Permissions Error for temp and .Net directories: Recurring RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

Thanks in advance for your expertise. Here is my issue: Server 2003 SP2 \ SQL 2005 (Latest Spacks) \ CRM 4.0 Latest Update

Every day we lose the permissions on the C:\windows\temp folder and C:\windows\microsoft .net\framework\v2.0 Folders. Currently this is not a production envirement as we are in the customization stage.

We reset the permissions for each folder with Network Service, ASP Net account, IUSR, IWAM accordingly. Everything is then back up and running... for a short while. It could be 1 hour, or it could be 48 hours.. but then the permissions remove themselves again.When the permissions are striped the web interface throws up errors as expected.

We have removed the inherit permissions as well... and that did not help.

Anyone have any experience with this?

Thursday, April 15, 2010 6:58 PM

Answers

• Instead of correcting a mess like this and dealing with such weird behaviors which could be caused by some misconfiguration at early stage, I would rather simply recreate the environment, which would give me more confidence to work with the environment in long run. 

This is mostly about the operating system, the effort to correct it is simply not worth it, in my opinion. 

Hope this helps. 

Daniel Cai | http://danielcai.blogspot.com
    Friday, April 16, 2010 12:12 AM

All replies

• Instead of correcting a mess like this and dealing with such weird behaviors which could be caused by some misconfiguration at early stage, I would rather simply recreate the environment, which would give me more confidence to work with the environment in long run. 

This is mostly about the operating system, the effort to correct it is simply not worth it, in my opinion. 

Hope this helps. 

Daniel Cai | http://danielcai.blogspot.com
    Friday, April 16, 2010 12:12 AM
  • I agree, but this is a regular server, fresh install. The only thing on it are the pre-reqs for the CRM and the CRM itself. The permissions just keep resetting. I even tried removing .net \ reinstalling .net and then repairing the CRM. That fixes it.... but something is removing the permissions. It is an odd issue that I have not run into before.

Any attempt to fix eventually result in the permissions customized by .net being stripped from the 2.0 .net folders and the temp folders.

I can do a complete reinstall.... so if no one else has any ideas that is what I will do.

Friday, April 30, 2010 4:13 PM