OneCare does not recognize that my external hard disk exists RRS feed

• Question

• his morning I had a message from OneCare that it cannot find my external backup device. OC has done successful backups on this hard drive for months now.  I am able to access the device using Windows and also through other programs.

I shut down and restarted Windows and OneCare. Unplugged and replugged the hard drive but OneCare still thinks it does not exist. I also tried to change the backup settings on OC with no results.  Anybody have a suggestion on how to fix this problem.
    Friday, February 22, 2008 4:46 PM

Answers

All replies

• How much space is available on the disk and how is backup configured for tis device? Is it set up as Centralized Backup or just for a single PC?

-steve

Friday, February 22, 2008 4:59 PM
  • Its a 100GB drive and there is 27GB available.  Its set up for a single PC...

Bob
    Sunday, February 24, 2008 12:28 AM
  • Hi, can you see it on windows? Also do you have the HD on 24/7?

If you can see it in windows, right click on it, click properties, then the tab 'tools', then under error checking, click check now.

b.e.n

Sunday, February 24, 2008 7:29 AM
  • Hi b.e.n ....  Thanks for the reply

Hi, can you see it on windows? Also do you have the HD on 24/7?

Yes and Yes.  I can also access the file through other programs (e.g. Quicken backups, etc.)

If you can see it in windows, right click on it, click properties, then the tab 'tools', then under error checking, click check now.

Done.  But based on the message from OC its not even seeing the drive. The Message I receive is "Windows OneCare could not find your current backup device: G:\ "  followed by one that states "Please connect the drive and click OK".    And this is not my first backup. I've had OC installed for a while and OneCare has done multiple backups on this drive before..

Bob

Sunday, February 24, 2008 7:35 PM
  • Bob, I suggest that you contact OneCare support - 

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Monday, February 25, 2008 2:11 AM
  • I've had exactly the same problem; won't recognize; did before; only change -- disk got full so formatted it; I can go into disk from anywhere except OC. Have spent 2 hours + on this so far.

The OneCare Support is pitiful to useless. At least half the time I've spent trying to get on to that.

Does anyone have a telphone number? Or even a chat system that connects to a real person (as opposed to the one for OC that seems to connect to a machine that cannot decypher simple English)?

Would be VERY grateful for any help.

Ed

Monday, February 25, 2008 6:18 AM
  •  

Finally fixed it but don't really know how. Changed setting on one of two computers to "Central Whatever".

This is very frustrating. Utterly wasted time. Wokuld have paid $10-20 more for the software each year to have some decent help.

Then outlined a full explanation (of what I've just written here) and went to "Preview" (DON'T DO IT!!) and lost it all.

This system, the OC "help" is a joke. Even the weblog help -- with all due respect -- was useless.

Just chip off a little more of your life to MS...and programmers who cannot put themselves in the shoes of normal (and apparently much "dumber") people -- like me.

Ed

Monday, February 25, 2008 6:49 AM
  • I'm sorry for the frustration you faced, Ed. I think that the information on backup is a bit thin in Instant Help. What it sounds like you did was reconfigure backup which is what you would need to do after deleting old backups or formatting the external disk. OneCare is expecting to find a previous backup to continue with, but once you remove the old one, it doesn't know what to do.

I've found that the following seems to work for resetting the backup after changing the destination or deleting the existing backups:

Open OneCare

Click Change Settings

backup tab

Click change settings in the lower left

Make sure that the first screen for Centralized Backup has "No Centralized backup" selected

Click your PC on the left.

Uncheck the selection for "Turn on backup for this PC."

Click Next and save the revised plan.

Go back to the backup tab and click Change Settings in the lower left once again.

Select your PC and click.

Click Turn on backup

Select the change location link and select the drive you want to use for backup

Modify the schedule as desired for "When"

Select the file types as desired for "What"

Click next and save the revised plan with the new selection.

-steve

Monday, February 25, 2008 2:10 PM
  • I followed your suggestion, but it didn't work.  It seems to be a Windows XP SP2 problem, etc..  It is a problem with a surprise hardware plug and play removal.  I just ditched a previous storage drive because of the same problem.  The closest I got to solving the problem was that it needed new drivers.  Can anyone point in the right direction?  Is there a straight forward answer for the "surprise" removal problem?  It was forced on the system, as the hardware removal regularly disappears from the task bar.  I suspect a spyware problem.  Maybe I can get them both running if I can get an answer.

Monday, February 25, 2008 10:38 PM
  • I would like to add my 2-cents worth to this discussion if I may.  I have a Dell Inspiron 8300 that has Windows XP and has been working just fine up until recently.  I'll define recently as when Microsoft "took over" my system and downloded and installed SP2.  Since then much has changed and some is not pretty.  I can deal with the new look of the welcome screen and that I have to press a couple of extra keys to get to my stuff.  But when my Maxtor 250Gig external hard drive suddenly has turned up missing in action, I was not happy!  There are 30 years worth of photos on that drive that I cannot access anymore.  The drive simply is not recognized by Windows.  No matter what I do it won't come back.  I have unplugged the power and USB cables to the drive, rebooted the laptop, tried connecting to the built in USB 1 port and then Windows pointed out that the device may work better on a High Speed USB port!   No ***, Dick Tracy.

