RBS populate or filled out automatically...for Project Server 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi guys,

I need to create and add more than 200 records in the RBS  look up table...

I don't want to do it manually...

Is there any way to import that information or to populate it (via code or any project tool)??

Thank you in advance for your responses.

Pedrof.-

Pedrof.-
    Wednesday, March 9, 2011 3:09 PM

Answers

• Please do not query the Published database since it's not supported (use the Reporting DB and PSI calls instead) 
    Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Project Server TechCenter | Project Developer Center | Project Server Help | Project Product Page
    Wednesday, March 23, 2011 3:43 PM
  • In theory, you can copy and paste from Excel.  You might have to go back
    and add the indentations though.

Andrew Lavinsky [MVP] Twitter: @alavinsky
    Wednesday, March 9, 2011 3:15 PM
  • I'd be curious what others may suggest.  My first thought would be to take
    a look at the Playbooks tool.  It basically allows you to export/import your
    settings into an XML document.  You might be able to reverse engineer it
    or piggy back some functionality on it to move the RBS data back and forth.

I am a little concerned about what you're trying to do though.  The RBS almost
    never matches a straight organizational structure.  Usually, it's a much
    simplified version of the OBS used to drive security.  I don't see why you
    would pull the data from AD.

Wednesday, March 9, 2011 3:37 PM

All replies

• In theory, you can copy and paste from Excel.  You might have to go back
    and add the indentations though.

Wednesday, March 9, 2011 3:15 PM
  • Thank you Andrew! :-)

One more thing,...I would like to do it automatically (via Dev) in order to be updated every time the RBS was changed...is there any way how could I do it via dev?

Regarding your suggestion, is very cool...but I would like to know if there is anything to automate this process getting the RBS from the AD or...other location.

Best regards,

Pedrof.-

Pedrof.-
    Wednesday, March 9, 2011 3:27 PM
  • I'd be curious what others may suggest.  My first thought would be to take
    a look at the Playbooks tool.  It basically allows you to export/import your
    settings into an XML document.  You might be able to reverse engineer it
    or piggy back some functionality on it to move the RBS data back and forth.

I am a little concerned about what you're trying to do though.  The RBS almost
    never matches a straight organizational structure.  Usually, it's a much
    simplified version of the OBS used to drive security.  I don't see why you
    would pull the data from AD.

Wednesday, March 9, 2011 3:37 PM
  • Thank you Andrew!

Pedrof.-
    Wednesday, March 9, 2011 3:47 PM
  • Hi Andrew,

One more question please...;-)

Do you know where are the EDR (custom fields) stored in the SQL tables?

Thank you guy

REgards,

Pedrof.-

Pedrof.-
    Friday, March 11, 2011 8:25 AM
  • I ve got the response playing with the sql tables from the published database:

By the GUID value of the RBS:

[dbo].[MSP_LOOKUP_TABLE_STRUCTURES].[LT_STRUCT_UID]  
    [dbo].[MSP_LOOKUP_TABLE_VALUES].[LT_STRUCT_UID]

Looking for the text value from the RBS:

[dbo].[MSP_LOOKUP_TABLE_VALUES].[LT_VALUE_FULL] 

[dbo].[MSP_LOOKUP_TABLE_VALUES].[LT_VALUE_TEXT]

dbo].[MSP_LOOKUP_TABLE_STRUCTURES].[LT_PARENT_STRUCT_UID]  

ColumnName
    [dbo].[MSP_LOOKUP_TABLE_STRUCTURES].[LT_STRUCT_UID]
    ColumnName
    [dbo].[MSP_LOOKUP_TABLE_VALUES].[LT_STRUCT_UID]

Thanks and have a great day.

Pedrof.-

Pedrof.-
    Friday, March 11, 2011 10:56 AM
  • Please do not query the Published database since it's not supported (use the Reporting DB and PSI calls instead) 
    Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Project Server TechCenter | Project Developer Center | Project Server Help | Project Product Page
    Wednesday, March 23, 2011 3:43 PM
  • Hi Christophe!

Yes, I know that is not supported...:-( but I need to know if there is any way to modify RBS information (custom field and lookup tables) and modify this information from the MSP_Resoure in order to be changed this information every time that the RBS (organization structure) change...

Our customer doesn't want to do it manually every time because they have more than 400 users, for this proposal they need to know how could be done via dev...

Could you provide any supported example about this feature? It could be great in order to have a supported solution instead to attack directly to the published database.

Thank you guy!!! and have a great day.

Pedrof.-

Pedrof.-
    Thursday, March 24, 2011 9:02 AM
  • i have a similar issue.. i can't retrieve a resource's RBS value programmatically.  there's virtual no info about it anywhere, all it says is to use the API... can someone provide the actual sample code??
    Thursday, April 7, 2011 11:01 AM
  • Yes, it would be wonderful because we cannot maintain this process manually...

Pedrof.-
    Friday, April 8, 2011 9:10 AM
  • Leverage the PSI to retrieve the Lookup table values for the RBS and then use the resource PSI to make appropriate updates.
    Monday, April 11, 2011 8:10 PM
  • There is a recent blog post that has a related example: Reading Enterprise RBS values: the Easy Way and the Not-So-Easy Way

You could adapt the Visual Studio solution as a starting point.

Jim Corbin [MSFT]
    • Proposed as answer by Jim Corbin Monday, April 11, 2011 11:40 PM
    Monday, April 11, 2011 11:40 PM
  • Hi Jim,

First of all, thank you for this response.

As I can see in the article, this main proposal is to access to the Reporting database in order to get all the RBS information but I need to know if we can do (via PSI or SQL Script)...all that I need is to know how can I modify this values directly in the Project Database schema (Published DB) in order to maintain futures changes for every user when changes the RBS value in the future...

In this example, I can see that is going directly to the ProjectServer_Reporting:

FROM [ProjectServer_Reporting].[dbo].[MSP_EpmResource_UserView] AS res

My question is to know if we can do the same for the Published database is order to do a maintenance of the RBS information and wich could be the best supported way :-)

Thank you again for your time and responses and have a great day

Pedro Fraile.-

Pedrof.-
    Tuesday, April 12, 2011 7:02 AM
  • Direct modifications to the Published database are not supported. The PSI is used to modify the RBS. See the LookpTable methods in the SDK for more information.
    Jim Corbin [MSFT]
    Tuesday, April 12, 2011 1:50 PM
  • Hi Jim,

Thank you for your answer...also, I don't want to bore you :-(

- I know that direct modifications to the Published database are not supported.

At this point I need to clarify:

1.- Do you know if using PSI methods we can modify all the entire RBS structure???

2.- All the modified data via PSI in the ProjectServer_Reporting is populated to the other Project Server databases?

In order to modify RBS and to be able to automate the whole process.

Thank you very much for your patience and responsses Jim.

Regards,

Pedrof.-

Pedrof.-
    Tuesday, April 12, 2011 4:24 PM
  • 1. Yes. PWA itself uses the same LookupTable PSI methods when you manually modify lookup tables such as RBS.

2. Yes. Try modifying the RBS lookup table manually, in PWA, to see what happens. For example, check whether it is modified for users and in the Reporting db.

Note that there is an OnUpdating event handler in the LookupTableEventReceiver, so you can use that to do any other custom things you may require -- for example, changing a user to a new RBS entry. E.g., if you add three RBS entries, PWA doesn't know that you want to change John and Maria to use the second new entry, but you don't want to use the new entries for Willie or Rebecca.

Jim Corbin [MSFT]
    Tuesday, April 12, 2011 5:29 PM