The dashboard is empty, how the restored? - Le dashboard est vide, comment le restauré? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

After installing the server, I was wrong in the NAME. I did some testing for the change and I finally crash the machine.

In fact, the server works but the dashboard is empty (user, hdd etc. ...). Of course I had not taken the time to make a backup!

Someone should have an idea on how to restore the dashboard or start the first Setup screen at first boot? or else!

Thank you in advance!

Bonjour,

Suite l'installation du serveur, je m'étais tromper dans le NOM. J'ai fait quelque teste pour le changer et j'ai fini par "planter" la machine.

En fait, le server marche mais le dashboard est vide (plus d'user, hhd etc...). Bien entendu je n'avais pas pris le temps de faire un backup!

Quelqu'un aurais une idée sur comment restaurer le dashboard ou lancer le 1er écran de configuration au 1er démarrage ? ou autre chose!

Merci d'avance!

Friday, April 30, 2010 6:53 AM

Answers

• Before this issue gets resolved (be restarting services, reinstall or other method), can you please open a bug through connect. Please attach the server logs, screenshot, and to the best of your knowledge what you did before you got to this state.

thanks

-Bodhi

Bodhi Deb - MSFT
    Saturday, May 1, 2010 7:15 AM

All replies

• I assume you made various changes from the server desktop, so most likely one or more of those changes caused your issue. Do you remember what the changes were? You mention the NAME; you should be aware that Microsoft has disabled the interfaces that normally allow you to change the computer name, workgroup, etc. because changing the workgroup is known to cause issues. There's another thread in this forum about that...

In the end, though, probably you'll get farther, faster, with a clean install and (afterward) a methodical approach: Get it running with no changes, then change one thing at a time, making notes along the way. You may still reduce your server to it's current state, but you'll probably know how you got there. :)

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, April 30, 2010 11:27 AM
  • Indeed, it would be much easier to do a fresh install. I wanted to do but the problem is that my primary is 500GB, 60GB for the system and the rest in data. With 3 other 1TB HDD of each in data. At the beginning of the new install, when choosing the primary format I'm afraid of losing the rest of my 500GB of data from primary ...

Effectivement, il serais beaucoup plus simple de faire une nouvelle installation. J'ai voulue le faire mais le problème est que mon primary fait 500go, 60go pour le system et le reste en data. Avec 3autres hdd d'1To chacun en data. Au début de la nouvelle install, lors du choix de formatage de la primary j'ai peur de perdre le reste des data du 500go de mon primary...

Friday, April 30, 2010 11:35 AM
  • There's a warning at the top of this forum that the Vail beta isn't supported in a production environment. Hopefully you have committed nothing irreplaceable to your server.

Unfortunately, re-installation on your current hardware will wipe the system drive. Do you have duplication turned on for everything? If so, your data is safe. You can install on the system drive, then the large data drive should appear as non-default storage. Remove the system drive from the storage pool and you can promote the non-default storage to primary storage. Then you'll have your data back.

Friday, April 30, 2010 11:46 AM
  • <!-- @page { size: 21cm 29.7cm; margin: 2cm } P { margin-bottom: 0.21cm } -->

Thank you for responding so fast!

Here is my schematic disk:

Primary 500GB -> 60GB system and the data remains
    1TB Secondary Data
    1TB Secondary Data
    1TB Secondary Data

At the new facility, he told me that I will lose the data of the Primary HDD.
    If I continue, I'll keep the good part of the primary data?
    I think that just were not duplicate but I am not sure. And for that I no longer see anything in the dashboard, how do you know?

Thank you for everything!

Merci de répondre aussi vite!

Voici mon shéma de disque :

Primary 500Go -> 60Go system et le reste en data
    Secondary 1To Data
    Secondary 1To Data
    Secondary 1To Data

A la nouvelle installation, il me dit que je vais perdre les données du Primary hdd.
    Si je continue, je vais bien garder la partie data du primary ?
    Je pense que tout à étais dupliquer mais je ne suis pas sur. Et vue que je ne voie plus rien dans le dashboard, comment le savoir?

Merci pour tout!

Friday, April 30, 2010 11:58 AM
  • If the dashboard is no longer working, I think you will have to reinstall. Unless you remember exactly what you changed, and can undo those changes, in which case the dashboard might start working again. But I make no promises.

Hopefully, you had duplication turned on for all your shares, in which case you certainly shouldn't lose any data as a result. Remember, this is a beta product, made available for us to test. Microsoft doesn't support the use of it in a production environment (the EULA you agree to in setup even says that you may not use it in production) precisely because there are potential problems which may result in data loss.

Friday, April 30, 2010 1:06 PM
  • Not sure what you changed from the post above, but when Dashboard shows up empty on all the tabs, one or more core services which these tabs depend on might not be starting. I would check services.msc and make sure that all services are running. If some are not, the event viewer might have errors as to why.
    Windows Home Server Team
    Saturday, May 1, 2010 6:49 AM
  • Before this issue gets resolved (be restarting services, reinstall or other method), can you please open a bug through connect. Please attach the server logs, screenshot, and to the best of your knowledge what you did before you got to this state.

thanks

-Bodhi

Bodhi Deb - MSFT
    Saturday, May 1, 2010 7:15 AM
  • Hello

Thank you for your help, I actually just reinstall, taking care to retrieve my 500GB and redo any subsequent transfers.

Now everything works almost .. See my other post.
    Thank you again.

Bonjour,

Merci pour votre aide, j'ai en fait tout réinstaller en prenant soin d'extraire mon 500Go et de refaire par la suite tout les transferts.

Maintenant tout marche ou presque.. Voir mon autre post.
    Merci encore.

Monday, May 3, 2010 12:00 PM