does not occur for the other folders, for which the client opens the folder correctly.

The same thing happens when I use m.mesh.com from Pocket IE, or even from my desktop browser. Pocket IE actually gives up and says something like "page not found" after a while (which I would imagine is it responding to a timeout).

Again, this is only for one folder---unfortunately for my most important folder, my Documents folder :(.

I can access this folder from Live Desktop on my desktop browser just fine; and it syncs between my desktop and laptop just fine.
    Monday, January 4, 2010 10:06 PM

All replies

• How many files and folders are contained within that Mesh folder? What is the total size of the folder?
    I've not heard of the issue before, but since you indicate that it happen in both the client and Pocket IE, it seems that it could be a size issue.
    Has this always been a problem for this Mesh folder on the device or is it a new problem?
    -steve
    ~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Tuesday, January 5, 2010 1:44 PM
  • I've had similar issues syncing folders on my mobile device in the past.  In my case it was a photos folder.

I know it's a pain, but does it sync allright when you remove all of the files and re-add a few at a time?

In the past I've found the "trickle" approach to be a work-around if the Mesh Mobile client seems to be choking on some large files.
    "We're all in it together, kid." - Harry Tuttle, Heating Engineer
    Tuesday, January 5, 2010 2:55 PM
  • The folder is 2.02 GiB, with 10113 files and 1703 folders. It is indeed my biggest folder, or at least the biggest one that I store on Live Desktop and don't just sync between PCs. Although, the top-level folder only contains 16 items itself (15 folders and 1 file).

Note that I'm not trying to sync it with my device. I'm just clicking on the link that the client gives me, which then opens Opera mobile (my default web browser) to the appropriate m.mesh.com page. This makes it seem unlikely to be a size issue, especially given the fact that it only contains 16 top-level items (so it's not making it hang just because it has to load a humongous directory listing or something).

This has always been a problem for this Mesh folder on the device, and has persisted through several hard resets of the device (upgrade to WM 6.5, etc.)
    Wednesday, January 6, 2010 7:31 AM
  • Hi, Dominic.
    I do believe that it is somehow related to the size of the folder, even though you are simply opening a listing of the top level of the folder on the Live Desktop. I can't be certain of it, but based on the fact that you only see the problem with this folder and it persists accross multiple versions of Live Mesh and different mobile browsers and the desktop. I suspect that the generation of the code being sent to your browser is choking as it tries to create an index of this data for some reason. You mention 16 top level items - folders? files? combination? Long file names? Odd characters?

-steve
    ~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Wednesday, January 6, 2010 4:19 PM
  • Hi Stephen,

To be clear, Live Desktop (i.e. mesh.com) on my PC works fine with this folder. It is only the mobile version of the site (m.mesh.com) that fails---and it fails even when I open it using my PC, not just on my phone. So I guess it's something wrong with m.mesh.com. Not sure if I was clear on that; your response seems to work either way :).

That seems like a reasonable hypothesis for its choking. But it's a pretty bog-standard folder. Here's the directory listing:
    2009-12-14  10:04    <DIR>          Aspyr
    2009-12-30  20:02    <DIR>          Bluetooth Exchange Folder
    2009-12-14  03:16    <DIR>          Books
    2009-12-14  07:40    <DIR>          ddi
    2009-12-14  02:15               402 desktop.ini
    2009-12-14  05:14    <DIR>          Dungeons & Dragons
    2009-12-28  12:17    <DIR>          Electronic Arts
    2009-12-28  04:12    <DIR>          Electrontic Arts
    2009-12-14  04:04    <DIR>          Finances and Funding
    2009-12-14  05:11    <DIR>          Health-Related
    2008-07-08  03:07            22 302 Journal.docx
    2009-12-14  03:52    <DIR>          Microsoft Hardware
    2010-01-07  03:25    <DIR>          My Games
    2009-12-14  02:15    <JUNCTION>     My Music [C:\Users\Domenic Denicola\Music]
    2009-12-14  02:15    <JUNCTION>     My Pictures [C:\Users\Domenic Denicola\Pictures]
    2009-12-14  02:15    <JUNCTION>     My Videos [C:\Users\Domenic Denicola\Videos]
    2009-12-25  05:01    <DIR>          My Web Sites
    2009-12-20  17:52    <DIR>          OneNote Notebooks
    2009-12-14  07:02    <DIR>          Outlook Files
    2009-12-20  09:14    <DIR>          Programming Projects
    2009-12-15  17:59    <DIR>          Scanned Documents
    2009-12-15  12:45    <DIR>          Scholarly
    2010-01-06  17:20    <DIR>          Visual Studio 2010
                   2 File(s)         22 704 bytes
                  23 Dir(s)  108 591 546 368 bytes free

I was hopeful that it was the ampersand in Dungeons & Dragons, but this appears to not be the case, as I renamed it and that didn't fix things. I guess it might be the junctions, but I was under the impression those just weren't synced.

