none
Guys Chat Here - Part-II RRS feed

• Question

• Okay guys!! Upon request here is the new thread, this thread is in continuation to my previous thread "Guys chat here"

All further discussions of the above thread are requested to be done here.
    Wednesday, May 23, 2007 4:24 PM

Answers

• WOW! I thought sequels were only for books, movies and games. Now forum threads also have sequels.

COOL!!!

Anyway, Harshil, i also have the same problem. I think the points will be updated as soon as the registered members receive thier first newsletter.

Wednesday, May 23, 2007 4:35 PM
  • Hey but i thought there will be quiz and all.. but its only newsletter...
    Wednesday, May 23, 2007 4:37 PM
  • yes guys, its very small contest. Just asking us to refer others and make more and more bakras Smile
    The one who has made the most bakras win Smile

People who like doing the referral activities in the rockstar, are suggested to take part in that contest, and increase the number of bakras , and also increase the number of persons getting the newsletter Smile
    Wednesday, May 23, 2007 5:17 PM
  • And Adnan has already made bakras of all of us
    Wednesday, May 23, 2007 5:32 PM
  • But i dont think he will get points in making us the bakras, as the RFID in the referral link is different everytime for each and every referral Sad So we will personally need to invite our friends from that site itself, so as they get the unique referral id.

If he had said us earlier about this, then may be we would have given our email id to him, so that we can become his bakra Smile
    Wednesday, May 23, 2007 6:07 PM
  • Nice info about the working of refferal with a example of a bakra Wink
    Thursday, May 24, 2007 1:38 AM
  • @Harshil, looking at the link i knew, i wouldnt get any points from the referrals. I am least bit interested in this contest. Has anyone seen a sample of the MSDN flash newsletter. It has tons of latest news, articles, tips , downloads and much more. Since we are all developers, i thought this information would be very usefull for us. That is why i posted the link. I liked the newsletter so much, that i evenb registered again directly on the msdn site for the newsletter, just in case!

Check it out.

Thursday, May 24, 2007 3:41 AM
  • yes m8, i have seen the samples, they look very cool, and also very good information in it. It is very useful for us. Guys i suggest all of you to subscribe it.
    Thursday, May 24, 2007 5:55 AM
  • Well Adnan.. though you didnt intended to do so.. but looks like it backfired making a bakra of the Bakra
    Just kidding.. ya the news letter are nice.. thankz for the link...
    Thursday, May 24, 2007 9:33 AM
  • Ihave emailed the admins of that DKD (developer Knowledge Drive). He responded to me immediately asking for the referral id along with the emails of my friends i referred . I sent him those information properly. Then he responded me saying that the referrals are not there on the database as of tuesday Stick out tongue

He wrote email to me on thursday..... So does it mean that they use old database there too ?? Man what is MS doing ? dont they have any perfect contest ? Problems and bugs everywhere.
    Friday, May 25, 2007 4:38 AM
  • I am beginning to think that the contest is a hoax.... Cos MS conducts lots of contests and no contest had support this bad.... The problerm is not only with you and me, but a lot of other people as well.
    Friday, May 25, 2007 5:35 AM
  • Well guys, May be they are hoax or may be not.. all i know is that we are learning something from them... for what do we all have to fuzz about?? If learning is good, all is good. and i suppose we all give our free time to it,, its not that we are taking out time specially for them.. so no need to worry....
    Friday, May 25, 2007 7:22 AM
  • @Varun -  I think adnan was talking about that DKD contest. It got nothing to learn except for the newsleters we receive. We can get those newsletters from subscribing to it frmo MSDN directly itself. the only motive of that contest is to refer more and more people to the newsletter. Stick out tongue And even by inviting our friends, if we dont get the points, why care about it ? Why not just tell our friends to directly subscribe from msdn Wink We already have our friend list in our email contact lists, just send the msdn link to them, why type in every name you want to refer on that DKD site  ......
    Friday, May 25, 2007 8:10 AM
  • That is right.. y to type in all the details... also it is not good to give out the email addresses this way.. what if they start throwing in adds to the email add...
    Friday, May 25, 2007 10:30 AM
  • Thats what i thought also. Maybe this is a spam scam. (Sorry no pun intended.) Who knows? Lets wait and see. We already have our plates full with exams and this contest....
    Friday, May 25, 2007 10:55 AM
  • Hope we are not stuck in the spam scam. We are already bakras of that contest, dont want to become a bakra for spamming ;P
    Friday, May 25, 2007 11:50 AM
  • Maaaaaaa
    Friday, May 25, 2007 5:24 PM
  • Good humour Adnan. I was literally laughing when i read that Maaaa, and also that BAKRA emoticon Stick out tongue
    Friday, May 25, 2007 5:53 PM
  • Dont thank me, thank MS for having the foresight to keep such emoticons available in the forum.
    Friday, May 25, 2007 6:00 PM
  • Finally we have cracked the Code. That DKD is just a bakra. The hint is given as an emoticon by MS Stick out tongue So that contest is nothing else other than becoming a bakra.