What has SP2 done to my system to make my external HD invisible?  How do I get it back?  Please answer with step by step instructions.  I am a grumpy old senior citizen and I am not too savvy with all the technical jargon tossed about on these forums.

Thanks for reading and I'll look forward to an answer other than taking the drive to a data recovery service.  

Friday, February 29, 2008 1:43 AM
  •  teenterror wrote:

I followed your suggestion, but it didn't work.  It seems to be a Windows XP SP2 problem, etc..  It is a problem with a surprise hardware plug and play removal.  I just ditched a previous storage drive because of the same problem.  The closest I got to solving the problem was that it needed new drivers.  Can anyone point in the right direction?  Is there a straight forward answer for the "surprise" removal problem?  It was forced on the system, as the hardware removal regularly disappears from the task bar.  I suspect a spyware problem.  Maybe I can get them both running if I can get an answer.

.....(...never mind...)...on further examination of the external hard drive, I noticed it had 'somehow' become loose in it's housing.  That was the problem, easily corrected.  I'll check the previous hard drive for that problem too.  Check your hardware too.  But I have had trouble with a lot of spyware, and even Western Digital, telling me surprise disconnects were no problem (they are), and incorrigible neighbors in a large apartment building.  Don't assume your hardware is secure.

Also,  these problems are VERY frustrating, but sometimes I get the impression that the towns people are marching on Castle Frankenstein.  Sometimes the techs don't respond as instantly as we'd like.  I know. Just like the  MS commercial (TV), no one wants to feel stupid.  I feel kinda stupid for not checking my hardware first, it's just that the programming problems led me to make an assumption.  But maybe it wasn't an assumption; it could have been programming/spyware/internet bullys? all along, and then been shaken loose from handling.  Now I'll never now for sure, because I jumped to a conclusion.  As for losing your comment information before submission, copy it first to a notepad, make file or folder just for comment box information.

Friday, February 29, 2008 9:37 PM
  •  goldmule wrote:

I would like to add my 2-cents worth to this discussion if I may.  I have a Dell Inspiron 8300 that has Windows XP and has been working just fine up until recently.  I'll define recently as when Microsoft "took over" my system and downloded and installed SP2.  Since then much has changed and some is not pretty.  I can deal with the new look of the welcome screen and that I have to press a couple of extra keys to get to my stuff.  But when my Maxtor 250Gig external hard drive suddenly has turned up missing in action, I was not happy!  There are 30 years worth of photos on that drive that I cannot access anymore.  The drive simply is not recognized by Windows.  No matter what I do it won't come back.  I have unplugged the power and USB cables to the drive, rebooted the laptop, tried connecting to the built in USB 1 port and then Windows pointed out that the device may work better on a High Speed USB port!   No ***, Dick Tracy.

What has SP2 done to my system to make my external HD invisible?  How do I get it back?  Please answer with step by step instructions.  I am a grumpy old senior citizen and I am not too savvy with all the technical jargon tossed about on these forums.

Thanks for reading and I'll look forward to an answer other than taking the drive to a data recovery service.  

You're off topic for this forum, which is dedicated to Windows Live OneCare. You may want to try the Microsoft Public newsgroups here: http://support.microsoft.com/newsgroups/Default.aspx

Have you contacted Maxtor support? That's the logical place I'd be heading...

-steve

Saturday, March 1, 2008 1:39 AM
  • Unfortunately, hard drive backups have limited support life.  If it's new, within the year it may have support.  Most likely not.  A screw driver and static ground may be all you need.  I had trouble connecting to the internet, after I set up DSL service, and it took my entire free trial time to find that the Ethernet connection needed to be replaced (i.e.motherboard).  But then again, that was caused by vandalism, in a locked apartment.  At least it's not peanut butter in the VCR.  Verify your storage device is healthy, then go to computer management, verify it can be read, then see if OneCare can find it. 

Saturday, March 1, 2008 9:00 AM
  • Thanks, Steve

That worked wonders for me, also.  I had been stuck with trying to work out what to do 'cause I knew Windows recognised the drive, but I couldn't work out what settings to change on OneCare.

thanks for the post.

Jules.
    Monday, March 24, 2008 1:20 PM
  • Thank you very much for this solution.  It worked perfect and makes sense.

-scott

Wednesday, October 22, 2008 3:37 AM
  •  plumblord wrote:

Thank you very much for this solution.  It worked perfect and makes sense.

-scott

Glad that it helped. :-)

-steve

Wednesday, October 22, 2008 1:22 PM
  • Steve:  Thank you.  This did the trick for me.  It is appreciated.
    Friday, January 15, 2010 2:38 PM