Windows Restore Process screen on startup RRS feed

• Question

• I know this is not the correct forum, but couldn't find one that matches. If someone to tell me where to post this I will glaly do it. Here is my post.

I am helping a long distance family member so I do not have easy access to the laptop. Upon turning on the computer this person gets a screen about a restore process that it is asking her to choose to run or not run. I have a screen shot of it, but have never encountered it before. I would like to know if this screen is a legitimate windows screen or some kind of malware, or manufacturer screen. It happens before windows even starts to load. I can't seem to find this anywhere using google so here I am. I can't insert a picture here so below is a detailed description.

For now, I will try to describe it to the best of my ability.

Top Left - White box that says SAMPLE LOGO
    Top Right - genuine Microsoft software logo
    1st Body Section - Click <check symbol> to continue with the restore process. The recovery process will erase all personal data and  {settings from the computer. Please make a backup before starting the restore process. Click <x symbol> to quite the restore process.
    2nd Body Section - <Caution symbol>Performing System Restore will reinstall Windows and all data will be erased.
    3rd Body Section - <Picture of Windows Key example> After System Restore has completed, you may need to enter the product key: The Product Key is written on the Certificate of Authenticity label, attached to the computer, and looks similar to this example picture.

Wednesday, May 6, 2015 12:29 AM

All replies

• This sounds like something triggered the system reset functionality, open is, if from Windows (which version do you have installed?) or from OEM and why. Is there a Windows system disk in DVD drive or a related USB stick attached, which is used as boot medium?

Also please note, this is off topic in Windows Home Server forum.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Tuesday, May 12, 2015 2:39 PM
  • Hey Olaf!

Thanks for the reply. The OS is Windows 7 Home. It is an HP laptop that she got either refurbished or off-lease (perhaps both). I don't recall which website she got it from.

Do you know which forum section this would be on topic in? I couldn't find one that I thought matched.

Thanks,

Tim

Wednesday, May 13, 2015 1:40 AM
  • Was it just recently purchased with no relevant data on it?

If so there nothing speaks agains going on with the OS reset process.

If she did already work with it and then triggered the process, something might have changed the boot sequence/active partition or a hotkey may stuck.

In this case it would usually better to consult a forum relevant to the hardware, i.e. HP.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Wednesday, May 13, 2015 2:31 PM