Welcome to the Guild of bakras!!!

Adnan - Good work in cracking the code. CrackCode4bill winner is adnan.
    Friday, May 25, 2007 6:13 PM
  • Me winner of Code4Bill????

Thank you! Thank you!

No applause necessary.

I would like to thank, my keyboard for enduring me for so long, my mouse who i have squeaked to death, my ...... blah blah............ Thank you one and all.

Party!

Friday, May 25, 2007 6:25 PM
  • Hahaha , Bakras all the way to MS....
    Looks like MS is taking something from Google.. you know, every year Google deploys something to fool people during April.. this year it was the free broadband service.. TISP...

Looks like MS is also going to have something like this...
    Friday, May 25, 2007 6:53 PM
  • @Adnan - Good speech .

@Varun - Unlike Google's April Fool TISP , Looks like MS believes in doing things differently, by making us May Bakras ....Stick out tongue
    Friday, May 25, 2007 7:11 PM
  • Guys i need to know something....

1.) The best linux version or OS for gaming..

2.) List of games that can be run on linux....

I need to have this answers fast.. so please help..
    Saturday, May 26, 2007 3:56 AM
  • I dont know about which linux is best for gaming.  I think you can configure all of them

• Best Free Game - Frozen Bubble
    • Best Free 3D Action Game - Cube
    • Best Free Arcade Game - Frozen Bubble
    • Best Free Cards/Board/Gambling Game - PySol
    • Best Free Multiplayer Action Game - BZFlag
    • Best Free Multiplayer Strategy Game - Freeciv
    • Best Free Role-Playing Game - NetHack: Falcon's Eye
    • Best Free Simulation Game - Flight Gear
    • Best Free Single Player Strategy Game - Freeciv
    More info on http://www.linuxgames.com/ about how to configure it Smile

Saturday, May 26, 2007 5:19 AM
  • I know the above are not popular game, but one of the most popular game QUAKE Smile

it was cross platform, it was perfered to run the quake server on unix Smile

Saturday, May 26, 2007 5:33 AM
  • Thankz Harshil, actually my uncle has a gaming parlor.. he is shifting to linux on all his computers. so he was asking for the games that run on linux..
    Saturday, May 26, 2007 6:33 AM
  • Guys check out this thread and give your comments here..

http://forums.microsoft.com/SamVaad/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1651893&SiteID=43&mode=1
    Saturday, May 26, 2007 6:54 AM
  • its a good idea and i believe that it will keep everyone updated with the new threds and it will also serve the purpose of keeping evrything organised..

anyways varun, i hav also posted a suggestion over there, so pls have a look at it and comment......

pls keep that thread neat ..then it will serve a very good purpose
    Saturday, May 26, 2007 12:00 PM
  • This idea is fantastic. It is unfortunate that these things are picking up at the end of the contest, otherwise we would have had more fun....
    Saturday, May 26, 2007 3:53 PM
  • Man really a good idea. We can now get posted through the alerts when a new thread has been created. Hope people use it properly.
    Saturday, May 26, 2007 5:40 PM
  • @anoop, that is perfectly alrite, i was thinking the same way, that is the reason i asked you guys to give comments here and not there.. there we will have only links and nothing else...
    Saturday, May 26, 2007 5:58 PM
  • Wonderful idea...
    Sunday, May 27, 2007 5:34 AM
  • Thankz but looks like no one has started any thread recently.. because there are no links there.. so even if you have started any thread in last 3 days, post the links...
    Sunday, May 27, 2007 6:25 AM
  • Guys i need some help. My harddisk has crashed. If it is present in the system, it does not start, and i just get the continous indicator for the hard disk. If i remove the harddisk, i get the boot screen.

Any suggestions to recover/repair the disk?

Sunday, May 27, 2007 9:54 AM
  • wats the exact error msg u r getting?
    Sunday, May 27, 2007 12:27 PM
  • I think there could have been bad sectors in the hard disk, that too at the prime locations, i.e. like at the 1st physical location...
    I dont know much about it, but try to attach the hard disk to some other p.c. as a slave drive and then check what the problem is.. if it works perfectly their, than there is some problem in the motherboard.. or else you would get a more clear idea of what the problem is..

But keep us informed of the proceeding, it is good to learn about it so that others can avoid the similar cases... also tell us what happened before the hard-disk crashed, i.e. the cause of the crash...
    Sunday, May 27, 2007 1:24 PM
  • I dont know what caused the crash. But i removed the drive from the cabinet and attached the connections, and now its working fine. I am looking for a good repair software to repair the bad sectors. Did anybody have a similar experience?
    Sunday, May 27, 2007 3:02 PM
  • When you keep the drive out of the cabinet it works???

