elearning vs class based courses RRS feed

• Question

• hi guys

just wanna know if one is preparing for the exams for comptia certifications or microsoft certification from home learning packages and exam kits are they on the same boat as a non certified individual because of no hands on lab experience. is it important to attend class based preparation course to be more hands on if you arent working in an IT field? Please give you opinion!

Thanks

Friday, November 18, 2011 10:05 AM

Answers

• Hi,

It very much depends on which certifications you're looking at to be honest.  Most exams and certifications are designed to enable those working in IT already to prove a certain level of compentancy based on their experience with a particular subject.  Almost all pre-requisites will state how many months real experience is necessary before commiting to an exam or training path.

PT_UK http://redmanta.co.uk/blog Twitter: @redmantauk MCTS:WSS,MOSS,2010 MCITP:2010
    • Marked as answer by Mr. Wharty Monday, February 13, 2012 5:01 AM
    Friday, November 18, 2011 10:17 AM
  • A lot also depends upon your learning style.  Some can do it just by book study.  Others do better with a combination of both books and classroom study.  The adv advantage that elearning (including using CBT Nuggets, Trainsignal, etc.) is that you can re-watch the video(s) as often as you need to, to grasp the information.
    Friday, November 18, 2011 2:39 PM
    Answerer
  • It all depends very much on your experience and studying habits. I personally prepare all my certifications by just reading the product documentation. So far I have passed somewhere around 60 certification exams in this way. But I do have a substantial amount of experience; I realize that this approach will not work for everyone.

I am a Microsoft Certified Trainer, so I teach classes for students who are preparing for their certification, and I have also authored several on-line training courses. The on-line training courses include suggestions and instructions  for practices that the students can perform on their own computers, as long as they have set up the products that are being taught in the course. My experience with the students that are taking the ILT classes and those taking the on-line training is that neither group is at a disadvantage over the other, as long as they bother to actually study and perform all the practices that are suggested in the courses. Both training methods can prepare you for a certification.

Saturday, November 19, 2011 8:01 AM

All replies

• Hi,

It very much depends on which certifications you're looking at to be honest.  Most exams and certifications are designed to enable those working in IT already to prove a certain level of compentancy based on their experience with a particular subject.  Almost all pre-requisites will state how many months real experience is necessary before commiting to an exam or training path.

PT_UK http://redmanta.co.uk/blog Twitter: @redmantauk MCTS:WSS,MOSS,2010 MCITP:2010
    Friday, November 18, 2011 10:17 AM
  • A lot also depends upon your learning style.  Some can do it just by book study.  Others do better with a combination of both books and classroom study.  The adv advantage that elearning (including using CBT Nuggets, Trainsignal, etc.) is that you can re-watch the video(s) as often as you need to, to grasp the information.
    Friday, November 18, 2011 2:39 PM
    Answerer
  • It all depends very much on your experience and studying habits. I personally prepare all my certifications by just reading the product documentation. So far I have passed somewhere around 60 certification exams in this way. But I do have a substantial amount of experience; I realize that this approach will not work for everyone.

I am a Microsoft Certified Trainer, so I teach classes for students who are preparing for their certification, and I have also authored several on-line training courses. The on-line training courses include suggestions and instructions  for practices that the students can perform on their own computers, as long as they have set up the products that are being taught in the course. My experience with the students that are taking the ILT classes and those taking the on-line training is that neither group is at a disadvantage over the other, as long as they bother to actually study and perform all the practices that are suggested in the courses. Both training methods can prepare you for a certification.

Saturday, November 19, 2011 8:01 AM