Segmenting CRM 3.0 by company RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all!  I work for a consulting firm and am in the process of testing CRM 3.0 Professional for Service Providers (Hosted Deployment Model).  My question is:  How do we segment CRM so that we are able to support various companies without allowing these companies to view or manipulate each other´s information.  Do we simply create a new dB in SQL or do we have to run the CRM installation again each time we wish to add a new company.  I´m thinking that we have to do both in order to add the new instance into CRM (new dB in SQL first then run the CRM install again and reference the new SQL dB) but I´m not exactly sure.  Any accurate assistance is greatly appreciated.  Looking for best practice and security.

Thanks in advance

S. Wiley

Tuesday, September 4, 2007 11:51 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi S. Wiley,

MS CRM 3 only supports one organization for one implementation of CRM. You need new CRM installation for each new organization. You may use same SQL Server for each CRM implementation. You just need to install new CRM and it will create a database in SQL server itself. Ofcourse organization names need to be different.

MS CRM 4 (Titan) do have the facility to support multiple organization in same single CRM installation but you need to wait for it.

Tuesday, September 4, 2007 3:33 PM
  • How is this possible?  Do I need to install CRM 3.0 on a new server for the additional companies because it only gives the options to either repair or deinstall the present installation when attempting to install a new instance.  I physically created new databases in SQL 2005 but this is irrelavant if CRM isn´t referencing them.

Wednesday, September 5, 2007 1:23 PM
  • Hi,

The current MS CRM dont provides Multi-tenancy that means a single MS CRM application cannot be used for multiple clients. You need separete pysical servers.

Following document will give you a good starting point.

www.go-planet.com/docs/PlanetHostedCRM_SolutionOverviewandFAQ.final.pdf

Following Microsoft URL will show you details;

http://www.microsoft.com/serviceproviders/solutions/hostedcrm.mspx

You may be trying to install standard CRM software. You need get "Hosted CRM" software available on 4 CDs i guess.

Hosted Microsoft Dynamics CRM 3.0 Solution Components can be found at:
    https://members.microsoft.com/serviceproviders/webhosting/hostedmessaging/default.mspx

Wednesday, September 5, 2007 4:33 PM