WHS Installation Issues RRS feed

• Question

• Every time that the installation re-boots during setup, the installation starts back at the beginning. 

I can get past the copying installation files stage, then the system reboots and it boots from the installation CD again. 

I have done this 4 times, any help is appreciated!

Marc
    Friday, June 26, 2009 4:35 PM

Answers

• It's Working!

I actually removed the HDD and tried anotehr which was bunk.  But I changed the jumper from CS to Master, and changed the IDE cable position.  Turned it on and it started up where the installation left off.  Whatever it was I am now running.
    Friday, June 26, 2009 8:09 PM

All replies

• Have you checked that your wires are all connected properly and that the hdd shows up in the bios?

HMG
    Friday, June 26, 2009 4:41 PM
  • Yes the HDD is recognized by the Bios.  I even tried to to get it to boot from the HDD but of course... no O/S found. 

Once all the installation files are copied to the system and the program re-boots, that is where is goes off track.

Any ideas?
    Friday, June 26, 2009 4:57 PM
  • You're probably using repurposed (i.e. old) hardware for your server? I don't generally recommend that for other than testing Windows Home Server, because old hardware is often on it's last legs. Rans may be wearing out, capacitors drying up, etc...

However, you probably have your server configured to boot first from the DVD-ROM. After the initial graphical installation phase, when it reboots, try entering the BIOS and setting it to boot from the hard drive.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, June 26, 2009 5:12 PM
  • Thanks for the note about the Hardware.  That is exactly it.. we want to test the software before we buy new hardware.

Have tried booting from the hard drive after the install reboots and it says no O/S found.  So I have to go back to the CD, which then starts the install from the beginning again.

Any other thoughts?

Friday, June 26, 2009 5:15 PM
  • The problem just happened again. 

Once it reboots ti is looking for a boot record.  It checks each drive and when nothing is found it is asking for a boot disk.  What SHOULD it be looking for?  Can I direct it to the right spot?

I'm stuck here watching windows re-install over and over HELP!??!
    Friday, June 26, 2009 5:28 PM
  • Do you need drivers for setup to see your system drive? Is it SATA or IDE? If it's SATA, could you try setting your SATA controller (on the motherboard, presumably) to legacy mode?
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, June 26, 2009 5:43 PM
  • It does see both drives at the start of the install.

It sees 2 drives ( drive 0 and drive 1) and there is a small HDD icon next to drive 0 which is ATA and then under the column next to drive 1 it says SYS.  Is that part of the problem?  Do I need to have Drive 0 be the SYS drive?  How do I switch it?

Friday, June 26, 2009 5:49 PM
  • It's Working!

I actually removed the HDD and tried anotehr which was bunk.  But I changed the jumper from CS to Master, and changed the IDE cable position.  Turned it on and it started up where the installation left off.  Whatever it was I am now running.
    Friday, June 26, 2009 8:09 PM