Than there is some earthing problem.. i had this problem with the floppy drive..... the place where floppy drive was kept had the earthing problem, so even when my comp detected the drive i was not able to use it...

so i had to keep it at a diff location to make it run....
    Sunday, May 27, 2007 4:57 PM
  • I dont think its a earthing problem. The drive was making clicking sounds for quite some time, now since it is outside its stopped making noises. Maybe it needed a little fresh air.

Anyway thanks for the advice Varun. For the time bieng, i am just happy the drive is working and i can use to the system to write this post. I'll do a little research on the problem later. After all "Ignorance IS bliss".

Sunday, May 27, 2007 8:40 PM
  • @ Hema - Change your forum display name , else you will not get points for participation if forums...
    Monday, May 28, 2007 2:36 PM
  • why not change it to hemu. a guy name.
    right Mr. Raghu.
    by the way, what's going on here
    Monday, May 28, 2007 2:39 PM
  • I dont know why Hema is advertising this site so much.. she already has a thread for it, but why advertise in other threads???
    Monday, May 28, 2007 4:22 PM
  • Well the aswer to this question could be the fact, that she is trying to make more number of posts, but unfortunately with the same content. What will people think up of next?
    Monday, May 28, 2007 10:37 PM
  • Well if there is some commission or something for doing it, then i think the thread starter deserves a part of it too

After that all the members of that thread should get a part of it...
    Tuesday, May 29, 2007 4:35 AM
  • exactly varun
    Tuesday, May 29, 2007 7:34 AM
  • Guys, I think you might have missed me, or may be not. My ADSL modem got short circuited, so i had to get it repaired. Finally i ended up buying me a new adsl modem Smile

But now i am back, we can have more discussions now. I missed ya all in these 2 days Smile
    Tuesday, May 29, 2007 1:47 PM
  • Harshil i was going to write down here.. but then you replied...

So tell us more about the adsl modem.. i think you have bsnl rite.. so didnt they changed it for free??? you had to buy a new one???
    Tuesday, May 29, 2007 3:54 PM
  • Speaking of ADSL, could somebody explain whats adsl, adsl2 and dsl. Something about the terminologies and differences...
    Tuesday, May 29, 2007 11:56 PM
  • Hey Varun, i had bought the modem from BSNL, it wasn't a rented one. Also the 1 year warranty was over. So, only option for me was to buy it from bsnl. I called the commercial officer,he said that they got no stock about the modems, and due to no availability of stocks, the persons whohave newly applied for the connection are still in queue. It would take about 15-20 days to get the modem.

I couldn't wait much, i pad a few 100 bucks more and got the new dlink modem.

Well, its a D-Link GLB-502T ADSL2 + Router. Unlike bsnl modems,  it got an inbuilt splitter. So no need for an external splitter. There are two telephone pins on the modem, one for incomming, which goes into the internal splitter, and one which comes out for the phone .

I have tested the speeds, i am still getting the max speed offered by bsnl 1.8-1.85mbps Smile they say 2, but practically its 10% lesser cause of the QoS and other factors.

It got one LAN, one USB.  I haven't tried usb. But soon i will try. All my friends who are using usb are facing slower speeds than me. So they say that usb is slower. I want to prove them wrong Smile so i will try to get the same speed as i am getting right now Wink.
    Wednesday, May 30, 2007 3:09 AM
  • Hey, nice information... but as i think that renting the modem would have been a better option, rite??? because rent charges are 60 per month which brings down to 720 a year compared to 1200 bucks to purchase one....

Also tell me, are the modems available outside, i.e. other than the one bsnl provides, does this modem works?? some of my frnds are still waiting for the internet connection but the modems are not available, some have been even told that the waiting period is till december....
    Wednesday, May 30, 2007 4:30 AM
  • Hey man, Renting modem is Rs. 60 per month.As its called Rent, i think you have to pay it lifetime.

You can get any adsl modem fromk the market, and it will work . BSNL provides Huawei modems, the one i got is D-link. Being a good company i prefered D-link. I tried finding Linksys, but it was not available, so i settled with d-link. If your friends dont mind buying a modem from outside, may be you can suggest them this idea. SO that they wont have to wait anymore for the connection. They wont have to wait all the way till december. And PHEW, DECEMBER !!!!!!! thats toooooooo long.
    Wednesday, May 30, 2007 7:30 AM
  • Alrite, i will ask them to buy one from outside.. And yes the December is true, Even i experienced it once.. actually do you remember that we had a scheme of 2 months free broadband initially, I had applied at that time, but i got that connection after 3 months, than the line man came with the modem and all, but didnt knew how to install it.. he gave me a installation cd and asked to install, than there was a problem in installation and he didnt knew what to do..

