none
Please prompt a message when user close the window and the Reply box is open

Question

• Sometimes, we may click the link in the thread or close the browser window involuntarily. If we has open the reply box and typed the reply, MSDN forum will jump to the target page ro close the corrent page to ignore the typed reply. It is very bad, we need to open and type the reply again.

Please add the feature when the page will close or redirect to other page, check the "Reply" box if it is open. Prompt the message to user and ask to save the reply.

Thanks.

Bob Bao [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Thursday, April 7, 2011 3:58 AM

All replies

• Off-topic, but if any of the posters to my forum had that sig, I would ask them to change it by at the very least removing the three final lines which are a blatant product advert.

The sig is far too long and that final section far too annoying (product advert; widespread use of bold; large bold blue text)

On the subject itself, I often get a message saying that I have a reply box open. It's not a very useful message because when I get it the only thing I seem to be able to do is refresh the thread which naturally also removes any text I have previously written in the reply box.

SP 2010 "FAQ" (mainly useful links): http://wssv4faq.mindsharp.com/default.aspx
    WSS3/MOSS FAQ (FAQ and Links) http://wssv3faq.mindsharp.com/default.aspx
    Both also have links to extensive book lists and to (free) on-line chapters
    Friday, April 8, 2011 10:52 AM
  • On the subject itself, I often get a message saying that I have a reply box open. It's not a very useful message because when I get it the only thing I seem to be able to do is refresh the thread which naturally also removes any text I have previously written in the reply box.

OTOH on the Answers forum I'd say we get them too much, especially when its useless search fails and we are already signed in.  ; }

However, FWIW I can remember in Answers 1.0 getting such a message and did think it was helpful, provided I could remember where I had already started a reply.  In that respect it wasn't very useful.  I don't think it has to be an unfinished reply in the same thread, just anywhere in the same session, so it might even be in a different tab.

IIRC there was also a different message for your scenario, which at least warns you to do something about your typing and provides an opportunity for you to capture it, e.g. with Ctrl-a, Ctrl-c before doing something which would cause it to be lost.

---

Friday, April 8, 2011 3:17 PM