OCS 2007 & Windows Server 2008 Domain RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hello,

I'm trying to install OCS 2007 on my network. OCS 2007 will be installed on Windows Server 2003 R2 SP2 and my domain controllers are Windows Server 2008 Enterprise x64. I know that its not possible to install OCS 2007 on Win2k8 but in my case it is Win2k3 so it should install.

I did try to install it on my Win2k3 server, wanted to run AD prep, it says that the mydomain.local is not found or reacheble or something like that.

Can I install OCS 2007 with Win2k8 AD ?

Thursday, February 21, 2008 3:08 PM

All replies

• I'm in the process of installing a ocs server on a domain with w2k8 too for a test-environment. I didn't have any problem on the "prepare AD step" but my domain have another dc that run 2k3 sp1. Have you only one domain controller ? If no, I'd suggest to check which of them have the FMSO role (you can do that with the Schema snap-in) and check if that server is accessible from your future-ocs-server.

Friday, February 22, 2008 2:11 PM
  • It is possible to run OCS with 2008 servers, I have it running currently on RTM 2008 in 2008 native mode.  It will also run on RC0 and RC1. 

I would also say as the above poster replied and check your FSMO roles. 
    Friday, February 22, 2008 4:31 PM
  •  

I have 2 DC running on Windows Server 2008 Enterprise x64 and on 2003 compatible mode. I'm trying to install on my third server wich is running win2k3 the OCS 2007. The AD prep fails with error can't find domain.local. (domain is my local domain in this example)

Friday, February 22, 2008 9:37 PM
  • It is great to know that it is possible. However, a little more information on how it can be accomplished will be much appreciated. I, for example, get the following error message immediately after starting the installation:

"Standard Edition server can be installed only on the following operating systems: Windows Server 2003 with SP1 and any later service packs, Windows Server 2003 R2"

(Enterprise Edition generates similar error message)

THANKS!

Saturday, February 23, 2008 12:01 AM
  • I'm sorry, my post above wasn't very clear.  I meant to convey that i was running OCS 2007 with Windows 2008 Domain controllers, not as the server OS.  My OCS servers are all running Windows 2003 R2 Sp2.  My apologies for the confusion.

Monday, February 25, 2008 12:39 PM
  • Hello,

I tried this myself in an testenvironment.

- Domain Controller with W2k8

- Exchange server with W2k3 SP2

- OCS server with W2k3 SP2

When you have an domain with a domain controller (w2k3) you can install OCS2007 into the domain.

In my case, I just had an DC with 2k8. During installation of OCS2007 I encountered a problem with the service account. I couldn't create one and couldn't choose an excisting account.

When I searched for compatilibity I found this article (kb948680):

- http://support.microsoft.com/kb/948680

It cleary states that you CANNOT use OCS2007 with Server 2k8.

Tuesday, March 4, 2008 3:28 PM
  •  

Rick,

First I'm seeing that article, all I can tell you is that I've been running OCS 2007 since Sept/Oct with Windows 2008 domain controllers in Native mode.  We have not had windows 2003 domain controllers for at least 6 months.

-Joe

Wednesday, March 5, 2008 2:49 PM

• Hi Joe,

I'm getting very confused.
    I've been trying for about 1,5 weeks to get a test environment running, but I can't seem to get it done.

I had the domain running:

- dc with server 2008
    - server with exchange 2007
    - server with ocs 2007
    - 2 clients with xp sp2, office 2007 and communicator 2007.

I can log on with communicator, but can't synchronise the address book.
    Also I couldn't get the certificates to work.

Then I found this document and thought I had it wrong...

Maybe you can help me with some documentation of some kind?
    My e-mail: rickhorio@hotmail.com

Thanks in advance!
    Wednesday, March 5, 2008 7:47 PM
  • Rick, email sent.

Thursday, March 6, 2008 12:33 PM
  • Hi Josef,

Can you send similar email to : mike.pipily@hotmail.com  :-)

Let's keep this thread active , and post all info related to OCS 2007 and Windows 2008 Domain !

Thanks,

Mike.

Thursday, April 10, 2008 8:08 AM
  • This is not supported by Microsoft for sure. If I am not wron we can expect a kb soon once testing at MS side is done.
    Though we do have some workaround to acheive this but its not suggested untill and unless it is highly required.

R. Kinker
    MCSE 2003 - Messaging, MCTS- (LCS 2005 & OCS 2007)
    http://www.OCSPedia.com
    http://www.ITCentrics.com
    Thursday, April 10, 2008 2:06 PM
  •  

Hi Josef

Can you please send me a mail as well to shahanbest@hotmail.com.

Also I think the above Article says the application which is not supported by windows 2008, not on a windows 2008 domain averment.

I managed to install OCS 2007 (without and errors) on win2k3 SP 1 server & both DC, ADC are running on win2k8, but I have the following problem,

1.       On the OCS console there are no users under “Unassigned Users”.

2.        On   win2k8 DC under “Active directory user & computers”   the option “enable user for communication server” was not there when right click on a selected user.

3.       But when I go through the win2k3 server “Active directory user & computers”   the above option is (enable user for communication server) available, and was able to activate a user for OCS 2007, and was able to login using communicator 2007.

4.       But still on the communicator it gives the yellow mark saying “cannot synchronize address book information.

This is where I stand now, any advice will be a great help..!

Monday, May 26, 2008 1:36 PM
  • Tuesday, May 27, 2008 1:28 PM