He called up at the main office and asked me to talk to an officer, the officer said that i will have to format all and install the os again.. phew!!! i was so angry at that time.. i had all my work and exams.. i just asked them to cancel the connection and told them that i dont even want the free service...
    Wednesday, May 30, 2007 9:42 AM
  • Thanks for the info about dsl and adsl.
    Wednesday, May 30, 2007 10:43 AM
  • But this means, that God forbid, if you ever need customer care, then you cant expect it any sooner than 9 months. Maybe BSL people should outsource the department, and let a BPO company handle the customer care dept.
    Wednesday, May 30, 2007 5:58 PM
  • haha nice suggestion, but then they wont be able to afford such a low cost broadband service....
    But yes the customer service is very poor in Bsnl.. thatz a big problem...
    Wednesday, May 30, 2007 6:02 PM
  • I agree with you adnan, i think that BPO outsourcing of the services is really a cool idea. BSNL also has its own customer care, but when we call them and ask for a query, they have no idea what we are talking about. They always say that they have no idea about it, or to contact the local officer in the exchange Stick out tongue
    Wednesday, May 30, 2007 6:09 PM
  •  

Hello all,

ok, u all misunderstand me.

actually, i don't know much abt forums (one of my friend told me participate in good forums to Grab more knowledge) that's why   i'm trying to know more abt forums.

so, simply i'm giving reply  to many posts.

n one more thing is i don't have any relation n didn't get commission from bharatstudent site.

while surfing net i got through that site n feel good abt that study abroad n think it will helpfull to Indian students.

that's why i promote that site.

plz don't think other than that. ok na friends?

plz help me to grasp knowldge.

any way sorry if i'm going wrong.

Thursday, May 31, 2007 6:05 AM
  • No apology required. Please let us know, what you would like to learn about.
    Thursday, May 31, 2007 8:22 AM
  • And dont worry about the things we say, We were trying to have some nice chat Wink
    If you want to be more active on the forums, start some new threads on the topic which have been untouched, talk about it, give your view points..
    just replying saying the ususal stuff is not enough, give some meaningful points and your view points... this is the only way to learn and grow...
    Thursday, May 31, 2007 8:28 AM
  • @Hema - Why post the same introduction to yours in multiple thread. I know that you was questioned about promoting that bharatstudent site, but a post in any one of the thread will just do fine. People will read it.
    Thursday, May 31, 2007 8:40 AM
  • hellop people, how are you doing, its been a week, and i have missed samvaad and you guys....whats cooking man?....

Good to receive the points....

Also exams are going on, so cant be active....really sad about that

whats up?, harshil, varun and adnan????

How is it going raghuram???

Wednesday, June 6, 2007 8:02 AM
  • Good to see you back in form Anoop, I think every person should take a break one after another, because every time when some one returns from a break, he/she brings a new energy in the forums, so good to see the new energy, start something new to make things more interesting...
    Wednesday, June 6, 2007 9:10 AM
  • Hey Anoop, Good to see you Back, and All the best for your exams.

Hope they are going good.  As Varun said when people are back, they come back with more energy, the same has happened to me also. I have only been offline for 2 days, and i missed samvaad and you guys a lot. Me and Anoop have already taken a break, what about you , raghuram, adnan ? i think you guys are working in the forums, even during your exams. This is really nice man seeing your dedication for this contest, and especially for this forums which we all have together build.
    Wednesday, June 6, 2007 2:33 PM
  • I think its time to start Part-III  for this thread guys. What say you all ?
    Wednesday, June 6, 2007 2:34 PM
  • Yes, because travelling a thread which has more than 5 pages is a tough job.. so i think after crossing the 5 pages we should start the new part...
    Wednesday, June 6, 2007 3:10 PM
  • Thanks Varun for Agreeing.  Ill post a link to it when i start the Part-III of this thread Wink
    Wednesday, June 6, 2007 3:40 PM

All replies

• WOW! I thought sequels were only for books, movies and games. Now forum threads also have sequels.

COOL!!!

Anyway, Harshil, i also have the same problem. I think the points will be updated as soon as the registered members receive thier first newsletter.

Wednesday, May 23, 2007 4:35 PM
  • Hey but i thought there will be quiz and all.. but its only newsletter...
    Wednesday, May 23, 2007 4:37 PM
  • yes guys, its very small contest. Just asking us to refer others and make more and more bakras Smile
    The one who has made the most bakras win Smile

People who like doing the referral activities in the rockstar, are suggested to take part in that contest, and increase the number of bakras , and also increase the number of persons getting the newsletter Smile
    Wednesday, May 23, 2007 5:17 PM
  • And Adnan has already made bakras of all of us
    Wednesday, May 23, 2007 5:32 PM
  • But i dont think he will get points in making us the bakras, as the RFID in the referral link is different everytime for each and every referral Sad So we will personally need to invite our friends from that site itself, so as they get the unique referral id.

