How to tell.. for IT RRS feed

• Question

• I currently help run a Windows XP support desk (home/pro retail/oem/vlk/etc sp1/sp2). We have alot of issues come through each day dealing with WGA. At this moment there is no way for us to tell if the key they used is genuine or if the key is a pirated key. So far we have managed to track and predict what key will be legit keyset based on logging outputs from http://download.microsoft.com/download/e/9/c/e9c73b60-bff1-4f03-b06f-d3cbe8f8d9f4/GenuineCheck.exe on several legit computers through out the day, but these keys are only good for a few hours. If you guys could help with something to maybe help us out here to where we could check the hash we get from the users against your servers for verification, it would be greatly appreaciated. If you do not wish to say this on this public forum for security reasons, please contact me via e-mail at mollie.thompson@us.army.mil.

Monday, July 24, 2006 4:20 AM

Answers

• Mols:

Unfortunately, we do not provide an SDK for Windows Genuine Advantage for external partners/customers at this time. While we are still in the midst of the program, we will review exploring that venture in the near future.

Thanks for your feedback,

-phil

Tuesday, July 25, 2006 2:01 AM

All replies

•  

Download and run the Microsoft Genuine Advantage (MGA) Diagnostic Tool: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012  

Monday, July 24, 2006 1:14 PM
  • Uhm, yes, if you don't know what i'm talking about specifically. Don't give me generic answers. I can run the tool just fine, and the idiots i'm supporting can. I need a way to interface legitcheck.dll to a webpage for them to run, and send the results to me saying they are legit or not. Microsoft already has one in javascript. I'm simply asking how to incorporate it into my own. being the pages are aspx files, the server preprocesses them before I can see exactly what goes on. But like I said, don't know, don't answer.

Mols

Monday, July 24, 2006 10:22 PM
  • Mols:

Unfortunately, we do not provide an SDK for Windows Genuine Advantage for external partners/customers at this time. While we are still in the midst of the program, we will review exploring that venture in the near future.

Thanks for your feedback,

-phil

Tuesday, July 25, 2006 2:01 AM
  • If I can pull the js files from the genuine site and get them running like I need; who would I have to talk to, to get permission to use them without Microsoft going "REMOVERS TEH SCRIPTS OR WE ARE TEH SUING YUOZ!!!!!11one"? Because if I can't use them legally, I would rather deal with idiots than lawyers.
    Tuesday, July 25, 2006 3:30 AM
  • Attempting to pull files from a restricted server that is not meant for altercation such as that isn't the right way to approach this. Again, the WGA SDK is not available to external customers. In addition, using the time-sensitive hash to attempt to bypass validation on different machines breaks the terms of use - I would also advise against this.

-Phil Liu

Tuesday, July 25, 2006 5:27 AM
  • Your not understanding, or am I just not clear? I don't want to break the hashes or pull files from restricted servers... these files are loaded onto my pc, your pc and everybody esles and stored in the temporary internet files.. they are java script files, nothing "secret" I just wanted permission to use them on my site, it's not a very complicated matter, to adjust it to work on my site is nothing more than editing 3 lines of java script. it's not compramising any security or sending "secret" data or, decrypting or reverse enginering, just changing document.redirect(successfullvalidation.aspx) + params; to document.redirect(validated.html); and removing the menu java scripting. it's not rocket science. btw, this stuff if your wondering where I found it, goto the geinuine site and then click on view then click on source, it's easy to find.

P.S: SDK's don't help for web development.

Tuesday, July 25, 2006 5:38 AM
  • Better yet, I would like the email address or phone number to the department that develops the site. I don't need a middle man that doesn't understand scripting telling me that I need a SDK to write something in notepad, when all i'm asking for is permission to use something for the same purpose elsewhere. Thanks for all your efforts though.
    Tuesday, July 25, 2006 5:43 AM
  • I am one of the two Program Managers that oversee development and planning for www.microsoft.com/genuine.

The Microsoft Genuine Advantage web-site currently does not have an external web-SDK available for external partners wanting to integrate ActiveX controls or Plug-in installers.

Unfortunately, the hash and validation algorithms aren't ready for external partner use and consumption. Thanks for your feedback!

-phil liu

Tuesday, July 25, 2006 5:57 AM
  • Well i'm glad you manage, but like most jobs, management usually knows little about the actual 'internals'. But maybe you do know what i'm talking about when I say validation.js and javascript:validatenow(); ?
    Tuesday, July 25, 2006 5:59 AM
  • If you wish to explore these options, the best suggestion is to contact your IT lead and have that person escalate directly to the WGA team regarding this issue.

Unfortunately, our code isn't available to external partners at this time. I will escalate to the senior business development management about the possibility of exploring this in the near future.

Thanks for your feedback!

-phil

Tuesday, July 25, 2006 6:01 AM
  • I am the IT, as in the IT department consists of me. And seeing as in how your a manager, of the entire shindig, that means i've already completed both of those steps. So what's next?
    Tuesday, July 25, 2006 6:03 AM
  • The terms of use for Microsoft web-sites can be found here: http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.mspx

Please have your Microsoft Account Manager escalate the request to our team directly, thanks!

-phil

Tuesday, July 25, 2006 6:06 AM
  • That's ok. I will just find some other way todo this, maybe I will just have them give me their key and then I can call and bug you guys about wether it's valid or not. will save me coding time and I can go home tonight early.
    Tuesday, July 25, 2006 6:24 AM