none
Changing BIOS mode RRS feed

• Question

• Hello All,

I have a doubt,

Changing BIOS mode will cause re-image (OS installation)?

or it is just like changing settings from one mode another (Legacy to UEFI)? 

I am curious to know about it, please help with your answers and also share some URL/sites to get to know detailed. 

Regards,

Joseph S

Friday, April 12, 2019 9:56 PM

All replies

• Hi Joseph,

Changing the BIOS mode won't re-image your operating system installation.

Also please note that this is the forum dedicated to Microsoft Training and Certification, for further questions, I suggest you ask in one of forums that suits your operating system below, the experts there might be able to assist you further:

Windows 10

Windows 10 IT Pro  >  Windows 10 Hardware & Performance

Windows 8/8.1

Windows 8.1 IT Pro  >  Windows 8.1 Hardware Compatibility

Windows 7

Windows 7 IT Pro  >  Windows 7 Hardware Compatibility

Best regards,
    Leon

Blog: https://thesystemcenterblog.com LinkedIn:

Saturday, April 13, 2019 9:33 PM
  • There is a TechNet section to place questions to find the applicable forum.

As above you can choose the operating system.

Some computers may have dual boot (windows 10 and 7) or (windows 10 and Linux) etc. so you still need to select the applicable forum.

Changing the BIOS is typically related to the vendor.

There are some settings that are the same but others that are absent when comparing BIOS to BIOS.

For example some may overclock on one computer and find features absent on another computer.

And some computers may not have the option to move from Legacy to UEFI or UEFI to Legacy.

Also some computer vendors have Windows software that allow end users to change BIOS settings without entering the BIOS.  Some computer manufacturers have the ability to only view BIOS settings.  And most do not have any options other than opening the BIOS to view settings.

Moving from Legacy to UEFI or UEFI to Legacy can make the computer no longer bootable until the first setting is reset.

Sunday, April 14, 2019 1:27 AM