If he had said us earlier about this, then may be we would have given our email id to him, so that we can become his bakra Smile
    Wednesday, May 23, 2007 6:07 PM
  • Nice info about the working of refferal with a example of a bakra Wink
    Thursday, May 24, 2007 1:38 AM
  • @Harshil, looking at the link i knew, i wouldnt get any points from the referrals. I am least bit interested in this contest. Has anyone seen a sample of the MSDN flash newsletter. It has tons of latest news, articles, tips , downloads and much more. Since we are all developers, i thought this information would be very usefull for us. That is why i posted the link. I liked the newsletter so much, that i evenb registered again directly on the msdn site for the newsletter, just in case!

Check it out.

Thursday, May 24, 2007 3:41 AM
  • yes m8, i have seen the samples, they look very cool, and also very good information in it. It is very useful for us. Guys i suggest all of you to subscribe it.
    Thursday, May 24, 2007 5:55 AM
  • Well Adnan.. though you didnt intended to do so.. but looks like it backfired making a bakra of the Bakra
    Just kidding.. ya the news letter are nice.. thankz for the link...
    Thursday, May 24, 2007 9:33 AM
  • Ihave emailed the admins of that DKD (developer Knowledge Drive). He responded to me immediately asking for the referral id along with the emails of my friends i referred . I sent him those information properly. Then he responded me saying that the referrals are not there on the database as of tuesday Stick out tongue

He wrote email to me on thursday..... So does it mean that they use old database there too ?? Man what is MS doing ? dont they have any perfect contest ? Problems and bugs everywhere.
    Friday, May 25, 2007 4:38 AM
  • I am beginning to think that the contest is a hoax.... Cos MS conducts lots of contests and no contest had support this bad.... The problerm is not only with you and me, but a lot of other people as well.
    Friday, May 25, 2007 5:35 AM
  • Well guys, May be they are hoax or may be not.. all i know is that we are learning something from them... for what do we all have to fuzz about?? If learning is good, all is good. and i suppose we all give our free time to it,, its not that we are taking out time specially for them.. so no need to worry....
    Friday, May 25, 2007 7:22 AM
  • @Varun -  I think adnan was talking about that DKD contest. It got nothing to learn except for the newsleters we receive. We can get those newsletters from subscribing to it frmo MSDN directly itself. the only motive of that contest is to refer more and more people to the newsletter. Stick out tongue And even by inviting our friends, if we dont get the points, why care about it ? Why not just tell our friends to directly subscribe from msdn Wink We already have our friend list in our email contact lists, just send the msdn link to them, why type in every name you want to refer on that DKD site  ......
    Friday, May 25, 2007 8:10 AM
  • That is right.. y to type in all the details... also it is not good to give out the email addresses this way.. what if they start throwing in adds to the email add...
    Friday, May 25, 2007 10:30 AM
  • Thats what i thought also. Maybe this is a spam scam. (Sorry no pun intended.) Who knows? Lets wait and see. We already have our plates full with exams and this contest....
    Friday, May 25, 2007 10:55 AM
  • Hope we are not stuck in the spam scam. We are already bakras of that contest, dont want to become a bakra for spamming ;P
    Friday, May 25, 2007 11:50 AM
  • Maaaaaaa
    Friday, May 25, 2007 5:24 PM
  • Good humour Adnan. I was literally laughing when i read that Maaaa, and also that BAKRA emoticon Stick out tongue
    Friday, May 25, 2007 5:53 PM
  • Dont thank me, thank MS for having the foresight to keep such emoticons available in the forum.
    Friday, May 25, 2007 6:00 PM
  • Finally we have cracked the Code. That DKD is just a bakra. The hint is given as an emoticon by MS Stick out tongue So that contest is nothing else other than becoming a bakra.

Welcome to the Guild of bakras!!!

Adnan - Good work in cracking the code. CrackCode4bill winner is adnan.
    Friday, May 25, 2007 6:13 PM
  • Me winner of Code4Bill????

Thank you! Thank you!

No applause necessary.

I would like to thank, my keyboard for enduring me for so long, my mouse who i have squeaked to death, my ...... blah blah............ Thank you one and all.

Party!

Friday, May 25, 2007 6:25 PM
  • Hahaha , Bakras all the way to MS....
    Looks like MS is taking something from Google.. you know, every year Google deploys something to fool people during April.. this year it was the free broadband service.. TISP...

Looks like MS is also going to have something like this...
    Friday, May 25, 2007 6:53 PM
  • @Adnan - Good speech .

@Varun - Unlike Google's April Fool TISP , Looks like MS believes in doing things differently, by making us May Bakras ....Stick out tongue
    Friday, May 25, 2007 7:11 PM
  • Guys i need to know something....

1.) The best linux version or OS for gaming..

2.) List of games that can be run on linux....

