Load records to CRM defualt view from both CRM database and external database (SQL Server) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have one CRM form. There are some text boxes and a sub grid on the form.

1. User enter a key number on a text box, the CRM application will retrieve data from external data (SQL database) by a web resource based on the key number and fill part of text boxes and the sub grid on the form. User have to fill data on rest of text boxes manually.

2. User click Save button. The key number and the data user manually typed will save to internal database (CRM database).

The data in SQL database will not be saved to CRM database (because redundant data)

3. Repeat step 1 and 2. Some records are saved to CRM database.

Later when user type key number he/she saved in the text box to retrieve data, the application will load data from both external and internal databases to the form.

My question is: In CRM default View how can I load the records that were saved in both external and internal database.

Thank you. Bob

Friday, May 8, 2015 6:05 AM

All replies

• Bob,

I don't think this is possible (in a supported way). I think you'll have to store the data from the external SQL db in CRM to show it on a default view. I have one big question about your question: why do you want to show data in a default crm view if you say the data is redundant? If it is redundant, don't show it, if it isn't map it to crm?

Kind Regards

Friday, May 8, 2015 8:20 AM
  • As per the previous post, Crm views can only display data that is in Crm fields. There is one possible workaround, but you'll have to test the performance implications.

You could write a plugin on the RetrieveMultiple message, and this plugin can modify the data that is returned to the user. You do this by registering the plugin on the post-operation stage and modifiying the data in the OutputParameter. This can only modify the data in Crm fields, but you could create dummy Crm fields that you then overwrite with data you retrieve from the external SQL database.

There are some limitations to this approach:

• You can use this for display of data in views, but it won't work if the data is used in a Crm report
    • You wouldn't be able to use these fields to trigger workflows, or as conditions in an Advanced Find

Microsoft CRM MVP - http://mscrmuk.blogspot.com/ http://www.excitation.co.uk

Friday, May 8, 2015 8:55 AM