External hard drive not supported? RRS feed

• Question

•  

I just installed version 2.0 of live one care and it will not recognize my I/O Magic 250 Gigabank USB Drive. Talked to customer suport and they say It simply is no longer suported, even though I was using it for the last year with version 1.6. So I guess I'm just screwed? Their fix was to recommend that I turn off the backup feature and use Windows manually. This is Human Engineering at its poorest. I had a great setup and their (upgrade?) has ruined it and made a main portion of their expensive and obtrusive software useless. Maybe I should have used Norton.
    Sunday, January 20, 2008 3:11 AM

Answers

• I completely disagree with the tech you spoke with. Please give support another call and if the tech can't resolve it for you in short order, ask for the problem to be escalated.

Alternatively, copy anything you want to save off of the drive to another location and the format it from Windows Explorer or Disk Administration and select NTFS as the file system.

-steve

Monday, January 21, 2008 3:33 AM

All replies

• Why would this drive not be supported? If it is an external USB drive connected to your PC directly, it is supported.

What happens when you try to create a backup plan that points to this drive?

-steve

Sunday, January 20, 2008 3:41 AM
  • Good question, Why would this drive not be supported?  When I re-installed the One care 2.0 and went through setup, the program does not see the usb drive. My computer sees it. I can fully access the drive and it's content. I am at the stage where one care wants to configure the backup, and it wants to convert the file system on my USB drive from fat 32 to NTFS. However, it fails and that stops me from moving forward. Customer service( which was quite congenial) Went through a series of attempts to get the one care to start and convert the drive, which failed. Obviously the one care sees the drive because it wants to convert it. When I went to system setup in one care to choose backup device the Drive does not appear as a choice. This is when customer service could not figure anything further. They put me on hold for three minutes then returned and told me the drive is obviously not supported in version 2.0. I asked if there is a list I could view, they said unfortunately not. I loved my old version (1.5) this new version has caused email problems, my computer boots slower now, and I have to manually back up? Why bother with the finest in integrated protection if it only makes life harder?

Sunday, January 20, 2008 6:59 PM
  • I completely disagree with the tech you spoke with. Please give support another call and if the tech can't resolve it for you in short order, ask for the problem to be escalated.

Alternatively, copy anything you want to save off of the drive to another location and the format it from Windows Explorer or Disk Administration and select NTFS as the file system.

-steve

Monday, January 21, 2008 3:33 AM