Newbie questions RRS feed

• Question

• I hope it's ok to ask several questions in one post.  I have read through several threads in the backup forum and I don't think I found the answers to my questions.  If they are there I just didn't realize it..maybe it's too techy for me to understand.

That being said..please answer me in very basic language.  Think Sesame Street Smile

First I have to commend the tech support.  I had made a comment on the FAQ or something on one of the OneCare web pages, included my phone number..and low and behold I did get a phone call.  That really surprised me.

I'll mention the question that I asked about then.  I have Eudora email and I asked if the extensions .mbx and .toc are included in the backups.  He said no they aren't.  But since I spoke with him I realized there is a thing called "backup report details"  And I saw that .mbx and .toc are included in the report.  So does that mean it is backing up all my eudora email? 

I also noticed in the list of included extensions that someone had posted in another thread that .png was not listed.  But when I checked my back up report there was a .png file listed.  So is OneCare now including .png?

I guess I'm having a hard time figuring out which files are actually included.  I've read through the threads and I understand that OneCare isn't a recovery backup.  It's for backing up the basics and not programs. I was a bit disappointed in that because the ads never came out and explained it that way.  But I understand the reasoning by not backing up programs.  I'm willing to work with it this way.  It is quick and doesn't seem to bog down my computer.  I am going to start backing up every day because of that.  So..that part I really like.

I just don't know all the extensions that I've used and I won't know if they aren't included until I actually need something.  Oh..I just thought of another extension that is probably not being backed up.  My Paint Shop Pro .psp extenions hmmmmmm.  I just checked the "other files to restore" and psp is there..and I noticed .htm is there too.  So that means I can recover those documents?  It's still driving me nuts that something I think is really important may not be included in the backup.  I can't think of every single extension I've ever used.

I also noticed that there are 2 different file names for the same email file.  This is for Eudora, in.mbx.001 and in.mbx.002.  What does that mean?  Is that a second version?  But not all my mailboxes have .001 and .002 behind them and I know I've added mail to them since then.  How does that affect a restore?

I did read a thread about deleting previous restore versions..that was way over my head.  So I wasn't sure of the .001 .002 is a part of that. 

Ok, final question.  I know I did a full backup the first time I used OneCare.  And I know it's only backing up the files that were changed since then.  If I lost everything on my computer tomorrow and did a "restore all files" will it actually restore every single file even if it hasn't been changed?    I think that's what it is saying but I want to make sure.

Oh that reminds me.  One more question.  When I do my daily backup will OneCare save brand new files so tht they will also be included if I have to restore everything?

I'm sorry for such a wordy post.  I appreciate any help you can give me. 

Sunday, September 21, 2008 1:19 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hello Lightseeker, this Microsoft Knowledge Base article explains file types that are backed up by One Care - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943776/en-us  and this article explains how to find a specific file type in your backups - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/944171/en-us 

Sunday, September 21, 2008 2:26 PM
  • Thanks for the articles Jim.  I'm still not getting it.  It lists the files that are recognized by OneCare.  I don't see .mbx, .toc or .png or .psp in the list you provided, yet those files are still showing up in the "other files to restore".  If OneCare is backing them up, wouldn't they be restored? 

Ok..I do see this

Other files

This group includes all other file types that are not included in the list of excluded file types or in one of the other listed files types.

It sounds like OneCare backs up everything (except program files etc)..so why have a list of file types that are supported by OneCare?  It's just not sinking in with me. 

And why did it name some of the files with a number behind it? 
    in.mbx.001 and in.mbx.002.  How will that affect a restore?

Can you help me understand the process of doing a backup and restore?  I know which buttons to click and what to do..I just don't understand the process and what it actually does.  I did a full backup when I installed OneCare.  And I've done backups since then.  If I needed to do a restore tomorrow will OneCare restore every single file from the first back up including all the changes?  Does it backup new files?  I just need to know if I have to do something special to restore every single file and changes that I backed up the first time and make sure I can include my new files. 

If these issues have already been addressed on the message board please post the url and I'll check it out.  I did do several searches and went back several pages and couldn't find anything about this.  It's possible I missed it though.  I checked out the help page too but all I could find was directions on how to do a backup and not anything about what that includes.  But maybe I missed something there.  It's very possible. 
    Sunday, September 21, 2008 9:39 PM
  • I believe that the .001 and .002 additions mean that the file was split by the backup process. The restore will rejoin them automatically.

Restore files from a backup

If your computer goes through a hardware failure or if some of your files are deleted from your computer and you've backed up your files, you can restore the files to your computer from a previous backup. If you're using a hub PC, you can restore backup files from any computer in your OneCare circle. You can choose which files to restore and which backup to restore the files from.

To restore all files from a backup:

1. Open Windows Live OneCare.
    2. In the main OneCare window, in the Backup and Restore area, click Restore files.
    3. Click Restore files from a local backup.
    4. Click Express Restore.
    5. Click Restore files.
    6. Click Finish.

To select specific files to restore or to select a specific backup to restore from:

7. Open OneCare.
    8. In the main OneCare window, in the Backup and Restore area, click Restore files.
    9. Click Restore files from a local backup.
    10. Click Custom Restore.
    11. To restore files from the most recent backup of your computer, click Restore files from the current backup on this computer.

–or–

Restore files that were backed up from another computer.

1. Click Restore files from backup of another machine.
        2. Click the backup that you want to restore files from.

–or–

Restore files from an earlier backup.

1. Click Restore files from an earlier backup or a backup from another computer.
        2. Click the location of the backup device, and then click Next.
        3. Click the backup that you want to restore files from.
    12. To restore all files that are no longer on your computer, click Restore all missing files.

–or–

Restore specific types of files.

1. Click Restore files by file type.
        2. Next to the types of files that you want to restore, select the check boxes, and then click Next.
        3. Next to the files that you want to restore, select the check boxes, and then click Next.
        4. Decide whether you want to restore files that have the same name as files that are already stored on your computer, click the appropriate option, and then click Next.

–or–

Select the files that you want to restore.

1. Click Search for files to restore.
        2. In the search box, type all or part of the name of the file that you want to restore, and then click Next.
        3. Next to the files that you want to restore, select the check boxes, and then click Next.
        4. Decide whether you want to restore files that have the same name as files that are already stored on your computer, click the appropriate option, and then click Next.
    13. Click Restore files.
    14. Click Finish.

Note

If OneCare detects that there are no appropriate files to restore, you won't receive the Restore files option.

-steve

Wednesday, September 24, 2008 6:29 PM
  • Thanks Steve for explaining the 001 and 002.  Thanks for posting the backup directions too.  I appreciate your help.
    Thursday, September 25, 2008 1:07 AM