"There is an action you should take" (OneCare balloon) RRS feed

• Question

• How do the teams at Microsoft always seem to come up with these awkward phrases?

Wouldn't it be better to say the following?: "An item requires your attention."

Wednesday, February 27, 2008 8:33 PM

Answers

• I don't know. Both phrases work fine for me.

-steve

Thursday, February 28, 2008 2:18 AM

All replies

• I don't know. Both phrases work fine for me.

-steve

Thursday, February 28, 2008 2:18 AM
  • How do I stop "There is an action you should take" if it is an action I don't want to take? Specifically I don't want to upgrade from IE 6 to IE 7. I use another browser except for the rare times when I have to use IE such as going online to update Windows, and my stupid bank requires IE to get my monthly statement.
    Tuesday, March 11, 2008 8:32 PM
  • You need to upgrade to IE7 as the browser components of IE6 pose a security risk to the PC. Even if you don't use it, parts of IE are used by the OS and other programs. You can't clear the warning without updating.

-steve

Tuesday, March 11, 2008 11:31 PM
  • I think it is bad that OneCare does not allow me to clear this warning of an action I need to take. It is my risk if I use IE6. And if OneCare works at all, it should protect me unless I use IE as my primary browser which I don't.

By the way I only found the answer you were kind enough to send by looking around thew forum area and clicking on "Hotmail". I don't have a Hotmail account and did not know that my new email address with OneCare, which has "live.com" as a domain, is a Hotmail account. Did I miss that somewhere in the instructions and registration.
    Ed
    Friday, March 21, 2008 5:55 AM
  • When you activated OneCare, if you didn't have a LiveID, you created one. During that creation process, there may have been some information that told you that you were also able to use that ID to log into Hotmail with it and "claim" your Hotmail account for that LiveID.

Even if you are not using IE at all, other programs use the components of IE for various purposes. Since the vulnerabilities exist, there remains a possibility that the vulnerability can be exploited despite the efforts of OneCare. The best prevention is to upgrade IE and then use the browser of your choosing.

-steve

Friday, March 21, 2008 4:16 PM