Install and missing services RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi everyone,

I'm hoping that someone might be able to help me. I'm currently installing the eval version of OCS2007 and I came across a couple of errors in the validation steps. So I thought that I'd re-install it step by step again just in case I missed something, I'm using the MS Virtual Labs as a prompter.

In the labs it mentions that a couple of services need to be started in order for IM to start working:

• Microsoft Exchange Unified Messaging
    • Microsoft Exchange Transport Log Search
    • Microsoft Exchange System Attendant
    • Microsoft Exchange Engine Service
    • Microsoft Exchange Service Host
    • Microsoft Exchange Search Index
    • Microsoft Exchange Replication Service
    • Microsoft Exchange Mailbox Assistant
    • Microsoft Exchange Mail submission
    • Microsoft Exchange Information Store
    • Microsoft Exchange File Distribution
    • Microsoft Exchange Edge Sync
    • Microsoft Exchange Anti-Spam Update
    • Microsoft Exchange Active Directory Topology Service

I'm doing the install into a test VM server; I assume that this means that OCS needs to be installed onto the Exchange server? However, if I look at the services running on the Exchange server there are quite a few "missing" -- for example, the Unified Messaging. Is this an addon to Exchange or apart of the OCS install?

Currently if I try and sign into Office Communicator an error message comes back saying: "Cannot sign in because the server is temporarily unavailable" -- this would because I'm "missing" some services?

I didn't think there would be so much involved in getting this up and running ... and assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Regards ... Andrew

Wednesday, August 20, 2008 7:06 AM

Answers

All replies

• None of the Exchange Services need to be started for OCS to work.  If you have integrated Exchange UM with OCS then, obviously Exchange would be required.  Exchange and OCS should not be installed on the same virtual machine in a lab and in production, the OCS roles should reside on separate physical servers.

What validation errors are you getting?

Wednesday, August 20, 2008 7:27 AM
  • I agree

Don't really understand why Microsoft would do this in a lab example

Just don't do this ever in production

Wednesday, August 20, 2008 9:13 PM
  • Hi Steven,

Thanks for getting back to me ... I'm installing OCS2007 so that our company can use Live Meeting (I'm not wanting to setup IM or the VoIP options). When doing the validation checks everything passes except for the Front End Server, the inital error is:

Failure
    [0xC3FC200D] One or more errors were detected

If I drill down the errors are occuring under the "Check user logon" area, below are some example of the errors that I'm getting. This isappearing under "Attempting to login user using Kerberos" and "Attempting to login user using NTLM"

Maximum hops: 2
    Successfully established security association with the server: User 9ajc Domain ha Protocol Kerberos Target sip/ha_geel_ocs.harwoodandrews.local
    Failed to register user: User sip:acaple@harwoodandrews.com.au @ Server ha_geel_ocs.harwoodandrews.local
    Failed registration response: [
    SIP/2.0 404 Not Found
    FROM: <sip:acaple@harwoodandrews.com.au>;epid=epid00;tag=41a53df2c
    TO: <sip:acaple@harwoodandrews.com.au>;tag=245976C865405FAD3B6AC0620816F3ED
    CSEQ: 2 REGISTER
    CALL-ID: 5c50e776166b420ea60444b5599cbf36
    VIA: SIP/2.0/TLS 192.168.252.XX:2131;branch=z9hG4bK27f7ee73;ms-received-port=2131;ms-received-cid=800
    CONTENT-LENGTH: 0
    AUTHENTICATION-INFO: Kerberos rspauth="602306092A864886F71201020201011100FFFFFFFF746C784A235E92DD19773AB8A1BA70E4", srand="2535E064", snum="1", opaque="8842BF6A", qop="auth", targetname="sip/ha_geel_ocs.harwoodandrews.local", realm="SIP Communications Service"
    ms-diagnostics: 4005;reason="Destination URI either not enabled for SIP or does not exist";source="ha_geel_ocs.harwoodandrews.local"

]

When I look in the setup of the communications server I can see that my user name has a SIP URI - I'm just not sure what's happening. Please let me know if you need any further information?

Thanks again for your help.

Regards ... Andrew

Thursday, August 21, 2008 12:25 AM
  • Hi everyone,

I just thought that I'd post to let you know that I've fixed the issues that I was having. In the end it was related to a missing DNS entry and I there was an issue with the CA - which I exported again and imported manually.

To anyone else having issues .. I needed to add a DNS entry, please see the following link:  http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/office/livecomm/library/deployse/lcsdse_8.mspx

Thanks for your help!!

Cheers ... Andrew

Tuesday, August 26, 2008 1:17 AM