Vista now says not genuine RRS feed

• Question

•  

Recently when starting up my vista now says it is not genuine and I should run the set up DVD again.  My copy is genuine and I have the key code for it.  When I boot from DVD and run the set up, it ask me for a key code and when I enter it it says I can use this key code as it is an upgrade key code and needs to be run from windows.  I can use XP to run it, unfortuinately that would mean that I would have to reinstall vista from scratch, I just want to fix my old version. 

Is there a way I can get into my copy of vista so I can run the upgrade from there.  I managed to do it once but when it upgraded I got the BSOD so I rolled back to my origional vista.  I managed to get into my old vista to upgrade by restoring from a previous save point, unfortunately it wont do that anymore.

Basically, is there any way I can get into vista so I can run my upgrade disk, otherwise im gonna have to start from scratch again. 

I cant run the utility program you require as I cant get onto my computer.

Monday, January 14, 2008 11:56 AM

Answers

• Hello u07jrb,

My apologies for originally missing your post. If you are still experiencing Activation or Validation problems with your Vista, please create a new thread and post a Diagnostic Report and a description of the issue.

To generate a Diagnostic Report, download and run the Genuine Diagnostics tool at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012. Click "Continue" , click the "Copy" button, then Paste the report into a response message in the new thread.

Thank you,

Darin Smith

WGA Forum Manager

Wednesday, June 25, 2008 8:13 PM