Suggested Primary Drive Size RRS feed

• General discussion

• I did a search and everything I found is rather dated.

My primary drive is in need of replacement. So would like to know what is suggested as a size these days? Drive prices are very reasonable up to and including 1TB. So is it worth the small extra cost to go with a 1TB drive or is a bit of savings and a 500GB primary a safer/better way to go?

• Changed type kariya21Moderator Saturday, October 23, 2010 9:38 PM not a technical question
    Tuesday, October 12, 2010 1:07 PM

All replies

• Use whatever drive you like, within the limits of your hardware/firmware and wallet. I'll note that it's possible you'll have problems with a very large drive (other users have had issues with drives > 1 TB); this goes back to "… within the limits of your hardware/firmware …" and isn't really a Windows Home Server issue per se.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, October 12, 2010 2:46 PM
  • Use whatever drive you like, within the limits of your hardware/firmware and wallet. I'll note that it's possible you'll have problems with a very large drive (other users have had issues with drives > 1 TB); this goes back to "… within the limits of your hardware/firmware …" and isn't really a Windows Home Server issue per se .

So have there been problems with 1TB primary drives? Or are you saying there have been issues with drives greater than 1TB?

I apreciate your advice Ken. But "Use whatever drive you like" don't really help much. I'm going to buy a drive, so I hope to "like" whatever I buy. The question is really about the size of the drive I should buy for my WHS to work well. It used to be suggested that the primary drive be the largest drive in the WHS. That was before 1TB drives were common and cheap. Times have changed, so I asked.

Tuesday, October 12, 2010 3:05 PM
  • Use whatever drive you like, within the limits of your hardware/firmware and wallet. I'll note that it's possible you'll have problems with a very large drive (other users have had issues with drives > 1 TB); this goes back to "… within the limits of your hardware/firmware …" and isn't really a Windows Home Server issue per se .

So have there been problems with 1TB primary drives? Or are you saying there have been issues with drives greater than 1TB?

I apreciate your advice Ken. But "Use whatever drive you like" don't really help much. I'm going to buy a drive, so I hope to "like" whatever I buy. The question is really about the size of the drive I should buy for my WHS to work well. It used to be suggested that the primary drive be the largest drive in the WHS. That was before 1TB drives were common and cheap. Times have changed, so I asked.

Buy a medium sized reasonably quick SATA drive for the system.
    If you like Western Digital, go for their Caviar Black or Blue line of drives. Perhaps 400 - 600GB.

I've noticed that WHS v1 leaves the second partition on the system drive empty, and fills up the storage drives instead. Maybe this is by design since the Landing Zone for files transfered to WHS is not temporary stored there anymore.
    That's one reason for not using a 1TB or bigger drive as system drive.
    Correct me if I'm wrong.

For storage, try the Caviar Greens.
    But you need to set the bigger ones (the Advanced Format variants, "EARS" in model description) to normal operation through a jumper.
    Some have experienced speed issues(?) with those drives.
    I have one WD EARS 1.5TB in my WHS v1 that works without problems.

One WHS v1 machine in the basement with a mixed setup of harddrives in and outside the storage pool. And now, next to it, a Vail Refresh brother for beta duties.
    Wednesday, October 13, 2010 10:09 AM
  • I haven't heard of any specific problems. My own feeling on drive sizes at this point is that you should always add the largest drive you can afford, as long as it works in your server. Disks are cheap these days, and one drive will consume less power than two smaller drives. Don't worry about data on the system drive; it's no more likely to fail than any other dirve in your server.
    Thursday, October 14, 2010 12:35 PM
  • Thanks Again, I have ordered a 1TB WD Caviar Green before I saw the previous post from ChristianJohanson. I was about to order a smaller disk to use as a system disk and use the 1TB as another storage disk. At this point I think I will do as originally planned and use the 1TB as system disk and see if it works. I don't have a need at this time for any more storage space. So the 1TB + the storage disks already installed should be fine.
    Thursday, October 14, 2010 12:49 PM