Which file do I download; older version uninstall? RRS feed

• Question

• Since I know I don't have a 64-bit system, I guess I don't download SyncToySetupPackage_v21_x64.exe, but since 86 is higher than 64, I'm not confident I should download SyncToySetupPackage_v21_x86.exe (sure would be nice if the download page actually *said* which is for whom).

ALSO I have had an older version installed on this system, but haven't used it in ages, because it wouldn't reliably synch to an external hard drive. The download page says "If upgrading from an earlier version of SyncToy (e.g. SyncToy 1.4 or SyncToy 2.0), it is **CRITICAL** to ensure that all folder pairs are fully synchronized using the previous version before running SyncToy 2.1 setup ..." -- would it work to run a normal uninstall of the older version, or would that still leave scraps lying around that might corrupt a new setup? If uninstalling should work, are there any special steps I need to take to get it right?

Thanks!
    Wednesday, December 16, 2009 1:25 PM

Answers

• Hi tm1dowling,

SyncToy for x86 is right the one for a pure 32-bit Windows. “86” here in “x86” is not for bit width but came from the name of a 32-bit Intel CPU serial. In fact, “x64” is short for “x86-64”, which means “x64” is just an 64-bit extension from 32-bit x86, aka IA32. So “x86” is for 32-bit systems, especially the ones do not support 64-bit extension. x86 is not higher than x64. (The “Intel CPU” here is not for Intel CPU only but also for CPUs that are compatible with 32-bit Intel CPU, e.g. CPUs from AMD, Crysis, VIA, etc. ) For details, please refer to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X86 .

About old version uninstalling, it should work all right if you uninstalled your previous SyncToy before installing the new version. But please notice that SyncToy2.1 will try its best to reuse the folder pair list and even the metadata from previous installed SyncToy. So you may need to delete all folder pairs before unstalling the old version if you prefer a “clean” SyncToy2.1. (Or, if you prefer reusing the existed folder pairs created by old version, you had better sync all folder pairs before uninstalling or upgrading. )

Thanks

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    • Marked as answer by tm1dowling Thursday, December 17, 2009 1:55 PM
    Thursday, December 17, 2009 7:29 AM