HPC_CREATECONSOLE not working RRS feed

• Question

• Hello HPC Users,

First of all I have checked the other threads on similar issues, but not found the solution.

I have read the microsoft information on running applications that need a gui running ( I am trying to use the CST application  on a node which requires a GUI to work) and carried out the registry fixes to SASGeneration and HPCConsole and checked they were applied correctly - I have also rebooted.

I have also connected remotely  to the node and used the HPC_ATTACHTOSESSION environmental variable which works perfectly  and runs the cst model, but this method is no good to the users.

All I ever get when running any job with an environmental variable set to HPC_CREATECONSOLE=TRUE is 

"Error from Node HPCNODE0076 HPC_CREATECONSOLE set to true but console in use"

But I know there is no-one logged on to it as I have checked with the Remote Service Manager, and it is offline to everyone else other than me. Checking the event log shows nothing obvious.

Note this is not a CST issue as I get the same problem if I run a simple vol or dir command. It is, a using the HPC_CREATECONSOLE issue.

Believing the error message and using HPC_ATTACHTOCONSOLE tells me I am not connected so doesn't help

Also note, I am definately not logged on remotely to the session when I get the issue, his will give you a slightly different HPCCREATECONSOLE error.

Please help as I am completely stuck!

Regards,

Richard

Thursday, August 16, 2012 4:37 PM

All replies

• Hello HPC Users and Microsoft Hopefully!

Not very happy with the help I am getting from Microsoft on this one, the Indian call centre help line refuses to help if you can't allow them to remote logon and for security reasons we can't - they are therefore completely useless. Microsoft seem to have lost interest in these HPC forums after about 2009. Our service agreement even though we manage the cluster goes through a bureaucratic computer services company so I cannot raise a call direct. thanks a lot Microsoft!

Wednesday, August 29, 2012 8:44 AM
  • This relates to to use of the GPU

as described in http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg247477(v=ws.10)

I cant help at present as my Compute nodes do not have suitable GPU's, nor do I have any jobs that are set up to use gpu power

I would have though some *user* session would have to be logged on interactively to the compute nodes to make use of the gpu.

Maybe that is what the HPC_CREATECONSOLE does

edit:

Re-reading you notes about doing a simple dir command in the session. I wonder if I can repro that as shouldnt actually need a GPU.

• Edited by HPCguy1 Monday, September 3, 2012 2:04 PM
    Monday, September 3, 2012 1:49 PM
  • Richard,

I have exactly the same problem - I'm trying to execute CST on Windows Server 2008 R2 cluster and when using  HPC_CREATECONSOLE=TRUE I have an error "HPC_CREATECONSOLE set to true but console in use". HPC_ATTACHTOSESSION works fine, HPC_ATTACHTOCONSOLE doesn't. 

Did you finally find a solution for that problem?

As qwinsta.exe shows, there is a console session #1 in addition to services session #0 even if no one is logged in to the server.

SESSIONNAME       USERNAME                 ID  STATE   TYPE        DEVICE 
    >services                                    0  Disc                        
     console                                     1  Conn                        
     rdp-tcp                                 65536  Listen                      

But I can't attach to it with error "Unable to connect to interactive console. ". However when I log in locally under my username, I can then attach to my own console. In that case list of sessions looks like

SESSIONNAME       USERNAME                 ID  STATE   TYPE        DEVICE 
    >services                                    0  Disc                        
     console           myusername                  1  Active                      
     rdp-tcp                                 65536  Listen                      

HPC_CREATECONSOLE doesn't work in both cases.

One more note is that HPC_CREATECONSOLE=TRUE works on Windows 7 x64 PC connected as workstation node to the same cluster.

Friday, March 15, 2013 3:51 AM
  • Did you ever get an answer?

I am also having the same problem

Thursday, August 1, 2013 5:58 PM
  • No, this is unresolved yet, at least for CST Studio 2012. I didn't try with CST Studio 2013 and Windows HPC Server 2012 though.
    Friday, August 2, 2013 12:14 PM
  •              

I like to execute console based UI.

In this case HPC_ATTACHTOSESION will work ?   Further do we have to use strictly "non administrator" use for the job submission to job scheduler.?

Kindly revert. for the rest two option I face the same issue like Richard face. 

But I do not get it work even on Windows 7 x64 PC as workstation node.

I got succeed only on Cluster Head Node(Only)  in any option.

VDeveloper

Wednesday, February 7, 2018 6:20 AM
  • Please be noted that when you use HPC_ATTACHTOSESION, a logon session should be their on that compute node with the same user name as your job's username.

Qiufang Shi

Wednesday, February 7, 2018 7:40 AM