none
Windows HPC task executes only one single node

Question

• I created job which runs .net app. with multiple threads in it. I assigned 4 nodes which allocated as resource for execution. But for some reason my app runs only at one node. I can force via setting to run on specific one but not on all on them. How can I enforce that my job run on all nodes.  3 out of 4 nodes located on VMs on same blade. I have 30 threads on 7 cores in total. Can one exe run on multiple nodes? If yes how can I achieve that?

• Edited by Alex1st Friday, February 3, 2012 7:44 PM
    Friday, February 3, 2012 6:11 PM

All replies

• Alex1st:

The HPC Scheduler is doing what it's told: it's running an application and therefore runs it on the first computer it finds.  The Scheduler has no idea what your application is, so basically understands your command as "run one instance this application".

If you wanted to run 4 instances on 4 nodes, then you'd have to schedule 4 tasks, where each tasks runs an instance of the application.  

My question is: would running 4 instances of your application benefit you in any way?   I assume they are not doing something collective on their own?  Wouldn't running these 4 instances yield you the same results?  Are all 4 instances starting with the same input?

Thanks,

-Christian
    Wednesday, February 8, 2012 9:45 PM
  • Hello Christian.

Thanks for reply. I thought that I can run one application which has 95 threads and HPC like a grid computing system will use resources from all nodes to execute my task. Another words I expected that HPC based on number of threads in my app. will decide which threads to put on particular node. Here is example of different  product which does what I need.

http://www.digipede.net/downloads/Digipede_MSDN_20060412.wmv

Thanks,

Alex.

Thursday, February 9, 2012 1:24 PM