differences between 2004 & 2007 RRS feed

• Question

• Can someone please elaborate on the differences between the 2004 telephony model and the 2007 model?  Specifically, comparing a 4-port analog deployment (using a d41jctls card for example) with a 2007 deployment with an AudioCodes MP114FXO.  The 2004 model had the TIM specify the number of incoming/outgoing ports, and they did not overlap.  How does that work in the 2007 model?  As far as I know, you're not allocating any "ports" (in the 2004 telephony sense) in 2007.  So how do I limit/allocate the amount of inbound and outbound activity on the system?  Can all 4 ports handle both incoming/outgoing calls?  What are best practices for configuring this?

I apologize if this isn't real clear, I'm trying to wrap my head around the SIP->analog model in 2007.

Thank you,

Jon

Tuesday, February 5, 2008 5:22 PM

Answers

• If you don't configure any limits, and there are no restrictions on the AudioCodes, you can use all 4 ports for incoming or outgoing.  However, you will of course be unable to place outgoing calls if all 4 ports are in use for inbound, and vice versa.

If you want to dedicate ports for inbound/outbound, you can do this on Speech Server by setting MaxIncomingCalls and MaxOutgoingCalls.  You might be able to do something similar on the AudioCodes, you would have to look at it's documentation.  Given a single gateway & single Speech Server (i.e. what you have with just a 4 port board), it doesn't really matter whether you limit the #incoming at the gateway or Speech Server, however you will get better behaviour if you limit #outgoing at Speech Server rather than at the gateway.  If you were in a larger-port situation, sharing a single gateway across multiple Speech Servers, then you would get better system-wide control by applying the limits at the gateway.

Thursday, February 7, 2008 10:56 AM