Windows Search Index Size RRS feed

• Question

• Since I have many files in my shares, after a while after upgrading to PP3, my 20GB C: partition filled with Indexes from Windows Search. Because I couldn't quickly figure hout how to get rid fo the huge indexes, I removed Windows Search.

I have now reinstalled PP3, and have configured Windows Search to index only the C: drive -- not very useful, but at least my system doesn't crash with a full C: drive.

I initially thought that I would configure Windows Search to put it index on one of my shares, where I have terabytes of space, however Windows Search only allows configuration to a local drive.

Finally my question: can I add a directory at the root of the D: drive, and put the Windows Search indexes there? I've never touched the D: drive directly, and I didn't know if this was safe. If I cannot create the indexes on the D: drive, is there any way to configure Windows Search so that I can index all of my data, without filling up the C: drive?

Thanks!

Saturday, March 27, 2010 10:29 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Windows Search shouldn't be creating such huge indexs.  Adding directories outside of the console is not supported but your suggestion will work.

Cheers,

Al

--
    Saturday, March 27, 2010 10:47 PM