I need to have this answers fast.. so please help..
    Saturday, May 26, 2007 3:56 AM
  • I dont know about which linux is best for gaming.  I think you can configure all of them

• Best Free Game - Frozen Bubble
    • Best Free 3D Action Game - Cube
    • Best Free Arcade Game - Frozen Bubble
    • Best Free Cards/Board/Gambling Game - PySol
    • Best Free Multiplayer Action Game - BZFlag
    • Best Free Multiplayer Strategy Game - Freeciv
    • Best Free Role-Playing Game - NetHack: Falcon's Eye
    • Best Free Simulation Game - Flight Gear
    • Best Free Single Player Strategy Game - Freeciv
    More info on http://www.linuxgames.com/ about how to configure it Smile

Saturday, May 26, 2007 5:19 AM
  • I know the above are not popular game, but one of the most popular game QUAKE Smile

it was cross platform, it was perfered to run the quake server on unix Smile

Saturday, May 26, 2007 5:33 AM
  • Thankz Harshil, actually my uncle has a gaming parlor.. he is shifting to linux on all his computers. so he was asking for the games that run on linux..
    Saturday, May 26, 2007 6:33 AM
  • Guys check out this thread and give your comments here..

http://forums.microsoft.com/SamVaad/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1651893&SiteID=43&mode=1
    Saturday, May 26, 2007 6:54 AM
  • its a good idea and i believe that it will keep everyone updated with the new threds and it will also serve the purpose of keeping evrything organised..

anyways varun, i hav also posted a suggestion over there, so pls have a look at it and comment......

pls keep that thread neat ..then it will serve a very good purpose
    Saturday, May 26, 2007 12:00 PM
  • This idea is fantastic. It is unfortunate that these things are picking up at the end of the contest, otherwise we would have had more fun....
    Saturday, May 26, 2007 3:53 PM
  • Man really a good idea. We can now get posted through the alerts when a new thread has been created. Hope people use it properly.
    Saturday, May 26, 2007 5:40 PM
  • @anoop, that is perfectly alrite, i was thinking the same way, that is the reason i asked you guys to give comments here and not there.. there we will have only links and nothing else...
    Saturday, May 26, 2007 5:58 PM
  • Wonderful idea...
    Sunday, May 27, 2007 5:34 AM
  • Thankz but looks like no one has started any thread recently.. because there are no links there.. so even if you have started any thread in last 3 days, post the links...
    Sunday, May 27, 2007 6:25 AM
  • Guys i need some help. My harddisk has crashed. If it is present in the system, it does not start, and i just get the continous indicator for the hard disk. If i remove the harddisk, i get the boot screen.

Any suggestions to recover/repair the disk?

Sunday, May 27, 2007 9:54 AM
  • wats the exact error msg u r getting?
    Sunday, May 27, 2007 12:27 PM
  • I think there could have been bad sectors in the hard disk, that too at the prime locations, i.e. like at the 1st physical location...
    I dont know much about it, but try to attach the hard disk to some other p.c. as a slave drive and then check what the problem is.. if it works perfectly their, than there is some problem in the motherboard.. or else you would get a more clear idea of what the problem is..

But keep us informed of the proceeding, it is good to learn about it so that others can avoid the similar cases... also tell us what happened before the hard-disk crashed, i.e. the cause of the crash...
    Sunday, May 27, 2007 1:24 PM
  • I dont know what caused the crash. But i removed the drive from the cabinet and attached the connections, and now its working fine. I am looking for a good repair software to repair the bad sectors. Did anybody have a similar experience?
    Sunday, May 27, 2007 3:02 PM
  • When you keep the drive out of the cabinet it works???

Than there is some earthing problem.. i had this problem with the floppy drive..... the place where floppy drive was kept had the earthing problem, so even when my comp detected the drive i was not able to use it...

so i had to keep it at a diff location to make it run....
    Sunday, May 27, 2007 4:57 PM
  • I dont think its a earthing problem. The drive was making clicking sounds for quite some time, now since it is outside its stopped making noises. Maybe it needed a little fresh air.

Anyway thanks for the advice Varun. For the time bieng, i am just happy the drive is working and i can use to the system to write this post. I'll do a little research on the problem later. After all "Ignorance IS bliss".

Sunday, May 27, 2007 8:40 PM
  •  

Indian student

Monday, May 28, 2007 12:50 PM
  • Monday, May 28, 2007 1:01 PM
  • @ Hema - Change your forum display name , else you will not get points for participation if forums...
    Monday, May 28, 2007 2:36 PM
  • why not change it to hemu. a guy name.
    right Mr. Raghu.
    by the way, what's going on here
    Monday, May 28, 2007 2:39 PM
  • I dont know why Hema is advertising this site so much.. she already has a thread for it, but why advertise in other threads???
    Monday, May 28, 2007 4:22 PM
  • Well the aswer to this question could be the fact, that she is trying to make more number of posts, but unfortunately with the same content. What will people think up of next?
    Monday, May 28, 2007 10:37 PM
  • Well if there is some commission or something for doing it, then i think the thread starter deserves a part of it too

After that all the members of that thread should get a part of it...
    Tuesday, May 29, 2007 4:35 AM
  • exactly varun
    Tuesday, May 29, 2007 7:34 AM
  • Guys, I think you might have missed me, or may be not. My ADSL modem got short circuited, so i had to get it repaired. Finally i ended up buying me a new adsl modem Smile

But now i am back, we can have more discussions now. I missed ya all in these 2 days Smile
    Tuesday, May 29, 2007 1:47 PM
  • Harshil i was going to write down here.. but then you replied...

