Top links to RRS feed

• Question

• I've just been reading the new blog post on getting websites ranked on Live search.  It recommends that I use Webmaster Tools to "see who's linking to [my] site".  The problem is, of the ten links on the 'Top links to' page, nine of them are from the site (ie. they are internal rather than external links) and the other is the domain alias - our 'old' website which redirects to the current one.  It's hard to judge the quality of our inbound links to a site when all the links listed are from that site.

Rob

Tuesday, January 15, 2008 6:05 PM

Answers

• Looking at your backlinks these are the best ranking pages linking to your site.  Meaning, normally you wouldn't get these to show up but the other backlinks, of which there are very few to your site, rank really poorly.

Take it as a sign that you need to work on the links.  In the future we are adding the option to hide links from you to you, so you wil be able to see the other sites.

Jeremiah.

Monday, February 4, 2008 3:43 AM

All replies

• I have the same issue.. and over to the right side, under the "country code" column it says gb (I am in the US)

Thursday, January 17, 2008 3:39 AM
  • Can you send me your sites and I can look?  It is quite possible that the best ranked pages link to your site are your own.  I typically only see this with newer sites, but if you send me your page I can have a look.

Jeremiah

Tuesday, January 22, 2008 4:36 PM
  • The site in question is www.serviceworksglobal.com and it has been online since 2003.

I agree that it's entirely possible that the best ranked pages which link to the site are pages on the site, what I'm complaining about is that this is not useful information.  I already know what the best ranked pages on my site are, it's on the Summary tab of the webmaster tools, I'm not sure how repeating that information on what is now the 'Top Backlinks' tab is of much use to anyone, other than giving five more pages than appear on the summary tab?

Rob

Wednesday, January 23, 2008 1:30 PM
  • Looking at your backlinks these are the best ranking pages linking to your site.  Meaning, normally you wouldn't get these to show up but the other backlinks, of which there are very few to your site, rank really poorly.

Take it as a sign that you need to work on the links.  In the future we are adding the option to hide links from you to you, so you wil be able to see the other sites.

Jeremiah.

Monday, February 4, 2008 3:43 AM
  •  

Speaking of backlinks can I get a listing of all the links to my domain and not have to go in and look at each subdomain?

My site is http://www.maguireclan.net

I have about 30ish subdomains off of this.

Tuesday, February 19, 2008 10:19 PM
  • We are having the same issue.  Not a new site at all.

www.sfxperformance.com

Your insight would be most helpful.

Thursday, February 28, 2008 4:14 AM
  • How does MSN determine which URLs are more relevant?

Rajat Garg
    www.pilotoutlook.com
    Friday, March 7, 2008 3:40 AM
  •  

I m having the same problem with http://www.paxil-online.com and tramadol prescription   I have read that for google the quality of the links is really important yahoo cares more about quantity but what about MSN I have seem webistes ranking even without backlinks?  Thanks
    Saturday, March 15, 2008 3:50 PM
  •  Jeremiah Andrick - Microsoft wrote:

Looking at your backlinks these are the best ranking pages linking to your site.  Meaning, normally you wouldn't get these to show up but the other backlinks, of which there are very few to your site, rank really poorly.

Jeremiah.

Is this being addressed?

I have the same problem with http://www.GLComputing.com.au which has been around more than 10 years and has many good external sites linked to it. Yet 9 of the top 10 Backlinks are from the site and the other is one I would think is actually a really poor site
    Sunday, June 29, 2008 12:38 AM