none
MS moderators in the "Off Topic" forum should be able to identify common languages RRS feed

• General discussion

• This is a typical response from a MS Moderator in the Off-Topic forum to posts that have been moved there from English Language forums because they weren't in English.

"Thank you for your post!  Unfortunately you have reached the English forum so, I am not able to determine which forum or newsgroup is

best suited for your question at hand.  Can you provide me the detail in regards to the product or technology you are inquiring about in

English and let us know the language in which you are enquiring so that we can direct you to the relevent forum."

- Most of the posts so moved are in very easily identifiable languages such as French; Spanish, Portuguese and Italian.

- It is also a very simple matter to post the entire text of the message into www.google.com and then select translate.

- It should also be noted that usually the forum they were moved from was an appropriate one apart from being for the wrong (=English) language.

In other words, the replies given by the Off-Topic forum moderators are completely unnecessary (or they are being unnecessarily lazy).

2010 Books: SPF 2010; SPS 2010; SPD 2010; InfoPath 2010; Workflow etc.
    2007 Books: WSS 3.0; MOSS 2007; SPD 2007; InfoPath 2007; PerformancePoint; SSRS; Workflow
    Both lists also include books in French; German; Spanish with even more languages in the 2007 list.
    • Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Thursday, July 1, 2010 9:13 AM Title edited to make clear this post isn't Off-topic.
    Thursday, July 1, 2010 5:35 AM

All replies

• Yes it would be better to give a language option in the moving page. I have to manually change the language string in the url in order to move a page to a forum in a different language.

The following is signature, not part of post
    Please mark the post answered your question as the answer, and mark other helpful posts as helpful, so they will appear differently to other users who are visiting your thread for the same problem.
    Visual C++ MVP
    Saturday, July 3, 2010 8:52 PM
  • That wasn't really what I was talking about but it's a good idea that might cut down on the number of posts being moved to Off-Topic.

(My point was about what happened to non-English posts after they have arrived at the Off-Topic forum.)

Mike

2010 Books: SPF 2010; SPS 2010; SPD 2010; InfoPath 2010; Workflow etc.
    2007 Books: WSS 3.0; MOSS 2007; SPD 2007; InfoPath 2007; PerformancePoint; SSRS; Workflow
    Both lists also include books in French; German; Spanish with even more languages in the 2007 list.
    Sunday, July 4, 2010 7:21 AM