So tell us more about the adsl modem.. i think you have bsnl rite.. so didnt they changed it for free??? you had to buy a new one???
    Tuesday, May 29, 2007 3:54 PM
  • Speaking of ADSL, could somebody explain whats adsl, adsl2 and dsl. Something about the terminologies and differences...
    Tuesday, May 29, 2007 11:56 PM
  • Hey Varun, i had bought the modem from BSNL, it wasn't a rented one. Also the 1 year warranty was over. So, only option for me was to buy it from bsnl. I called the commercial officer,he said that they got no stock about the modems, and due to no availability of stocks, the persons whohave newly applied for the connection are still in queue. It would take about 15-20 days to get the modem.

I couldn't wait much, i pad a few 100 bucks more and got the new dlink modem.

Well, its a D-Link GLB-502T ADSL2 + Router. Unlike bsnl modems,  it got an inbuilt splitter. So no need for an external splitter. There are two telephone pins on the modem, one for incomming, which goes into the internal splitter, and one which comes out for the phone .

I have tested the speeds, i am still getting the max speed offered by bsnl 1.8-1.85mbps Smile they say 2, but practically its 10% lesser cause of the QoS and other factors.

It got one LAN, one USB.  I haven't tried usb. But soon i will try. All my friends who are using usb are facing slower speeds than me. So they say that usb is slower. I want to prove them wrong Smile so i will try to get the same speed as i am getting right now Wink.
    Wednesday, May 30, 2007 3:09 AM
  • DSL - Digital Subscriber Line

This category of technologies are currently the fastest available right now. DSL is the superset of many technologies, where data is transmitted down your normal copper line as digital signals, because voice uses a different frequency, you can do both at once, splitters at either end split the voice and the data into separate streams.

DSL technologies have a limit on the distance between the premises and your local telephone exchange, which is usually between 3KM and 5KM depending on the speed of the service you are applying for.

ADSL - Asymetric Digital Subscriber Line

Often simply referred to as DSL in America, this method has a different upload and download speed, the download speed is usually much faster than upload, and is therefore ideal for the home user. It usually starts at about 256kbps rising all the way upto 8mbps in some areas, which in theory is the maximum.

ADSL2+

Probably able to carry upto 25mbps downstream, this is a new technology being trialled in some areas.

I know its a paste from some other site. But ill explain what i know myself.

DSL - is used to offer data over existing copper lines. So you can transfer both voice and data. No both not to get mixed, they are multiplexed at different source frequencies.

ADSL - Its DSL but Asymmetric. Means that the uplink (upload) and downlink(download) both are different. In theory it can transfer upto max 8mbps. But thats not possible practicallt. about 1-2mbps is one of the common speed offered by isp through adsl.

ADSL2 : Its same as ADSL but it supports far better bandwidth. Theoretically upto 24mbps. It can also transmit data at longer distances compared to the above two. In India adsl 2 is not yet being used.

Wednesday, May 30, 2007 3:16 AM
  • Hey, nice information... but as i think that renting the modem would have been a better option, rite??? because rent charges are 60 per month which brings down to 720 a year compared to 1200 bucks to purchase one....

Also tell me, are the modems available outside, i.e. other than the one bsnl provides, does this modem works?? some of my frnds are still waiting for the internet connection but the modems are not available, some have been even told that the waiting period is till december....
    Wednesday, May 30, 2007 4:30 AM
  • Hey man, Renting modem is Rs. 60 per month.As its called Rent, i think you have to pay it lifetime.

You can get any adsl modem fromk the market, and it will work . BSNL provides Huawei modems, the one i got is D-link. Being a good company i prefered D-link. I tried finding Linksys, but it was not available, so i settled with d-link. If your friends dont mind buying a modem from outside, may be you can suggest them this idea. SO that they wont have to wait anymore for the connection. They wont have to wait all the way till december. And PHEW, DECEMBER !!!!!!! thats toooooooo long.
    Wednesday, May 30, 2007 7:30 AM
  • Alrite, i will ask them to buy one from outside.. And yes the December is true, Even i experienced it once.. actually do you remember that we had a scheme of 2 months free broadband initially, I had applied at that time, but i got that connection after 3 months, than the line man came with the modem and all, but didnt knew how to install it.. he gave me a installation cd and asked to install, than there was a problem in installation and he didnt knew what to do..

