Can I purchase WHS software ? RRS feed

• Question

• I'd like to know if I can purchase the WHS software alone (preferably on disk), or do I have to buy one of the pre-built servers with it pre-installed ?  I ask this because I want a home server/ media server and think this is the software for me.  However, I can't seem to find any of the pre-built servers that have the features that I want, so I was seriously considering putting a new MoBo and processor in an old case I have, and building my own server.  I just need to know, if I can buy JUST the software to make it run.  Also, is there any hardware that I need to stay away from when building the system?

Thx.
    Friday, March 5, 2010 10:56 PM

All replies

• I'd like to know if I can purchase the WHS software alone (preferably on disk), or do I have to buy one of the pre-built servers with it pre-installed ?

Yes, you can purchase a System Builder (OEM) license from various online stores.  You can also download a 30-day trial if you want to try before you buy.

I ask this because I want a home server/ media server and think this is the software for me.  However, I can't seem to find any of the pre-built servers that have the features that I want

It sounds like you want to install your own apps on the server.  FYI, installing any applications on the server is unsupported (since logging into the server desktop is unsupported).  The only supported way to install anything on WHS is through add-ins (which happens through the Console).

so I was seriously considering putting a new MoBo and processor in an old case I have, and building my own server.  I just need to know, if I can buy JUST the software to make it run.  Also, is there any hardware that I need to stay away from when building the system?

Thx.
    Ideally, you want hardware/drivers that will run Server 2003 (the underlying OS).
    Friday, March 5, 2010 11:04 PM