Vista Business New Laptop -- OneCare Install Failure RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

My Dad is trying to set up my laptop for university, but he's having trouble with software installations.  Here is the situation:

BACKGROUND

Lenovo T61 with Vista Business (it was on sale...)

Norton Anti-Virus fully removed from system.

Running as Administrator

SITUATION

Running either directly from the OneCare site AS ADMINISTRATOR or the "SetupOnecare.exe" downloaded file, we first of all get a User Account Control question, which we say "Allow".

However, then there is immediately a message "OneCare Setup Package" has stoppped working, Microsoft looks for a solution to the problem, but doesn't find it. 

Interestingly (Dad writing now), we have had the same problem with some other software, but not all other software.  We were unable to install APC PowerChute, but we were able to install RoboForm.  We are fairly experienced with running XP with Admin and lower rights User accounts.  I figure it doesn't make any difference that the Admin account has been renamed?

So right now we are totally stymied, and there doesn't seem to be any info around on this.  It seems to be a Vista issue.

This is why we go with Microsoft generally all the way, because OneCare and Vista should work well together.

Any advice or further questions will be warmly welcomed.

Thanks

K + J

Monday, August 25, 2008 12:21 AM

Answers

All replies

• Renaming the Administrator account could be problematic. UAC calls the Administrator account whenever elevated permissions are required such as when installing software. If UAC can't find the Administrator account to grant permission to elevate the privileges of a standard user most software installations will fail.

Monday, August 25, 2008 12:39 AM
  •  

Jim,

Great suggestion!  We have now tried this.  Went back to the original Administrator account.  Re-booted etc.  The original account was never deleted.  However ...

On trying to install OneCare, we get this popup:

Internet Explorer - Security Warning (title of popup)

"Windows has found a problem with this file."

Name:  SetupOnecare.exe

Publisher:  Unknown Publisher

"This file was blocked because it does not have a valid digital signature that verifies its publisher."

[The last item had the diagonal white cross inside a red shield logo.]

More advice would be doubly appreciated!

Thanks,

Just "J" this time.

Monday, August 25, 2008 1:15 AM
  • J, try adding the One Care site you are downloading from to the Internet Explorer trusted sites. Another option would be to open Internet Explorer>Tools>Advanced, scroll down to Security and uncheck "Check for signatures on downloaded programs". After One Care installation go back and check"Check for signatures on downloaded programs".

Monday, August 25, 2008 1:25 AM
  • Jim,

Tried both suggestions, the safe site thing wouldn't take because it wanted an "HTTPS" prefix.  But I unchecked the check signature thing.  Nevertheless, the dialogue that comes up eventually, regardless of running it directly from the web, or saved from disk, is this:

c: .... location on disk\SetupOneCare.exe

"The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuraiton is incorrect.  Please see the application event log for more detail."

Here is one of the messages in the event log:

Activation context generation failed for "C:\Users\Administrator\Downloads\SetupOneCare.exe".Error in manifest or policy file "C:\Users\Administrator\Downloads\SetupOneCare.exe" on line 0. Invalid Xml syntax.

Sure wish this wasn't quite so complicated!

Thanks!

J.

Monday, August 25, 2008 1:45 AM
  • I usually don't like to suggest this but it might be best long term to format the drive and reinstall Vista.

Monday, August 25, 2008 1:59 AM
  • Jim,

I was thinking the same thing, but before I do, is there any insight that you can give me as to why this is happening?  Just because of the the renamed Admin account?  Or other things?  Re-install is pretty serious.  I want to make sure it doesn't happen again.  Fortunately, there's not data involved yet!

Thanks,

J.

Monday, August 25, 2008 2:02 AM
  • Jim,

Permit me one more question -- I see that some applications are causing this type of problem -- is there any chance that Norton Anti-Virus, which I had previously de-installed, wasn't completely de-installed and may be causing a problem?  I will have to re-image from the Lenovo disks, so the Norton will re-appear again until I trash it.

Thanks,

J.

Monday, August 25, 2008 2:04 AM
  •  

OK, folks, in case anyone is reading this thread, I'm restoring to factory.  Then won't rename the Admin account.  We'll see if this makes a difference.  The Lenovo image is installed on disk so "this should be easy" : ) , other than losing a day of time : (  which no one has.

J.

Monday, August 25, 2008 2:31 AM
  • J., I suggested reinstalling Vista because I think it will be a faster way to get you up and running rather than try to track down what is causing the issues. Running the Norton uninstall tool after uninstalling Norton is a good idea.Norton uninstall tool - http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039

Monday, August 25, 2008 4:11 AM
  • Jim,

Thanks again.  I successfully rebuilt the OS, Lenovo has a nice on-disk method for supporting that.  And then everything was fine for a while -- successfully installed OneCare for instance, and then later MS Office.  However, I could NOT run the Norton De-Install Tool, or some other utilities, including Paragon Partitioning for Vista.  Despite running as full Administrator, and right-clicking etc., everything else now is refusing to install -- the dreaded "stopped working" message.  This is discouraging.  I am about to make the expensive call to MS support.  Any ideas before then?  I really hoping we don't get finger pointing between Lenovo and MS.  I figure this is entirely a Vista issue.

Tuesday, August 26, 2008 3:08 AM
  • J, you should contact Lenovo technical support since the laptop is new and the manufacturer provides operating system support on an OEM installation.

Tuesday, August 26, 2008 3:28 AM