It's worth noting that, even though subdirectories of this folder appear in the "News" on m.mesh.com, clicking on those links fails in the same way that going directly to the "Documents" folder does.
    Thursday, January 7, 2010 12:14 PM
  • Could you do a DIR *.* /S on that folder and report the total size of all subfolders?

I find that WinDirStat is a handy tool for getting a feel for the real size of directory trees.
    Thursday, January 7, 2010 4:37 PM
  • Yes, I understood that the issue was only with loading the folder from the m.mobile URL - in fact, I was going to suggest trying it at that URL on a PC when I read that you already had.

I wonder if your issue on m.mobile.com is with the Junction folders.... hmmmm......

-steve
    Thursday, January 7, 2010 5:02 PM
  • Could you do a DIR *.* /S on that folder and report the total size of all subfolders?

I find that WinDirStat is a handy tool for getting a feel for the real size of directory trees.

I'm not sure what you're looking for, besides my above "The folder is 2.02 GiB, with 10113 files and 1703 folders"? Hopefully not the whole listing, as that would take up pages and pages.

Yeah, I like WinDirStat too. I have a pretty good handle on this folder, it is, after all my Documents folder :). It's big, but not too big... nothing unreasonable is really going on here.

• Edited by Domenic Denicola Friday, January 8, 2010 3:13 AM Including quote; I thought this was threaded.
    Thursday, January 7, 2010 8:50 PM
  • Can you also let me know what mobile device you are using this on?  I'd like to try and get a local reproduction here if possible for the mobile team to look at.
    Monday, January 11, 2010 2:51 AM
  • Can you also let me know what mobile device you are using this on?  I'd like to try and get a local reproduction here if possible for the mobile team to look at.

HTC Touch Pro2, Sprint. This is the case on both the stock 6.1 ROM and a customized 6.5.3 ROM. Thanks!!
    Monday, January 11, 2010 2:53 AM
  • I also have an HTC Touch Pro2 from Sprint, but last I heard Live Mesh Mobile didn't work at all on it.  I guess I'll have to check for an update.
    Monday, January 11, 2010 4:47 PM
  • I also have an HTC Touch Pro2 from Sprint, but last I heard Live Mesh Mobile didn't work at all on it.  I guess I'll have to check for an update.

Just tried to update the client by going to http://m.mesh.com in Pocket IE, signing in, and clicking "Download" under "Add Device".

Got a "The page cannot be found" error on https://m.mesh.com/install/wm6/livemesh.cab

Monday, January 11, 2010 4:50 PM
  • Just tried to update the client by going to http://m.mesh.com in Pocket IE, signing in, and clicking "Download" under "Add Device".

Got a "The page cannot be found" error on https://m.mesh.com/install/wm6/livemesh.cab

Just tried with the Opera browser that ships with the phone.  Displays oddly - tightly zoomed in by default.  Got the same "The page cannot be found" error while trying to download the CAB.
    Monday, January 11, 2010 4:53 PM

The client won't work. You should be able to use the browser, though, to go to m.mesh.com
    -steve
    Monday, January 11, 2010 5:11 PM
  • Any idea when the client will work for Windows Mobile 6.5 phones?  I have the AT&T Tilt 2 and I have the same problem with the page cannot be found error when trying to download and install livemesh.cab.  I understand I can go to m.mesh.com but the phone isn't syncing any files.  Seems it is taking a long time to fix this.
    Saturday, January 23, 2010 5:13 AM
  • Any idea when the client will work for Windows Mobile 6.5 phones?  I have the AT&T Tilt 2 and I have the same problem with the page cannot be found error when trying to download and install livemesh.cab.  I understand I can go to m.mesh.com but the phone isn't syncing any files.  Seems it is taking a long time to fix this.

Actually, I had hoped that an updated client would have been released months ago. At this point I think we're going to be waiting for the Windows Live Wave 4 beta, which is rumored to be gearing up for some time in the next few months. Live Mesh is now part of the Windows Live world, so development of it is part of the overall Windows Live efforts. "Wave 4" is the next release of the Windows Live Essentials suite and back end and hosted services.
    -steve
    Monday, January 25, 2010 1:12 AM