Off Topic: Lost driver RRS feed

• General discussion

• I have a fairly new computer (less than one year old) and it came set up with Vista.  Recently, I was using iTunes and tried to burn a CD only to receive an alert that the software was not found.  After several hours of reading/looking around (I am not an expert at fixing computers) I discovered a message in the device manager that said "Windows cannot download the device driver for this hardware.  The driver may be corrupted or missing (code 39)."  I tried using the update feature, but it said there was nothing to update.  Up until this incident there has been no problem with using the CD rom.  I can't find any answers through Microsoft.  They don't really discuss repairing drivers, only updating.  I read one thread in the Vista community and there was a website posted that suggested a possible fix, but the link was not functioning.

I don't know what to do next to try and fix this problem.

Please help.

Valerie
    Saturday, January 26, 2008 4:47 PM

All replies

• I have a fairly new computer (less than one year old) and it came set up with Vista.  Recently, I was using iTunes and tried to burn a CD only to receive an alert that the software was not found.  After several hours of reading/looking around (I am not an expert at fixing computers) I discovered a message in the device manager that said "Windows cannot download the device driver for this hardware.  The driver may be corrupted or missing (code 39)."  I tried using the update feature, but it said there was nothing to update.  Up until this incident there has been no problem with using the CD rom.  I can't find any answers through Microsoft.  They don't really discuss repairing drivers, only updating.  I read one thread in the Vista community and there was a website posted that suggested a possible fix, but the link was not functioning.

I don't know what to do next to try and fix this problem.

Please help.

Valerie
    Saturday, January 26, 2008 4:46 PM
  • Sorry to say, unless you are having a problem with Live OneCare, this should not be here and needs to be taken elsewhere.

Saturday, January 26, 2008 5:52 PM
  • HI Valerie

Sorry but if you are not having problems with Windows Live OneCare then you are off topic, this forum is dedicated to Windows Live OneCare, you can look for help and an answer here http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/list/en-us/default.aspx I have moved your post to the off topic forum and will be marking it so.

chuck

Saturday, January 26, 2008 7:54 PM