upgrade from the evaluation/trial to a full copy of WHS RRS feed

• Question

• I read the FAQ for this and when I choose a repair installation it searches for a system image.  It finds the latest on the first BU drive and then reinstalls from there, it never reboots into text mode.  I never get a prompt for license key and after repair install I can't update the license key, it says it's invalid.

If I just try to change the license key after a normal boot, it always tells me the key is invalid.

Any ideas??  Can I just disconnect the BU drive and do a clean install and the put in licese key, reconnect BU drive and then do a restore or repair installation?

Paul
    Wednesday, June 8, 2011 7:46 PM

Answers

• Paul, you keep talking about an "evaluation" copy of WHS... What exactly do you mean by this? There is no "evaluation" copy of WHS 2011 that has been made available by Microsoft - the only "evaluation" experience that is available is an online simulation of WHS 2011...

And I agree with PhilipJH - I wiped my RTM version of WHS 2011 and started again with the OEM disc...

Thursday, June 9, 2011 1:58 PM

All replies

• Paul

What is it you are trying to do with a restore/repair after a clean installation? If you are just trying to get your data back there is an easier way. Have a look here:

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whs2011/thread/0d107461-5938-4e70-b02d-11c37b714fb0

I did not manage to get my Client backups transfered over but all my data was there without having to copy from disk to disk.

Phil

Wednesday, June 8, 2011 8:09 PM
  • Beating my head against the wall a bit here.

I'm trying to change the license key from Eval to OEM.  If I just try to change it in the Eval version of WHS 11, it does not work.  If I do a repair install, it does not work sine it searches for a BU image when I select a repair install and uses the image to restore OS.  Never does it ask for a license key, it just contunes using the eval copy license key.

So I was thinking that if I removed BU Drive, booted to install DVD and did a "new" install it would ask me for the OEM lic key and then install a new instance and wipe the server disks.  Then I thought I could connect BU drive and do a restore from that to get my files/users and settings back.

Paul
    Wednesday, June 8, 2011 9:31 PM
  • Don't believe that would work as there is no defined upgrade path from Microsoft. Installation is quite easy and there are not many settings to reset so I would suggest you go down that route. I always think a fresh install is best.
    Wednesday, June 8, 2011 10:46 PM
  • There is an FAQ posted on this.  Where it states to do a repair existing installation, it says it will reboot ito the text mode.  This never happens for me.  I'm wondering if the FAQ is wrong?

If I do a clean install, does my idea of then restore from a previous back up image sound like it would work to get data, users and settings back onto the server?

Paul
    Wednesday, June 8, 2011 11:07 PM
  • There is an FAQ posted on this.  Where it states to do a repair existing installation, it says it will reboot ito the text mode.  This never happens for me.  I'm wondering if the FAQ is wrong?

If I do a clean install, does my idea of then restore from a previous back up image sound like it would work to get data, users and settings back onto the server?

Paul

Although I haven't tried it, I would think that you could restore the data from a backup successfully.  However, I would not try to do a full system restore.  (Just recreate the users for that.)
    Thursday, June 9, 2011 4:01 AM
  • On Wed, 8 Jun 2011 23:07:09 +0000, PaulNJ wrote:

There is an FAQ posted on this.

Do you have a link to the FAQ in question?

Paul Adare
    MVP - Identity Lifecycle Manager
    http://www.identit.ca
    Overflow on /dev/null; please empty the bit bucket.

Thursday, June 9, 2011 5:43 AM
  • Sorry...here you go:

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whsfaq/thread/7a323a25-01d6-4f89-91d7-01474f0a19b5

Paul

Looking at the date, that should be for WHS v.1.

WHS 2011 RTM up and running, v.1 gone to meet its maker...
    Thursday, June 9, 2011 9:18 AM
  • On Thu, 9 Jun 2011 09:08:43 +0000, PaulNJ wrote:

Sorry...here you go:

?

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whsfaq/thread/7a323a25-01d6-4f89-91d7-01474f0a19b5

Wrong version of WHS.

Paul Adare
    MVP - Identity Lifecycle Manager
    http://www.identit.ca
    Manual Writer's Creed:  Garbage in, gospel out.

Thursday, June 9, 2011 10:18 AM
  • Well that explains why is does not work....somebody has had to have done this already.  Not sure when the eval copy will expire so maybe I should let someone else be the pioneer and wait for them to post a procedure.

Paul
    Thursday, June 9, 2011 11:00 AM
  • Paul,

If you have the RTM version of WHS 2011 installed from Microsoft Connect, then it should be possible to change the product key to the one that came with the OEM disc. See this thread:

http://forum.wegotserved.com/index.php/topic/18889-change-product-key-on-rtm-to-release-key/

It seems as though it can be done.

You'll need to RDP into the WHS 2011, and then open the Control Panel/System and Security/System window to view the basic information on your system. Down at the bottom is the link for changing the product key

Thursday, June 9, 2011 11:43 AM
  • NG for me, I still get invalid key.  I had activated the WHS eval copy a long ime ago. 
    Paul
    Thursday, June 9, 2011 12:04 PM
  • Still think you would be better starting again!
    Thursday, June 9, 2011 1:24 PM
  • Paul, you keep talking about an "evaluation" copy of WHS... What exactly do you mean by this? There is no "evaluation" copy of WHS 2011 that has been made available by Microsoft - the only "evaluation" experience that is available is an online simulation of WHS 2011...

And I agree with PhilipJH - I wiped my RTM version of WHS 2011 and started again with the OEM disc...

Thursday, June 9, 2011 1:58 PM
  • Says on the screen "Evaluation Copy Build 7601"  That's why I'm referring to it as such.

I don't remember if I downloaded as RC1 or RTM at the time.

Paul
    Friday, June 10, 2011 7:21 PM
  • Um - I think that's the Release Candidate, not the later "Release to Manufacture" version (which, I think, included the "Service Pack 1" addendum). If so, it doesn't surprise me that you can't change the product key to the released version on that.
    Friday, June 10, 2011 7:37 PM
  • I guess I'll just take a day and copy all the files to an external drive and then do a clean install.  Would have been so much easier to just change the key but I guess there are too many differences in the underlying code between the RC and the OEM version.

Paul
    Friday, June 10, 2011 8:29 PM
  • I have the version you can download from technet. I'm guessing this is the release canidate.

THe license keys I have on technet do NOT work and I called product activation several times and each time they are like hmm don't know why it doesn't work and tell me that I need to create a tech support issue to which I respond that i have and they say they can't help me.

At this point Im fed up with microsoft support. Its gotten horrible and this product has become a rather large pile of poo.

During the beta it worked great and I had several dozen customers wanting to purchase it when it was released.  We two versions later and now we have this big fail product! WTF microsoft?!!

I've redownloaded the version on technet 3 times (and have 3 stinking dvds now of this crap product that doesnt work)

Frankly the linux version is looking very good now.  At least I know I know what to expect support wise from the product.

Tuesday, September 6, 2011 7:09 PM
  • The version on Technet is RTM, not the RC (which was a time-limited beta that's close to expiring if it hasn't already).  And phone activation will not be able to help you with Technet product key issues, most likely. I'll ask Microsoft to verify that the product key on Technet matches the version of Windows Home Server on Technet, however.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, September 6, 2011 7:48 PM