He called up at the main office and asked me to talk to an officer, the officer said that i will have to format all and install the os again.. phew!!! i was so angry at that time.. i had all my work and exams.. i just asked them to cancel the connection and told them that i dont even want the free service...
    Wednesday, May 30, 2007 9:42 AM
  • Thanks for the info about dsl and adsl.
    Wednesday, May 30, 2007 10:43 AM
  • Damn the same problem happened here. I was the first one to get the connection in my society and that too i had to put some pressure on the bsnl people from their seniors Smile.

The person who came to install was a good young techie. He knew all the things. With him there were 3-4 old babus. May be that young techie was hired to give training to those old baabus. the neighbour liked the speed, and he ordered immediately for a new connection . He got the connection after 9 months of registering. at that time, that same old baabuu came to install . He wasn;t able to install, so he called me and told me to try out. He also called out the officers at the exchange, but they were giving advice for a different modem. He had a pamphlet how to do the settings, but that was for a different modem, and totally different. This shows how untrained and bad the customer service of bsnl is. But once you get the conenction after all the pain and patience..... you will really love the speed and stability. There is no customer care required after that, cause there is no problem at all Stick out tongue
    Wednesday, May 30, 2007 5:36 PM
  • But this means, that God forbid, if you ever need customer care, then you cant expect it any sooner than 9 months. Maybe BSL people should outsource the department, and let a BPO company handle the customer care dept.
    Wednesday, May 30, 2007 5:58 PM
  • haha nice suggestion, but then they wont be able to afford such a low cost broadband service....
    But yes the customer service is very poor in Bsnl.. thatz a big problem...
    Wednesday, May 30, 2007 6:02 PM
  • I agree with you adnan, i think that BPO outsourcing of the services is really a cool idea. BSNL also has its own customer care, but when we call them and ask for a query, they have no idea what we are talking about. They always say that they have no idea about it, or to contact the local officer in the exchange Stick out tongue
    Wednesday, May 30, 2007 6:09 PM
  •  

Hello all,

ok, u all misunderstand me.

actually, i don't know much abt forums (one of my friend told me participate in good forums to Grab more knowledge) that's why   i'm trying to know more abt forums.

so, simply i'm giving reply  to many posts.

n one more thing is i don't have any relation n didn't get commission from bharatstudent site.

while surfing net i got through that site n feel good abt that study abroad n think it will helpfull to Indian students.

that's why i promote that site.

plz don't think other than that. ok na friends?

plz help me to grasp knowldge.

any way sorry if i'm going wrong.

Thursday, May 31, 2007 6:05 AM
  • No apology required. Please let us know, what you would like to learn about.
    Thursday, May 31, 2007 8:22 AM
  • And dont worry about the things we say, We were trying to have some nice chat Wink
    If you want to be more active on the forums, start some new threads on the topic which have been untouched, talk about it, give your view points..
    just replying saying the ususal stuff is not enough, give some meaningful points and your view points... this is the only way to learn and grow...
    Thursday, May 31, 2007 8:28 AM
  • @Hema - Why post the same introduction to yours in multiple thread. I know that you was questioned about promoting that bharatstudent site, but a post in any one of the thread will just do fine. People will read it.
    Thursday, May 31, 2007 8:40 AM
  • hellop people, how are you doing, its been a week, and i have missed samvaad and you guys....whats cooking man?....

Good to receive the points....

Also exams are going on, so cant be active....really sad about that

whats up?, harshil, varun and adnan????

How is it going raghuram???

Wednesday, June 6, 2007 8:02 AM
  • Good to see you back in form Anoop, I think every person should take a break one after another, because every time when some one returns from a break, he/she brings a new energy in the forums, so good to see the new energy, start something new to make things more interesting...
    Wednesday, June 6, 2007 9:10 AM
  • Hey Anoop, Good to see you Back, and All the best for your exams.

Hope they are going good.  As Varun said when people are back, they come back with more energy, the same has happened to me also. I have only been offline for 2 days, and i missed samvaad and you guys a lot. Me and Anoop have already taken a break, what about you , raghuram, adnan ? i think you guys are working in the forums, even during your exams. This is really nice man seeing your dedication for this contest, and especially for this forums which we all have together build.
    Wednesday, June 6, 2007 2:33 PM
  • I think its time to start Part-III  for this thread guys. What say you all ?
    Wednesday, June 6, 2007 2:34 PM
  • Yes, because travelling a thread which has more than 5 pages is a tough job.. so i think after crossing the 5 pages we should start the new part...
    Wednesday, June 6, 2007 3:10 PM
  • Thanks Varun for Agreeing.  Ill post a link to it when i start the Part-III of this thread Wink
    Wednesday, June 6, 2007 3:40 PM
  • Ok guys lets continue this thread over here

Guys Chat Here - Part-III
    Wednesday, June 6, 2007 3:45 PM