PP 1 Install but Connector install issues on XP Home system RRS feed

• Question

• PP1 install went fine on server and other Vista Ultimate system in the network. When installing connector update on the XP Home system. Asked to uninstall first and then reinstall. Reinstall seemed to proceeed okay until error message that install could not find the WHS server.

Deleted the install file and went to WHS Server on Network in software folder to setup from there but same error message.

What am I doing wrong or is this an XP Home issue?

Thanks in advance for any guidance anyone can provide.

Philip

(Sweating a ton in Austin... 105 yesterday)

Tuesday, July 29, 2008 1:04 PM

All replies

• It isn't an XP issue, or the forum would be flooded with comments!

Have you tried opening Internet explorer and going to http://server:55000/ (replace server name as appropriate), which will give you a page with the latest version of the Connector software etc.

Colin

Tuesday, July 29, 2008 3:28 PM
  •  Philipaustex wrote:

PP1 install went fine on server and other Vista Ultimate system in the network. When installing connector update on the XP Home system. Asked to uninstall first and then reinstall. Reinstall seemed to proceeed okay until error message that install could not find the WHS server.

Deleted the install file and went to WHS Server on Network in software folder to setup from there but same error message.

What am I doing wrong or is this an XP Home issue?

Thanks in advance for any guidance anyone can provide.

Philip

(Sweating a ton in Austin... 105 yesterday)

Hi Philip,

If you have not already submitted a bug for this on Connect, can you do so? In addition, would it be possible for you to submit the CABs for both the server and the client (XP) as this will help us troubleshoot this issue?

Thank you

Lara Jones [MS]

Wednesday, July 30, 2008 2:52 PM
  • Thanks for the feedback. In the meantime a virus or malware attack has crippled that system, time warner has very politely turned off my cable modem and will not turn it back on (so far). Once I get the system back up I will try again, maybe it was the virus/malware causing the issue.

Philip

Thursday, July 31, 2008 6:01 PM
  • If you had prior successful backups of that system the best thing to do would be to pave it over, ideally using the manufacturer's restore disks or a fresh install of the operating system on a formatted drive, reinstall applications, then restore data only from your most recent backup.
    Friday, August 1, 2008 1:01 AM
  • I installed the beta and did not have this issue of XP PC's not being able to install the connector software, only once I installed PP1. Not sure if it is an XP issue or the fact that my Vista box is the primary PC on the network. Regardless, I am having this same issue of having only 1 PC that will work with the connector software, a Vista PC. I will try best best to report the bug ASAP. One thing, I tried the server:55000 page and it would not display but yet I can CAN access the shared folders still. I also tried having a shared folder open during the install of connector, this did not help.

Friday, August 1, 2008 2:13 AM
  • Tarner, could you please start a separate thread in the Software section of the forums? I'd rather not mix up two probably unrelated issues.
    Friday, August 1, 2008 4:52 PM
  • I finally found the solution for me, modified the hosts file to resolve servers router IP to the server name. Using nslookup I discovered server name was resolving to an internet IP that was not mine. Maybe this will help some folks. Everything works great now.

Friday, August 1, 2008 10:57 PM
  • I had the same issue as well, restarting the PC with XP Home solved the problem.
    Sunday, August 10, 2008 3:44 PM