Hello Everybody RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi guys,

I have joined this forum to post my problem because I am my wits end. I am no Microsoft Server wizz but am an IT professional so have spent a lot of time trying to work out the cause.

Basically it’s this:

We are running Microsoft Server 2003 R2 and are experiencing very unusual behaviour from Excel files that are saved to the shared folders.

When using Microsoft Excel 2003 and saving files to a shared folder on the D: drive on server the files are "locking out".  They cannot be renamed or deleted. They can be opened by any user with Excel 2003 or 2007 but no one, even administrators, can delete them. When anyone attempts it the error message " cannot delete (or rename) <file>: It is being used by another person or program" comes up. Stranger still is that those with Excel 2003 can save over the files but those with 2007 and conversion pack cannot!

If the server is rebooted then the files can be deleted so I been analysing the processes but nothing is holding these files open (used windows resource tools).

I have checked and changed the permissions numerous times on the shares but the same thing happens. We also have an exchange server and SQL server running Server 2003 and none of them is having this issue when shared folders are set up on them with identical permissions. I have tested everything using multiple profiles and computers and the only consistency is the server, there are 2 drives on it and they both suffer the problem...

We have an environment where users now use either Office 2003 or 2007 so am not sure when the problem started, only that it became apparent when 2007 was introduced. I don't believe it is caused by office 2007 because Excel 2007 created files are unaffected by "lockouts"

I am positive the issue is on the server somewhere but need some help to identify it. Is anyone genius enough to help me tackle this issue?

If you need me to get more information then please ask.

Thanks in advance,

Tom

Friday, June 13, 2008 3:39 PM

All replies

• Did you ever find an answer for this I am having the exact same problem. It is driving me crazy

Thank you in advance

Dan

Thursday, August 28, 2008 4:47 AM
  •  

I've been getting this error after upgrading my Equal Logic SAN file server to SP2.  Just as described by the original poster there are no process accessing these files at the time of the error (analyzed through process explorer and log extrapolation). Additonally there are no open connections from the Open Files manager in Computer Management. This occurs on all types of files but was most notably discovered affecting .mdb and .xls files. 

What is the fix? Upgrade all XP clients to SP3? Downgrade my file server? I wish a MS mod would chime in becuase this error is untraceable at best.

Thursday, August 28, 2008 10:55 PM
  • Hi Guys,

I managed to resolve my issue so am posting the fix:

The issue was caused by McaFee Antivrus enterprise 8.0. Apparently it was not recompiling the scanned Excel files properly post scan. I had previously checked the AV but the files do not unlock when you disable it which threw me. They only unlock on a reboot. However after many tests I realised the issue stopped replicating after the McAfee AV was disabled.

So I went onto McAfee forums and found a Hotfix to patch the problem, which worked a treat. If you are running McAfee AV then I suggest you take a look. If you are not then maybe take a look at your AV anyway.

Hope this helps.

Tom R G

Thursday, January 29, 2009 10:43 AM