Live OneCare - how do I cancel subscription? RRS feed

• Question

• Does not seem to be an option from changing auto-renew subscription to manual renew.  There's an 0870 phone number you have to ring to cancel.  This I did last evening and endured a frustrating 15 minutes conversation when they could not find my details.  Is there another way to cancel?

And if Live OneCare is going to be free as from the end of June 2009, does that mean that subscriptions due from July 2009 onwards will not be automatically renewed? 

Wednesday, June 3, 2009 3:07 PM

Answers

• If your subscription is set to be renewed in the near future, go to https://billing.microsoft.com and sign in with your subscription LiveID and click on renew. You should be offered a free 6 month renewal/extension as Morro is not yet available. Your credit card should not be charged for any renewal.
    Calling support, as you did, is the way to cancel your subscription - you can't cancel auto-renew, as that is part of the terms of the subscription when purchased via credit/debit card. Canceling anut-renew means canceling your subscription.
    If you are not offered the 6 month free extension, don't proceed with renewal or you will be charged, but then call support back with your subscription LiveID and other account infromation in hand (they should be able to find you account in 3 ways - your credit card information, your subscription LiveID, your Product ID from Help/About in OneCare. If they can't find it, ask that your case be escalated.
    -steve

I'm moving your post to the OneCare General folder after replying, so if you get an alert with a link to the thread, it may not work.
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Wednesday, June 3, 2009 3:20 PM

All replies

• If your subscription is set to be renewed in the near future, go to https://billing.microsoft.com and sign in with your subscription LiveID and click on renew. You should be offered a free 6 month renewal/extension as Morro is not yet available. Your credit card should not be charged for any renewal.
    Calling support, as you did, is the way to cancel your subscription - you can't cancel auto-renew, as that is part of the terms of the subscription when purchased via credit/debit card. Canceling anut-renew means canceling your subscription.
    If you are not offered the 6 month free extension, don't proceed with renewal or you will be charged, but then call support back with your subscription LiveID and other account infromation in hand (they should be able to find you account in 3 ways - your credit card information, your subscription LiveID, your Product ID from Help/About in OneCare. If they can't find it, ask that your case be escalated.
    -steve

I'm moving your post to the OneCare General folder after replying, so if you get an alert with a link to the thread, it may not work.
    Wednesday, June 3, 2009 3:20 PM
  • Thank you.
    Wednesday, June 3, 2009 3:22 PM
  • You're welcome. I should add that your statement about OneCare being free starting in June is incorrect. OneCare will never be free. OneCare can still be purchased today. Later this year new subscriptions and renewals will no longer be sold. At that time, a new product will be available, but it won't be OneCare.
    -steve
    Wednesday, June 3, 2009 3:26 PM