how to use one attribute from one entities in another? RRS feed

• Question

• Ok this i think is a simple task but i am drawing a blank.

I have a drop down list in my accounts section of "Promo Code"

I want this same dropdown to exist in this custom entities but since we update this dropdown list monthly i dont want to have to update it in 2 places.

Is there a way to make this attribute show up in both entities?

Wednesday, January 5, 2011 8:19 PM

Answers

• Use a new Entity to represent the values you wish to capture in that attribute, and create a relationship between it and the records where you require them.  This is much easier to manage.  However, as far as I'm aware, CRM 2011 offers a "shared picklist" attribute that will achieve what you desire.  I simply think, however, that you're complicating the administration of relational data by instantiating it uniquely across several entities, rather than establishing a true relationship model between the data points.  As you say, updating the information in several places is undesirable.

On the upshot, there are examples available of how to turn a Lookup field into a Picklist , in appearance.  They're unsupported hacks, but it can give you the look and feel of a Picklist with the richness of true relationships and shared data-sets.

Dave Berry - MVP Dynamics CRM - http:\\crmentropy.blogspot.com Please follow the forum guidelines when inquiring of the dedicated CRM community for assistance.
    • Marked as answer by Steve Goos Thursday, January 6, 2011 1:23 AM
    Wednesday, January 5, 2011 9:18 PM

All replies

• Hello, Steve.

If you have CRM 4.0 you will have manually synchronize those picklists.

Microsoft CRM Freelancer

My blog (english)
    Мой блог (русскоязычный)
    Wednesday, January 5, 2011 9:17 PM
  • Use a new Entity to represent the values you wish to capture in that attribute, and create a relationship between it and the records where you require them.  This is much easier to manage.  However, as far as I'm aware, CRM 2011 offers a "shared picklist" attribute that will achieve what you desire.  I simply think, however, that you're complicating the administration of relational data by instantiating it uniquely across several entities, rather than establishing a true relationship model between the data points.  As you say, updating the information in several places is undesirable.

On the upshot, there are examples available of how to turn a Lookup field into a Picklist , in appearance.  They're unsupported hacks, but it can give you the look and feel of a Picklist with the richness of true relationships and shared data-sets.

Dave Berry - MVP Dynamics CRM - http:\\crmentropy.blogspot.com Please follow the forum guidelines when inquiring of the dedicated CRM community for assistance.
    • Marked as answer by Steve Goos Thursday, January 6, 2011 1:23 AM
    Wednesday, January 5, 2011 9:18 PM
  • ah thanks for the tip. we were talking about that today to see if there was something to do that. Thanks again for the assistance.
    Thursday, January 6, 2011 1:24 AM