Folders shared from another mesh aren't displayed locally RRS feed

• Question

• Hi!!

I'm messing around with a dual mesh configuration, a job mesh and a private mesh, where I share relevant folders from my private mesh to the work mesh.

I previously also had the work computer assigned to the private mesh, but decided to create a dedicated work mesh just to separate work from private, and to obtain a dedicated skydrive for work related non-essential files.

So I removed my job computer from the private mesh, also removed the previously synchronized folders from the job computer, logged in as my job id and set up the folders to synch with my job computer. But the folders are only available from the live desktop?

As far as I can understand there should be no difference between synchronizing folders from your own mesh and synchronizing folders shared with another mesh?

I've double and triple checked the synchronization settings, but everything seems to be set as it should.

Any ideas anyone?

Regards,
    Tomas Sandkvist
    Sweden
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 10:43 AM

Answers

• Hey Tomas,

Nice to hear that the original problem has been solved! Unfortunately it is not possible to change the sync location for a Live Mesh folder once it has started syncing. That said, you can do the following:

1. Remove the device from the sync list for that folder (folder should lose it's Mesh colour / bar etc)
    2. Keep a backup of the 100% folder (will still be on the desktop)
    3. Move the folder you want to sync from the Desktop to wherever you want to sync to
    4. Resync the folder to that machine (via the Live Mesh tray icon - not via the Live Mesh Desktop) and when it asks you where to sync to specify the location from (3) (i.e. wherever the folder is currently sitting).
    5. When asked what to do with the existing content select "Merge"

Your folder should now be synced to Live Mesh, in the correct location, without having to redownload everything.

Let me know if that is unclear - I'm under early attack by the sandman...

Cheers,

Oren
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 7:32 AM

All replies

• Try removing the device from the mesh - and then readding it. It sounds as though somewhere between all the meshes something has gotten very confused.

Just before you do that though, a couple of things to check:

1. that the live mesh client on the computer thinks that the folders are synced (i.e. click on the folder name in the task bar menu and see if a folder pops up or if it asks you to sync)
    2. Check the live mesh logs (Start -> Programs -> Live Mesh -> Collect Logs) to see if there is any info in there that could shed light on your situation.

Let us know how it went!

Oren
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 1:11 PM
  • I've been thinking this is the environment I should set up.  I have Work Vista, Home XP, and Home MacBook.  They all log in with my personal Live ID.  I recently got a work MSDN account, and actually getting logged in to my work Live ID with Mesh running under my personal ID was tricky.

Are you able to peer to peer between two meshes?

I know this service is Beta, and I should just figure it out, but I really haven't had time yet.

Thanks,
    Rick

Wednesday, January 14, 2009 1:23 PM
  • Rick:  There's no way to connect two meshes. But you can invite other users (or your other Live ID) to folders you have added to your mesh. So you would invite your work-LiveID to the folders you want to share between home and work.
    Stefan Krueger, Microsoft MVP - Windows Installer, www.InstallSite.org
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 5:48 PM
  • Hello again!

Well, today when arriving at work I found the folders to be synched properly. So, again I've been fooled by the sometimes extremely long synchronization time that I've had problems with running a single mesh as well.

But new issues arise, now the folders have been placed at the Desktop, but that is not where I want them. But the Location text box is disabled, so it appears it is not possible to set the location?

Moving the folders will break the mesh synch it seems, since the mesh bar no longer is displayed if I do that.

Any ideas on that? Perhaps I should start a new thread for this new issue just to keep things sorted out on the forum.

Regards,
    Tomas Sandkvist
    Sweden
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 7:22 AM
  • Hey Tomas,

Nice to hear that the original problem has been solved! Unfortunately it is not possible to change the sync location for a Live Mesh folder once it has started syncing. That said, you can do the following:

1. Remove the device from the sync list for that folder (folder should lose it's Mesh colour / bar etc)
    2. Keep a backup of the 100% folder (will still be on the desktop)
    3. Move the folder you want to sync from the Desktop to wherever you want to sync to
    4. Resync the folder to that machine (via the Live Mesh tray icon - not via the Live Mesh Desktop) and when it asks you where to sync to specify the location from (3) (i.e. wherever the folder is currently sitting).
    5. When asked what to do with the existing content select "Merge"

Your folder should now be synced to Live Mesh, in the correct location, without having to redownload everything.

Let me know if that is unclear - I'm under early attack by the sandman...

Cheers,

Oren
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 7:32 AM
  • Look and behold!

After this little easy fix my folders now not only synch, they are also located where I want them to be!

Thanks a lot Oren for the help!

Case closed.

Regards,
    Tomas
    Friday, January 16, 2009 6:59 AM