Critical Warning. Your computer hasnt been backed up in a week. RRS feed

• Question

• Because of my work schedule, one of my computers hasn't been turned on in over a week. A critical error then appeared which says that your computer hasn't been backed up in a week.

The thing is that nothing has changed on this machine. Just out of curiosity, what is the point of it backing it up again anyway?

A suggestion would be for the server to check the status of the client prior to the message appearing. If the server sees that a backup is needed due to file changes then great, but not just because time has elapsed.

Also, once that error appears, how about a quick option box to run backup now or later.

And finally, does this really need to be a critical error? How about a non critical error. I know this has been talked about in the past so I digress.

Dawg.
    Saturday, March 17, 2007 10:53 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I'm not sure to understand you completly correct, But on the Homeserver Version that I downloaded from Microsoft, the Backup Now function is enabled...

I installed that Client Part on my "normal" PC and got a new Icon on the System Tray. When I hit that Icon with the right mouse Button, one of the Point in the Menu is Backup now. This works OK. 

But in addition to your suggest the Function should be that way (imho):

- WHS is checking all known PC regularly (maybe by ping, or by contact of the Client Software)
    - If the Contact has been lost for more than an adjustible Time a warning occours
    - the Client Software checks the Backup Database when there is a contact. If the Backup is out of time a "Backup Now" should be suggested (Click here to backup or something like that...)

Hoblo

Sunday, March 18, 2007 1:47 PM
  • yes but there should also be away to change it so that it doesn't back up you computer every two days.  I know myself little has changed in two on any of my computers including my laptop, and the stuff that has changed is saved in another locations also (always keep multiple copies of everything).  I would like to be able to set it for a once a week backup or maybe even less often then that.

Like the person who started this post said my laptop wasn't even powered on in a few days and to get something that says there was no back up made is kind of a no brainer!
    Tuesday, March 20, 2007 3:24 AM
  • At the very least this should be configurable.  The way it is now, I have to leave all of my computers on overnight or in two days I'll see a critical error due to the backups not being run.

Tuesday, March 20, 2007 7:36 PM
  • Hi

Try changing your start and stop times.. Their is a FAQ, Link

I have my backup window set for:- start 2am - stop 11pm. This way as soon as a PC is turned on a backup will start shortly.:-
    Tuesday, March 20, 2007 8:54 PM
  • Thanks for the suggestion, but if the computer isn't even connected or turned on for days, this won't help.  The server will still complain about backups being overdue regardless of when they had been scheduled to occur.  We really need a better policy for computers that are only connected occasionally.  I'm thinking it might actually be better to turn automatic backups off for these machines and just back them up manually when it's convenient.  One of my machines is a dual boot machine that I only occasionally boot up in Windows XP.  It shows up twice in the list ... once for each operating system.  I have disabled the automatic backups for the Windows XP configuration and have it set to backup both drives when it's running Windows Vista.

I'm going to try turning off backups for the laptop and just manage them manually.  This should partially solve the problem, but I'll lose the automatic backup feature for that machine.  Still, starting up a backup manually is only a minor annoyance compared to these critical warning messages.

Thursday, March 29, 2007 4:25 PM
  • Bad news, even with automatic backups turned off WHS is sending warning messages after two days.  We really need a better way of managing this.
    Monday, April 2, 2007 6:43 AM
  • I also have experienced this and the real frustrating part is that the computer causing the error needs to be connected to make the correction.  It would think that the Administrator account on the WHS could make changes regardless of what PC's are connected but this does no appear to be true.
    Tuesday, April 3, 2007 1:27 AM
  • Good suggestion.

Dawg.

Tuesday, April 3, 2007 1:59 AM
  • Guys, you really need to head over to Connect, find (or create) some suggestions that will allow WHS to meet your needs, and vote. While Microsoft has a few employees monitoring this forum, Connect is our primary conduit to get ideas and issues to the dev team.
    Tuesday, April 3, 2007 5:32 AM
  •  mkabala wrote:
    Bad news, even with automatic backups turned off WHS is sending warning messages after two days.  We really need a better way of managing this.
    Agreed. Even though I understand why it is designed as it is,  I'd like to see a little flexibility here.  Just being able to go to the console and say "Remind again in "X" days would be an improvement.
    Tuesday, April 3, 2007 5:18 PM
  •  Ken Warren wrote:
    Guys, you really need to head over to Connect, find (or create) some suggestions that will allow WHS to meet your needs, and vote. While Microsoft has a few employees monitoring this forum, Connect is our primary conduit to get ideas and issues to the dev team.

I have posted a suggestion here.

Dawg.

Tuesday, April 3, 2007 9:50 PM
  • Remind me again in "X" days/months and even "NEVER" remind me again.  Some PCs I just don't care about!
    Thursday, April 5, 2007 3:52 AM