none
Fix forum searching! RRS feed

• Question

• Please fix the forum searching functions so that searching within a particular forum actually works.

The default for the search box on this page is "Search Bug Reporting for Forum...". If you type some search term in there like say "DVD" you'll end up on a search page with this for the search terms:

dvd site:social.microsoft.com/forums

and the results are obviously for all forums, not just this forum. None of the other options in the drop down box seem to act any differently -- they all do searches of all forums. I tried this on both IE7 and Firefox 3 and both acted the same way so it's not a browser specific issue.

You really need to fix this. With the wide range of forums here not have a forum specific search is a huge pain and severely limits the usefulness of the forums. It's almost impossible to research existing problems on the forums the way it is.
    SBussinger
    Monday, February 23, 2009 9:38 PM

Answers

• We have addressed this problem in our February release. Give it a try and let me know if things are working the way you expect now.

Thanks,

George Bullock
    MSDN/TechNet/Expression/Answers Search PM
    George Bullock Senior Program Manager MSDN/TechNet/Expression Search
    • Proposed as answer by gbullock Friday, March 20, 2009 6:31 PM
    • Marked as answer by sbussinger Monday, March 23, 2009 5:37 AM
    Thursday, March 19, 2009 8:31 PM

All replies

• Can you give me a couple of forum urls you are searching from?  This may be a known limitation in how search is implemented.
    Brent Serbus STO Forums Program Manager
    Tuesday, February 24, 2009 4:54 AM
    Answerer
  • How about this forum for instance? Go ahead, try it right now using the box to the right of the thread title. The forum that first irritated me was the Live Mesh forum http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/LiveMesh/threads/. But I tried several random forums and they're all broken as far as I can tell.

Search for anything. I used "DVD" only because I saw it in a thread title on this forum's home page. Not one of the results returned was in this forum. A "known limitation in how search is implemented"? Uh-huh. How about it's just broken?

SBussinger
    Tuesday, February 24, 2009 6:48 AM
  • I agree sbussinger. Forum search s****s. Need it to be specific to the forum being used.
    Michael Pettet MCP#6619485
    Wednesday, February 25, 2009 12:52 AM
  • I understand and agree, searching a single forum is important, I will ensure these are logged and will look into fixing these as soon as we can. In the mean time, it is possible to use the live search interface to submit search queries by including a meta:Search.MSForums attributes/values. If you go to www.live.com and put this into the search box...

DVD site:social.microsoft.com/forums meta:Search.MSForums.GroupName(livemesh)

...you can get live search results for the single forum. I realize this is not a friendly way to get search results from a forum, but I wanted to at least offer this until we can get a fix out. Thanks for reporting this and will report back when we have a schedule for providing a fix for this.

Wednesday, February 25, 2009 4:57 AM
    Answerer
  • Wednesday, February 25, 2009 11:15 AM
  • I just tried that to search this forum with this string:

DVD site:social.microsoft.com/forums meta:Search.MSForums.GroupName(reportabug)

and got no hits. What's it looking for in the GroupName? I used the name from this page's URL but perhaps it's some other magic name we'd have to use?

In any case, the search stuff is just plain broken.
    SBussinger
    Wednesday, February 25, 2009 4:40 PM
  • Use Google to search MSFT sites with the site: selector.

site:social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/reportabug dvd

Hans Passant.
    Thursday, February 26, 2009 11:14 AM
  • sbussinger said:

I just tried that to search this forum with this string:

DVD site:social.microsoft.com/forums meta:Search.MSForums.GroupName(reportabug)

and got no hits. What's it looking for in the GroupName? I used the name from this page's URL but perhaps it's some other magic name we'd have to use?

That's really strange, it brought back results a few days ago. We are working on the problem where we are not scoping to the forum when searching from the forum, we should have a fix available in the next couple of weeks.
    Friday, February 27, 2009 4:42 PM
    Answerer
  • I'm also experiencing this problem in IE7/firefox/chrome, I've been using the google site selector method but it would be nice if it could be fixed.

Thanks!
    Monday, March 2, 2009 2:41 AM
  • We have addressed this problem in our February release. Give it a try and let me know if things are working the way you expect now.

Thanks,

George Bullock
    • Proposed as answer by gbullock Friday, March 20, 2009 6:31 PM
    • Marked as answer by sbussinger Monday, March 23, 2009 5:37 AM
    Thursday, March 19, 2009 8:31 PM
  • Thank you very much for addressing this -- it was terribly annoying!
    SBussinger
    Monday, March 23, 2009 5:36 AM

Thanks,

George Bullock
    "Search for Migrated Forums:  Forums recently migrated from their previous home (forums.microsoft.com) will take some time to get reindexed by the search engine.  Results will continue to improve."

Search is still not working  in the dynamics crm forums, you can cut and past any topic from the list in to the search and it will not find it! It has now been several months since you migrated these forums, should it not be indexed by now ?
    Monday, April 6, 2009 9:34 AM
  • hello anyone listening?

you still can't search in the crm forums, it brings up results from anyware other than that forum!
    Wednesday, May 6, 2009 8:17 AM
  • What is the point of these forums if no one replies? 

I can't believe that microsoft can't get a simple search working!!!!!! its only been 4 months now!

Thursday, May 28, 2009 3:58 PM
  • Hi,

I've reported a bug on this and we'll investigate.

Thanks
    STO Forums Test Lead
    Friday, May 29, 2009 10:13 PM
  • Thank you Don, is it not worth updating the announcement at the top of this forum? to reflect current known issues with search as it hasn't been updated since december 13th last year and makes it sound as if all search issues should have been solved by now.

where the problem seems to be similar in that forum.

Tuesday, June 2, 2009 9:45 AM
  • Thanks for the feedback and yes, I'll work with our team on this.

Regarding the search issue, can you also reply back in the thread that I previously replied to with answers to the same questions I've asked?

I'd like to see if there's any pattern regarding these search issues.

Thanks.

STO Forums Test Lead
    Tuesday, June 2, 2009 3:17 PM