Upgrade path from 120 day trial to full version RRS feed

• Question

• I want to run the 120 day trial (just got the install discs) but before going through the setup and all the copying of TB's of data around my network to get the drives added to WHS, I want to learn more about the upgrade path.  Before the 120 day (or thereabout) trial expires will I have to copy all the data off my WHS so that it's preserved when I upgrade to the full version or will it remain intact?
    Sunday, January 4, 2009 12:52 PM

Answers

• MikeDevenney said:

I want to run the 120 day trial (just got the install discs) but before going through the setup and all the copying of TB's of data around my network to get the drives added to WHS, I want to learn more about the upgrade path.  Before the 120 day (or thereabout) trial expires will I have to copy all the data off my WHS so that it's preserved when I upgrade to the full version or will it remain intact?

No, you don't have to copy anything.  You will need to use the OEM DVD and perform a Server Reinstallation.  It will format the OS partition, but leave the rest of the data in tact.  Once the reinstallation is complete, all you need to do is re-create users and re-install add-ins.

One other suggestion:  install the 120 day eval with all of the hard drives you plan on using connected.  The reason is WHS will install on the first hard drive that it sees.  However, some people have connected hard drives to their server in such a way that they didn't use the first port on the mobo during installation.  They ended up using the first port at some later date (when adding a hard drive to the storage pool).  In that scenario, you don't get the Server Reinstallation option (because now the first hard drive WHS sees doesn't already have the OS partition setup).  This is especially common when mixing PATA and SATA drives in the same server.
    Sunday, January 4, 2009 4:13 PM

All replies

• MikeDevenney said:

I want to run the 120 day trial (just got the install discs) but before going through the setup and all the copying of TB's of data around my network to get the drives added to WHS, I want to learn more about the upgrade path.  Before the 120 day (or thereabout) trial expires will I have to copy all the data off my WHS so that it's preserved when I upgrade to the full version or will it remain intact?

No, you don't have to copy anything.  You will need to use the OEM DVD and perform a Server Reinstallation.  It will format the OS partition, but leave the rest of the data in tact.  Once the reinstallation is complete, all you need to do is re-create users and re-install add-ins.

One other suggestion:  install the 120 day eval with all of the hard drives you plan on using connected.  The reason is WHS will install on the first hard drive that it sees.  However, some people have connected hard drives to their server in such a way that they didn't use the first port on the mobo during installation.  They ended up using the first port at some later date (when adding a hard drive to the storage pool).  In that scenario, you don't get the Server Reinstallation option (because now the first hard drive WHS sees doesn't already have the OS partition setup).  This is especially common when mixing PATA and SATA drives in the same server.
    Sunday, January 4, 2009 4:13 PM
  • Thanks, that's exactly what I was looking for!  I plan to use external (USB 2.0) drives for all but one of my data drives so this should work fine.  Your answer is appreciated!
    Mike Devenney
    Sunday, January 4, 2009 7:36 PM
  • MikeDevenney said:

Thanks, that's exactly what I was looking for!  I plan to use external (USB 2.0) drives for all but one of my data drives so this should work fine.  Your answer is appreciated!

Mike Devenney

To be honest, I would avoid using USB drives as part of the storage pool as well.  Other users have had issues with those drives "disappearing" periodically (probably due to the power-saving features built into the case).  My recommendation is to only use PATA/SATA (and perhaps eSATA) drives as part of the pool and use the USB drives for backup storage.
    Sunday, January 4, 2009 7:52 PM
  • If you decide to use USB drives for additional space in the storage pool, it's pretty important that each drive be connected to it's own USB controller, with no hubs. Some motherboards have a single controller per USB connector, while some have one controller per pair of connectors. You'll have to consult your motherboard manual for more information.

But (as kariya21 said) I would recommend against the use of USB as a storage technology in any case; too many users have had issues with USB drives in the storage pool. 

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, January 5, 2009 4:21 PM