none
Needs an Answer Feature: What do you think?

Question

• A few weeks ago we rolled out a new feature called "Needs an Answer" on the Answers forums. The goal of this feature was to help users subscribe to existing quesitons they also need answers to and to expose a metric to help answer providers target questions that impact the most people. An example of this is here: http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vistaappearance/threads?filter=joined

What the Feature is Designed to Do:

• Allows users to quickly subscribe a question so when an answer is provided, they receive a Live Alert
    • Increments a value to help enable teams to gauge the impact of a particular answer
    • Enables answer providers and markers the ability to filter and sort by questions that the most users are waiting on
    • Informs forum owner which questions impact the most users
    • Help reduce duplicate questions by enable users to get answers to existing ones

I would really like people's feedback on this feature and what your thoughts are about enabling this not only in the "Answers" forums but also in the MSDN and TechNet forums.  

Thanks!

Community Forums Program Manager
    • Edited by Brent Serbus Friday, September 11, 2009 4:41 PM spelling
    Friday, September 11, 2009 4:08 PM

All replies

• Not a bad idea. Though the icon is kind of intrusive.
    Friday, September 11, 2009 4:26 PM
  • Fishing for feedback. I really want to know what others think about this. Would it help you in prioritizing questions that you answer (if askers used the feature)? If this ended up in all forums, any concerns?

Community Forums Program Manager
    Thursday, September 17, 2009 5:42 AM
  • It wouldn't help me. I don't view questions in order to answer them. I look at them if they are interesting. They are interesting if:

A) I can be useful in answering them.
    B) There is something for me to learn.
    C) It shows trends.

If the reason it is interesting is because i want to answer it, showing the ones that are unanswered would make it more interesting. That would be helpful if i could use a checkbox to create a list of all the ones i want to answer in this session, and then the forums prioritized them for me. But, using the regular list and clicking to open in new tabs, won't change much.
    • Edited by Brian Tkatch Thursday, September 17, 2009 2:36 PM typo
    Thursday, September 17, 2009 2:36 PM
  • It is a good idea but cant this be done if someone uses the feature to alert himslef in case of any activity on any thread.
    And to add to Brain, its correct as far as the answerers are concerned the question should be interesting.
    It does not matter how many people are looking for its answer.
    Hope this helps !!
    Please close the thread once answered

Sudeep      My Blog
    Monday, September 21, 2009 9:38 AM